Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Any thoughts or questions?
Me thinks it looks good!!! The Sniper system seems like a reliable setup and using a boost referenced regulator is easy peasy!
I'm definitely curious to see it up and running as I'm not familiar with that turbo setup at all. Does the blow through setup allow more capabilities than draw through?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Me thinks it looks good!!! The Sniper system seems like a reliable setup and using a boost referenced regulator is easy peasy!
I'm definitely curious to see it up and running as I'm not familiar with that turbo setup at all. Does the blow through setup allow more capabilities than draw through?
For your question : more capabilities by far! The 3.8 turbo engines are basically all the same from 79-87. Little better heads and cam in the 86,87 but not much better. The induction is were the power is made. If you go back and look at the pictures of the draw through stuff you can see why. Very restricted and no good ways to really in prove it. With what I am doing is basically making it like a 87 engine. The difference is instead of using the sfi intake I am using a tbi. I have a friend that has the same basic set up running 12 with a smaller turbo and carb.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Should be, but I am sorry it is not! Hay Mike is there a way to run coil packs with this set up? Like using a cam sensor instead of a distributor.

No worries, I am never paid what I am worth. ;)

Maybe? The stock Buick stuff is waste spark which if I remember correctly used the crank sensor and a hall effect sensor to fire one of 3 coil packs 3 times per revolution, regardless of whether the cylinder was firing or not. Kinda stupid and lazy.

That being said there is possibility that your MSD distributor could be used along with something like MegaSquirt to fire a Coil-Near-Plug (ala LS1) system. Alternatively you could try wiring in the Ford EDIS coils too.

Truthfully a strong single coil triggered off of a distributor can do the job just fine. Adding a capacitive discharge box would help true up the low to mid range.

I am just spit balling here...

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
No worries, I am never paid what I am worth. ;)

Maybe? The stock Buick stuff is waste spark which if I remember correctly used the crank sensor and a hall effect sensor to fire one of 3 coil packs 3 times per revolution, regardless of whether the cylinder was firing or not. Kinda stupid and lazy.

That being said there is possibility that your MSD distributor could be used along with something like MegaSquirt to fire a Coil-Near-Plug (ala LS1) system. Alternatively you could try wiring in the Ford EDIS coils too.

Truthfully a strong single coil triggered off of a distributor can do the job just fine. Adding a capacitive discharge box would help true up the low to mid range.

I am just spit balling here...
I would like to use the distributor, but I am having trouble figuring out how to make the aluminum j mount work with it. I want to have a/c and the easiest way is to use the 87 acessory brackets. I could make my own, but that will be a lot of work.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I got some work done on the car this afternoon. I changed out the valve seals and valve springs. I got the new Comp valve springs in a deal when I bought my turbo. So i decided to use them. These Buick turbo engines only have valve seals on the intake valves. The exhaust valves or special to these engines. I don't think I will do that again with the heads on and engine in the car. What a misrable son of a buick that was! My wife and three year old daughter came in the shed right when I dropped the same valve keeper for the fourth time. They got a ear full of my potty mouth. Some of them went the way they should and some of them faught me to the bitter end. I am glad that is done. Here is a picture of the tool I used. View attachment 76981 I need to do a few odd ends, and then I am ready to start asembling this thing. Next I am going to clean the block and paint it a little bit. You will not see much of the block when I am done, so I am not too worried about how the paint turns out. Just don't want it to stick out with the freshly painted intake and valve covers. I think I am going to wrap my headers and down pipe before I put them on. That will help with the under hood temps and keep my plug wires and such from melting. Stay tuned. It is going to start looking like some thing soon.
where'd you get that tool? I've been looking for one of those made out of an old rocker shaft. They look pretty nifty.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I would like to use the distributor, but I am having trouble figuring out how to make the aluminum j mount work with it. I want to have a/c and the easiest way is to use the 87 acessory brackets. I could make my own, but that will be a lot of work.

I know I had to clock my alternator when I put the Holley Mid-Rise on my TBSS. You are going to have to get creative. The good news is that you can probably make spacers/offset plates pretty easily to gain the space you need as the entire FEAD off a Turbo Buick is pretty modular by design.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
where'd you get that tool? I've been looking for one of those made out of an old rocker shaft. They look pretty nifty.
You can borrow mine if you want. I think it came from Cotton's Performance. I know they sell one. If the heads are off use a normal valve spring compressor tool. It will work better. You could make one pretty easy if you have extra rocker arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor