MALIBU The Sunken Ship Build Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
asking because the 7.5" differentials I'm familiar with in the 91-96 L03/l99 caprices cant handle stock lt1 power. Thankfully the General graced the LT1 cars with an 8.5.
When you say the general the first thing that popped into my head was the general insurance commercial

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I got another engine! This one seems to be good so far. It's a LT1 w/4l60e from a 95' Trans Am, and got it for $600.
Only pic I have for today

20210423_185516.jpg

I removed some spark plugs and the cylinders looked good, the oil is there and doesn't look sparkley. The trans is full and the fluid is a bright red color. Plus, the seller said it ran before he removed it, but we'll see.

Should I try and start it? Or just go ahead disassemble it first?

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It would take a fair amount of effort to get it started by itself. The swap is going to take some effort though.....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's another you didn't hear it run, or see a video of it running... I'd start it if possible.

At the least I'd leakdown test it before thinking disassembly.

What I don't get though, to be honest, is between the vortec you bought. And now this lt1, you're over halfway to a 100% brand new gm crate 350/290hp that you could then swap heads and cam to push closer to mid 300s. It would've been a direct drop in and wouldn't need fuel system upgrades.

It's a lot, I mean a LOT of money just to get an obsolete lt1 that parts are drying up for (optispark) before you even refresh the motor.

4l60e is junk. I'd never bother with all the effort of putting one into a car, and I'd prefer not to buy anything with one but would switch to a 4l80 if it did. 200-4R can be built better cheaper if OD is a must, as a bonus it needs no electric computer controller.

Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
It's another you didn't hear it run, or see a video of it running... I'd start it if possible.

At the least I'd leakdown test it before thinking disassembly.

What I don't get though, to be honest, is between the vortec you bought. And now this lt1, you're over halfway to a 100% brand new gm crate 350/290hp that you could then swap heads and cam to push closer to mid 300s. It would've been a direct drop in and wouldn't need fuel system upgrades.

It's a lot, I mean a LOT of money just to get an obsolete lt1 that parts are drying up for (optispark) before you even refresh the motor.

4l60e is junk. I'd never bother with all the effort of putting one into a car, and I'd prefer not to buy anything with one but would switch to a 4l80 if it did. 200-4R can be built better cheaper if OD is a must, as a bonus it needs no electric computer controller.
Why you gotta be hating on my LT1s? Lol

But, this engine is 300hp stock with modern efi and good fuel economy. They're not obsolete (yet, but ICE engines in general may be obsolete here soon anyway) and I have years of experience with em'.
Plus I ain't afraid of no wires, the computer controlledness of the 4L60E doesn't bother me, I actually prefer it.

A leakdown test seems like a great idea. Hopefully the autozone has the tool.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The carb car fuel lines are a smaller ID than the FI cars got. So, plan on a tank (something from 4.3 monte or 84-87 3.8 turbo regal works easiest, gives you an in tank fuel pump, adding an inline filter inside the frame rail like the factory fi cars, upgrading the fuel lines, etc. Use your filler neck from the carbed Malibu tank. Unless your plans called for a fuel cell anyways. Then it's just the lines and filter you're looking at.
All the Malibus here have 3/8 line from the assembly plant (81 and 82)

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Why you gotta be hating on my LT1s? Lol
Not so much having, just doesn't mesh with this car supposedly being a budget build.

It extends the build time, adds lots to the cost, and, injects the need for parts which aren't so widely available and are trending towards costliness.
Plus I ain't afraid of no wires, the computer controlledness of the 4L60E doesn't bother me, I actually prefer it.
There's many hundreds of dollars in extra costs to use the electronically controlled transmission. 4l60s were a poor decision that gm should've bypassed entirely. I like the keep it simple principle where it works. On a conversion I have a hard time seeing the reason for the added expense and effort where power levels aren't going to be high, and again, if it ever headed there I'd skip over the 60 series trans anyways. Again, on a supposed budget build... I dunno, just see it different.

What's more, it's from a fbody.... it's probably been flogged to hell. My guess is it came from one of two things:

A - an abused and wrecked higher mileage car, or,

B - someone was tired of optispark issues and had some trans slippage, decided to put a better driveline setup in.

A leakdown test seems like a great idea. Hopefully the autozone has the tool.
Another idea is get the vin numbers off the case/block, and run a history report. It could at least tell you the true mileage.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
It's not quite so much a "budget" build then not wanting to spend almost 2k on an ls swap. The LT1 is a good middle ground between a modern, expensive ls swap, and an cheap, old school carbed sbc. The owner wants a reliable "muscle car" and if it's good on gas, than that's a huge benefit.

If the trans works (dunno how to test it tho) and looks great inside, then my plan was to use it instead rebuilding the th350. With near 300hp and in a car this light, I don't see the transmission being much more of a weak point than the diff.
I can (and have on my Caprice) for free, tune the pcm, which controls the transmission as well.
What's more, it's from a fbody.... it's probably been flogged to hell. My guess is it came from one of two things:

A - an abused and wrecked higher mileage car, or,

B - someone was tired of optispark issues and had some trans slippage, decided to put a better driveline setup in
I agree, which I'm going to scrutinize everything, though it seems like the 6spd cars get abused more. But at least it's much better off so far than that stupid vortec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor