BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Accent/paint break color to seperate the blue & dark gray on the paint line? Just asking cause I'm intrigued on how the tu-tone is going to be laid out.
I'm excited to see that color combo but my usual disappointment while I understand it is that a lot of people will do orange or another bright color to separate the 2
suspense GIF
on the big ticket car part

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Not really Jeff, it’s going to be a little different. I’ll post more on that a little later with pictures. And yes, the lower color has been decided, it’s Viper Blue Pearl.
Mmmm. One of my favorites. My brother in law had a 65 Impala he painted this. Just something about that color 😍

• Agree

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
TIG welder

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just curious Donovan, have you decided on the lower colour? Will it be a similiar 2 tone style as Olds Cool?

Sorry for the late reply on this Jeff, but I was just about to start work this morning when I replied, and didn’t have the time to get more in-depth into it until now.

The two tone break line will be sort of similar to Olds Cool for the first little bit, it’ll follow along the main fender and door body line…

IMG_3991.jpeg

…right up until it reaches underneath the quarter glass windows here:

IMG_3992.jpeg

From that point on is where it’s going to deviate significantly. In stock form, that body line curves up and eventually disappears beneath the quarter glass moulding, and then a new, separate body line starts again seemingly out of nowhere in the middle of the quarter panel here:

IMG_3993.jpeg

It’s the one thing I’ve never liked about these cars, it breaks up the lines of the car and makes it look disjointed and clunky.

My plan is to carry this fender and door body line…

IMG_3991.jpeg

..along underneath the quarter glass window, keep a bit of the curve, but then extend over to the front corner of the second quarter panel body line here…

IMG_3995.jpeg

…and then carry on along the original quarter panel body line:

IMG_3994.jpeg

To illustrate this a little better, I ran some blue fineline masking tape in the planned scheme:

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

This makes much more sense to me, I honestly don’t know why the designers at Oldsmobile didn’t do this to begin with. The only reason I can think of is to pay homage to the 1972 Cutlass Supreme that had a similar body line layout. (I didn’t much care for that one either)

Now this is going to be no easy feat, several sections of body lines will need to be removed entirely (like the one that starts in the middle of nowhere), and others will need to be created where they never existed before. Plus there are slight changes in the elevations across the two body lines that I’ll have to contend with as well. But I’m committed, I absolutely think this needs to happen, so I’ll figure out a way to do it.

Accent/paint break color to seperate the blue & dark gray on the paint line? Just asking cause I'm intrigued on how the tu-tone is going to be laid out.

Still to be determined. Funny you should ask, I actually had a conversation about this very topic only yesterday with a good friend of mine. Several options were suggested, but like I said, it’s still to be determined. Might be a silver, a silvery grey, gold, or maybe even carbon fibre. Who knows at this point?
I’ll have to play around with the two main colors and see what works well with them.

I'm excited to see that color combo but my usual disappointment while I understand it is that a lot of people will do orange or another bright color to separate the 2
suspense GIF
on the big ticket car part

You’re not crazy, not on this suggestion at least! It’s actually quite common to separate two main contrasting but complimentary colors with a third, wilder color that you think wouldn’t work. Whether that will apply here or not, again who knows. Gotta do some color experimentation first.

Mmmm. One of my favorites. My brother in law had a 65 Impala he painted this. Just something about that color 😍

Yep, I absolutely fell in love with that color from the instant I set eyes on it. It’s beautiful, and absolutely pops in the sun.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, this is what we’re talking about:

IMG_3980.jpeg

I painted the engine block that color.

IMG_3986.jpeg

And, anybody remember this stylized rendering a former member here made for me several years ago? It’s still the target!

IMG_3988.png

I think it will be a very cool colour combo Donovan.

Thanks Jeff, I think so too. It’s fairly unique, there’s not a lot of other examples like it out there. Should be one more “over the top” two color feature on the car to blow minds with!

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
And, anybody remember this stylized rendering a former member here made for me several years ago? It’s still the target!

IMG_3988.png
My lord is that bad to the bone. 100% bad azzery and georgious at the same time!!!

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You’re not crazy, not on this suggestion at least! It’s actually quite common to separate two main contrasting but complimentary colors with a third, wilder color that you think wouldn’t work. Whether that will apply here or not, again who knows. Gotta do some color experimentation first.
Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for posting all of the photos, showing where the break in the 2 tone will go Donovan. The way you laid out that narrow tape really illustrated it well. I'm looking forward to seeing you modify the body lines on the rear quarters, to achieve your goal.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor