Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I found time to work on my car a little bit today. I did a compression test on it. All cylinder, but two were 148 psi and number 5 and 2 were 130 psi. So I would say rings and pistons are good. That is good news! I am going to order valve seals in next couple days. I have been doing research on what I am going to do with the distributor and boost retard. I found that my acessory brackets will not fit with the factory HEI distributor. So I brought this setup from a guy. View attachment 76051 The problem now is digital 6a don't have boost retard capabilities. You either have to add a retard box or use a different ignition box. A retard box is over two hundred dollars a 6btm box is almost 600. So I think I am going to buy one of these. View attachment 76052 They are over 500 bucks, but offer a lot of security. This box will wire into ingnition 6a box I will have. When it senses knock it retards the timing until it clears up. It can advance timing at startup. Revlimiters, launch and top end. It does a lot of cool crap other wards. Kind of a security blanket for dummies like me. What do you guy's think?

for the loose of oil check the pcv, that can help you engine consume more oil that you think possible, also you may want to do a leak down test.

Zacheus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2017
One price. Second the Sniper is not boost referenced and the Fitech Power Adder is.
Sniper unit is $999 and the power adder is $1195 you can snag a regulator with reference for less then $100, I’ve ran both and fitech customer service was enough for me to switch to a Holley and the handheld display is a way more user friendly.

Just throwing that out there I really enjoy your build thread definitely something different

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
^Have run both with boost? That is the hole catch to blow through if they can handle being pressurized and deliver more fuel at boost. I do not own either yet so I am open to the debate.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
^Have run both with boost? That is the hole catch to blow through if they can handle being pressurized and deliver more fuel at boost. I do not own either yet so I am open to the debate.
Have you run both? That is what I meant to ask.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As far as I understand, the O2 sensors will pick up the fuel need. The tricky part is retarding the timing under boost. If the Sniper has an external MAP, it should be able to be tuned. You may want to contact Mark Remmel, cutlassefi on here, Classic Oldsmobile, and realoldspower.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
As far as I understand, the O2 sensors will pick up the fuel need. The tricky part is retarding the timing under boost. If the Sniper has an external MAP, it should be able to be tuned. You may want to contact Mark Remmel, cutlassefi on here, Classic Oldsmobile, and realoldspower.
Probably going with a J&l Safe Gaurd for timing retard under boost.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I hate to say this, because it is totally in my nature to do the same, but you are over complicating this. If you are willing to spend ~$1500 on a bunch of hybridized systems to run this thing you are approaching it the wrong way. What I am getting at here is you should consider running one simple system that integrates only what you need to make this function.

Also, I know it may not seem like it... but you don't really need knock retard if you pay attention to the cylinder pressure, timing, and octane. While nice to have you don't require a rising rate fuel pressure regulator if your injectors and pump are large enough - I don't have anything but a set of 60lb/hr injectors, a high mileage stock fuel pump, and a Boost-A-Pump on my TBSS. The tune (both VE and MAF) compensates for the added airflow under boost and does not require pressure compensation.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Zacheus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2017
He could run one of those TBI GM small cap dizzy and have the unit control his timing

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
As for the distributor. How do you find a small cap factory distributor for a buick 3.8? Never seen one. People use what I am going to use a MSD. I don't think they are making those any more either. Mike I agree with you. It has snowballed on me a little bit. The thing that I should have done was. Bought a complete 87 engine and harness, but at the time it was expensive. Now I have all this crap and have more money into it. I am new to the tuning stuff and have never built a turbo engine. So I am trying to make the turbo end and tuning end as easy as I can with some same gaurds. If you know of better options I am all ears. Please explain more. Maybe the next guy can get something out of it.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
As for the distributor. How do you find a small cap factory distributor for a buick 3.8? Never seen one. People use what I am going to use a MSD. I don't think they are making those any more either. Mike I agree with you. It has snowballed on me a little bit. The thing that I should have done was. Bought a complete 87 engine and harness, but at the time it was expensive. Now I have all this crap and have more money into it. I am new to the tuning stuff and have never built a turbo engine. So I am trying to make the turbo end and tuning end as easy as I can with some same gaurds. If you know of better options I am all ears. Please explain more. Maybe the next guy can get something out of it.

I feel the experiment should be a fun one. I'd look at something like this: https://www.holley.com/products/fue..._injection/qfi_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/QFI-500BDM

I am not certain if you have an Odd or Even Fire V6 - because that system will not support Odd Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor