Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
After work Friday I cleaned up the car and went to the last car show at Jamar's drive in for the year.
20180803_180257.jpg
I met up with Grandamman. I had a good time visiting with him and some others. I did not get very many pictures of cars, but here are a few.
20180803_180721.jpg
20180803_180736.jpg
These two are couple car show friends cars.
20180803_180732.jpg
20180803_193820.jpg
That Malibu is one bad ****. 400+ horsepower. He is building a Elcomeno like it. It will be brother and sister he said. Malibu his and Elco his wifes. The reason I did not get any more pictures,I blame on Kent, and a lot of interest in my car! I did not get any thing to eat till afterwards. I stopped at McDonald's and ate in my car on the way home :-0. It was a good time.

Reactions: 7 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Ok as for the car. It is running very strong in the mid and uper RPM range. I think I have the best Hot Rod Power Tour car in the making here, at least in my mind. The timing problem I think we have that figured out now. I sent Chris a copy of my logs and configuration. The problem is the Sniper ignition map will not allow advance timing with too much MAP at RPM's lower than 1000 RPM. So basically it is not 100% set up for blow through. The fix is to download the better model software. Copy the ignition map and paste it in place of the Sniper ignition map. Then download it to the ECU. I have not got that done yet. I will let you know how it works out though. I have been definitely achieving my goals and getting my feet wet! Still think I should have went with a 87 Grand National intake and Mega Squirt in stead of a distributor and the Sniper. I know 81cutlass said that a year ago. Well I was younger and dumber then. He was right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Sorry to hear about the problems with the Sniper system but maybe you can feel good that a lot of others are having problems across several forums if the car isn't completely stock. Start collecting parts for the GN style intake and get er done down the road.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
By MAF you mean MAP, right?

Low range resolution for MAP vs RPM is huge for a well running Speed Density system for both the fuel and ignition maps.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Sorry to hear about the problems with the Sniper system but maybe you can feel good that a lot of others are having problems across several forums if the car isn't completely stock. Start collecting parts for the GN style intake and get er done down the road.
Thinking about it. Problem is you have to be fast when it comes to good deals. Buying peace by peace is expensive.
By MAF you mean MAP, right?

Low range resolution for MAP vs RPM is huge for a well running Speed Density system for both the fuel and ignition maps.
Yes you are correct. My bad. I will try to fix it. I will try and copy and paste a screen shot of the chart for you. So you can see what is going on.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
There is way too much fixed timing in that map. Your map should look more fluid, as though you have an air pump that picks up speed, volume, and efficiency with RPM and load - until it peaks and the volumetric efficiency peters off... or doesn't with forced induction. Here we are trading manifold absolute pressure for air mass but the idea is the same. Below is the timing table from my wagon, the airmass rarely goes over 0.84 g/cyl, so it is getting about 26* of timing at WOT, about 18* at idle, and 30* at cruise. There is some opinion that your VE table (fuel) should look like the inverse of your timing table - meaning that as one goes up, the other lowers and vice versa.

You really would benefit from tables what went 100 to 200 rpm increments up to a bit above your cruise RPM (say 3000), beyond that 400-500rpm increments would be plenty up until redline (you can see the jump point below at 3200rpm). So much more happens a lower speeds that impact driveability and comfort. Same goes for your MAP increments, tiny kPa increments would increase the resolution where you need it most.

1533495150665.png

For comparison sake this is a stock 3D timing map from an '02 Avalanche:

1533496156766.png

vs. a stock VE table.
1533496073937.png

And you can better see the inverse relationship as engine speed rises vs MAP/airmass.

Long story short, you don't need a MAP scale that goes to 8000rpm, you need one that goes to 6000rpm; and take those extra cells for use in the lower rev range.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh just because I suggested it doesn't mean i'm right!

I bet the sniper has a lot of opportunity it's just you are the trailblazer for small cube turbo setup. I'm sure it has the ability what you need to do, but nobody has done it yet. Keep chipping away at it and you will get there!

For sure get the spark more smooth like Mike's maps, jumping that little in the maps isn't what the engine wants.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Here is the table I stole from the other software.
20180806_203614.jpg
I tried to save it to the SD card three times and failed. Took my wife two minutes to do it. I put the SD card back in the handheld and uploaded the new configuration. Come to find out it had no base settings for anything on it. Dam it! I had to go through and set everything back up. Even the reference timing. At that point I got it setup and quite for the night. It was 10:30. I did take it out and drive it before resetting the reference timing. It did not back off the timing at launch, but it ran like crap because the timing was way off. One step forward and three steps backwards!

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I reeeelly want to go to either HRPT, or RK Nights at some point. I've driven my car about 5k miles so far since the swap, and nothing has exploded yet. Maybe I'll see you in 2019.

:devilish::devilish:

Keep at it man, diggin your setup. Might steal the theme for my aluminum headed SBB in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor