Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Are you using a laptop or just the Holley display for tuning?

You can purchase a splitter for the CAN connector so that you can use both at the same time. I paid $50 for the splitter cable and it works fine. Much easier to use both the Holley 3.5" dash and laptop at the same time or decide which one to use without having to swap cables around. I'm mentioning this because if you head down the flex sensor path, then I believe you have to use a laptop for the programming and assigning the inputs - again, I believe.

I feel your pain being a heavy equipment mechanic. The one main reason I never wanted to get into that - winter.

Hold fast brother and speak up if you need something.

Jim
I greatly appreciate the offer. I do not have a splitter cable yet. I have used the software on my laptop to change my timing map. The Holley Sniper is not very friendly to a turbo blow through, but a Stelth is. I copied and pasted the better map and tweaked it from there. I plan on probably putting the car in storage till spring and working on the Nova this winter. So most likely I will not get back to the Monte till spring. What kind of Holley product are you using? I can not remember.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a Terminator X Max. But the software is the same for all, just more optional ICF's as the ECU get's more capabilities. Tuning an HP or a Dominator for the base maps that you have work exactly the same. Just more inputs, outputs, and some more complex strategies in the additional ICF's. The Terminator X is just about the same as yours.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Holley term that took me a while to remember - Individual Configuration Files, i.e fuel, spark, boost, trans, etc.. It's their crafty way to use a term that no one else uses. Every aftermarket ECM does the same thing, just doesn't use that term, or any term for that matter.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Holley term that took me a while to remember - Individual Configuration Files, i.e fuel, spark, boost, trans, etc.. It's their crafty way to use a term that no one else uses. Every aftermarket ECM does the same thing, just doesn't use that term, or any term for that matter.
I have to respect that. I'm in telecom, and the same acronym can have 50 different meanings.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been doing a little research. Adding a flex fuel sensor would be the hot ticket I think. Does not look too bad to set up either. Right now the only place I can get 93 octane is Walmart in Fort Dodge. Witch is 34 miles away. I work in Fort Dodge so what I have been doing is filling up every time I drive it to work. Not very convenient. Every other gas station has E85. If I run E85 I can run a lot more boost and timing = more power. And my understanding is, it is a lot more forgiving if you are off a little on the tune. The people that run E85 through a TBI injection say to run straight gas through it from time to time and don't let it sit for a long period of time with E85 in the system. So either I need two tunes stored. One for 93 and one for E85 and switch between the two depending on what I put in the tank. Or I put a flex fuel sensor in and it automatically adjusts. I do need some stall in the transmission worse though. I have been waiting for the factory 350 turbo transmission to sh*t itself first, but it keeps going. I also need a oversized puck for my waist gate. The TH puck does not seal perfectly all the time. Hence why I get variation of 2-5 psi of boost. I am only running 12-17 psi, which is plenty with my tuning ability right now. I would like to run more. The problem is the waistgate hole in the turbo is bigger than a factory turbo and the puck is only slightly bigger. I realigned it the best I could a while back, but a oversized one would be better and would allow me to run more boost along with taking away some lag. There is a lot that needs to be done now that I think about it. Don't get me wrong though. The car runs really well the way it is. It definitely would put a hurting on a Buick 350 from south of here.😜

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So is the holley sniper TBI style you have running the same control system as a holley terminator just instead of injectors as outputs it has the TBI unit?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So is the holley sniper TBI style you have running the same control system as a holley terminator just instead of injectors as outputs it has the TBI unit?
Same software. If you can tune one, then the differences between the entry level to the professional level are not extreme. I'm sure if Zach can handle his Sniper adequately if I sent him one of my logs and tunes, then he could load the tune in hos laptop and figure what is going on with my log. This is something that Holley got right. Same computer, adapter and base knowledge requirements.

I have a close friend with a similar build to mine that is running an HP rather than a Terminator - the software and base tuning is identical. He has a bunch more I/O's and I believe 3 more options in a couple of ICF's. He added a Holley tablet and has made it be his entire dash including warning lights turn signals and high beam indicator,etc. It's quite neat.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Yes. The Sniper uses the same controller. The difference is the packaging. The Sniper the controller and injectors are built in to it. The Terminator is a better design, but cost a considerable amount more money.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes. The Sniper uses the same controller. The difference is the packaging. The Sniper the controller and injectors are built in to it. The Terminator is a better design, but cost a considerable amount more money.
Realistically it is not a better design, but the same design. The Sniper includes the TB(hardware) . The terminator assumes you are installing it in an LS based vehicle (no hardware). But both are a plug n play giddyup. I believe the Terminator X had more I/O’s. , but not many lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor