MALIBU The Sunken Ship Build Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
It seems impossible to find a full rebuild kit for a later one piece sbc, especially with .030 over pistons. Am I missing something?

I called a Napa machine shop close by, and they quoted me $18 per cylinder to bore it .030 over, $65 to hot tank the block, and $180 to Magnaflux the heads and a valve job at the same time. Comes out to $385.

Is this a fair price?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It seems impossible to find a full rebuild kit for a later one piece sbc, especially with .030 over pistons. Am I missing something?

I called a Napa machine shop close by, and they quoted me $18 per cylinder to bore it .030 over, $65 to hot tank the block, and $180 to Magnaflux the heads and a valve job at the same time. Comes out to $385.

Is this a fair price?
If I were considering using that block I'd first have it hot tanked and magnafluxed, then bored with new freeze plugs and cam bearings installed by a shop.

That's a couple things left off your estimate.

Getting a good tool from snap on or fighting it yourself isn't worth doing the cam bearings for the low (under $100) it would cost.

After that, what are you getting in the valve job for $180 to magnaflux and do the heads?

Are they just replacing guides and seals? What about springs? I think at least a couple valves themselves may be suspect from that piston impact, is their replacement included?

Need more details on exactly what is being done on those heads, because parts alone to do guides, seats, and valves are probably over $180 alone if everything is rebuilt with new. If reusing some pieces, which ones?

Reactions: 1 user

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I'd still like to get them Magnafluxed, but I'm not there was any contact with heads. I'll call again tomorrow.

20210410_162533.jpg
20210410_162537.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Shops I've dealt with a valve job is just that: disassemble, clean, grind, reassemble. Knurling guides=extra. Replacing guides=extra labor and parts. Replacing valves and/or springs= extra$ parts

I remember when the local "performance" guy got $8 a hole to bore

Nobody hot tanks anymore...EPA issues. Most everybody bakes and blasts

If you can find a guy with a jet-spray tank that's a plus. Used to be in shops that did a lot of aluminum air-cooled stuff.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that's a good price compared to my area.in the least replace the guides over knurling them,it's kinda of a shortcut that sometimes comes back to bite you.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Got a fuse box! It came with the 350 I bought, it's from a 99' tahoe. Even got spots for some MAXI fuses.
Best part is, it'll look factory.. cause it is! View attachment 172890
This is what I used for my 6.2 LS swap and it worked great. I added terminals where needed, eliminated the fusible links and used maxi fuses instead.

Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I called em, and to only clean and Magnaflux both heads it is $50, much better!. Because I can do the heads myself if they need it.
I forgot exactly what he said, but somewhere around $50 to polish the crank, or $160 to grind it.

If I'm using the original 78 HEI dizzy, this is the gear I need for the roller cam? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850468

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
More bad luck! The crank is toast!
20210414_100355.jpg

20210414_100351.jpg

I'm pretty sure the story is that this engine completely lost oil pressure. My witness lol!
20210414_103859.jpg

And the oil pump gears were rough and pitted, so I think It had no oil in it, and not just a pump failure.

I'm gonna find an LT1 now I think. Shoulda done it to start with.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Try to find an engine

A) about to be pulled in a running vehicle you can hear

B) from a yard with a start up warranty

C) at least with video of it running and a written guarantee from the seller.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Try to find an engine

A) about to be pulled in a running vehicle you can hear

B) from a yard with a start up warranty

C) at least with video of it running and a written guarantee from the seller.
This is what I should have done, but hindsights 20-20 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor