Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Awesome Zach!
Really happy for you buddy. Looks like some perseverance along with a little help from the guys here was all you needed.
Congrats!!
Thank you. Still has some room for
improvement and more boost! Glad to see you are back at it. Don't feel bad about your break. I have a truck project that has sat for five years because I got sour towards it. I still not ready to work on it yet.
Awesome job! Awesome car!
You are too kind! It is not up to you two guys standards or quality, but it has been a fun project with some rewards.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I took the car out for a quick spin. The new ignition map fixed the timing problem. It runs a lot smoother, spools faster, and will do this! View attachment 93708 It will fry them now. I think I have doubled my factory horsepower rating at 175. It is only hitting 9 psi of boost but it gets there pretty quick. Lots of fun now!
...damn. :p
Glad ya got those issues sorted out. There a way to save what you have in case you decide to tinker more? I'd do that.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You are too kind! It is not up to you two guys standards or quality, but it has been a fun project with some rewards.
You're driving and enjoying yours. I'm envious. Awesome work!

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I haven't done much to the car lately, but drive it. I have been trying to drive it at least one day a week, but the rain and my work schedule make it hard. It did spend the night away from home a couple weeks ago. I had to take my service truck home that day and I drove the Monte to work. My boss let me park it inside the back shop over night. I do not want the car sitting out over night in Fort Dodge. Bad idea. The other night I drove my car to work and was running late so I took it through the drive through and ate in my car on the way home.
20180830_190848.jpg
I know this might make some people cringe, but I don't care. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed! I did finally get my annoying exhaust leak fixed. I had to get a new liner for my mig welder before I could fix it. Check this nonsense out!
20180814_202034.jpg
I do plan to put new exhaust on the car after the driving season is over. My plan is to keep it together for the Cruise To The Woods, and then I don't care. I am very happy with how the car runs and drives right now. It runs so much smoother now that I changed the timing table. The one thing I am going to try soon is relocating my knock sensor. I put it in the front of my intake in the water jacket. On a 87 Grand National the knock sensor is on the back of the block were my factory one is. I believe it is not in a coolant passage either. I am still getting a red light on my knock gauge at any were over 7 psi of boost. Only getting up to 10psi. I think it is picking up too much fauls knock were it is. I am hard of hearing. So I can not hear detonation. As many times I have red lighted it, it should have blew up by now. I do back out of it through just to be safe. That's all I have for now.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Small update. I have been driving the car as much as I can. With the rain and my work schedule it has been hard. I have not done much to the car lately because I am trying to keep it together for the Cruise To The Woods October 7th, and because it runs so damn good. I moved my knock sensor to the factory location. That helped a lot. When it is cooler out (65°) i don't get any knock and when it is hoter out and the engine is hot (90°) I get a little knock at higher boost. I will get a red light for a second when I back out of the throttle a little bit at higher RPM. That is the timing advancing too soon I think. I also screwed my waist gate rod in a 8th of a inch. I am running up to 12psi of boost now. Runs the best around 7-10 psi of boost though. It is just plain awesome to drive! I am going to put some Cam2 in the tank some time and turn the boost up some more and see how it does. I don't really need to though. If it is a lot better, I will put a meth injection system on it. I did run across a good deal on some springs and shocks. Two inch UMI drop springs, Moog rear springs and UMI shocks.
20180914_182910.jpg
The plan is. I am going to take the coilover shocks and factory springs off the rear and see if the new springs drop the back down a inch. I am going to keep the front ones for a future brake upgrade. I have spent the last two days getting my 70 Nova running. The car has sat for over a year and a half. I had to rebuild a couple fuel lines because I let it sit with ethanol gas in it. Had a little issue with the starter too. All I was trying to do was move it from one garage to another.
20180917_184002.jpg
20180917_184015.jpg
That car is ten miles away at my mother's house. I drove the Monte back and forth to get stuff.
20180917_190601.jpg
And a tribute to my belated father! Tiger Paw's don't leave very good black marks, but they sure do smoke!

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I love those X bodies!

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I swapped out the rear springs and shocks. I was hoping it would drop a inch. No luck! It sets up a half inch taller! I even left the insulators out. The new springs were the same hight as the old ones, but a little stiffer. I was hoping after taking the coilover shocks off it would drop. Here is what I took off.
20180921_204318.jpg
Hopefully it will settle some after I drive it. They are Moog rear springs, but I don't know what number they are. Any one know what Moog springs that will give me a one inch drop, and what springs will give me a two inch drop? Maybe I should bite the bullet and by UMI rear springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor