There Sure Are A Lot of "Ferd" Threads Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to have a Ford but I fell into it by chance and in my defense it's really only a Ford body with the good bits being made by people who actually know how to build stuff....

96 F-250 4x4 Powerstroke with a 5 speed.

Guy was the neighbor of a friend and couldn't make it run. Had a couple diesel "mechanics" out to look it over and they were clueless. He wanted a truck that worked and I jokingly offered my '88 2wd extended cab, long bed, 5 speed, 5.7 Chevy pickup that had 218k on it. He kinda laughed but wanted to look at it anyway. After a month of him talking to my buddy he decided to go ahead with the trade. I couldn't believe it! Even if I parted this Ferd out I could make money as I had only paid $1000 for the Chevy to start with.

We towed the f250 to my house with the Chevy, dude got in it and drove off. I set to work figuring out the flowerjoke. First off I put a new set of batteries in it. And just looked it over. Pulled the dipstick and it was low with just the end having oil but didn't think much about it. It would turn over but didn't try to light at all. Would actually light on ether. Pulled the dipstick again and noticed the drop at the end was smaller than before, weird. Wiped it off, put it back, pulled it again, nothing. No oil on it at all. Put a quart of oil in the engine, pulled the dipstick, nothing... Put a gallon in it, pulled the dipstick, nothing......ended up putting ten quarts in it before it was in the 'safe' area. It cranked over and sputtered to life after sitting at this guy's house for 18 months!! I couldn't believe it!!! I had been working on it for 45 minutes and had a running diesel truck! I drove it around the neighborhood, just feeling it out. It ran pretty well, didn't smoke or make any weird noises. Then after 18 miles it shut off. Refused to restart. It had lost all of the oil I put into it. No visible leaks and it wasn't smoking. I remembered the PO saying he siphoned some fuel from both tanks and that the front one was really dark. Blamed his crazy ex wife, said she probably poured something in it. I added more oil and it ran again. Finally pinned it down to the fuel injector orings. These are HUEI injector engines (use high pressure oil to run the injectors) and it was passing high pressure oil into the fuel system. The front 18ish gallon tank had something like 30 quarts of motor oil in it. $120 in new orings and it's been great for the last 6 years. Oh, it had 141k when I got it, has 154k now.
IMG_20160415_143157582.jpg
IMG_20160219_141606282_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151025_091951347_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161225_091233236_HDR.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
I worked at a Ford dealer as an apprentice. I saw a lot of 6.9 and 7.3 motors. The early ones had issues with porous cylinders, antifreeze wept through. Other than that they were good motors especially the last generation. Then came the International 6L. Gee, let's put 4 head bolts per cylinder on a turbo diesel, GM/Olds did that 25 years ago, worked awesome for them;). Then the 6.4, unreliable and fuel hogs. But that is the problem with modern diesels, poor fuel economy and an emissions nightmare.

My son works as a DJ on weekends in college. He has our 2000 Yukon XL 2500 to haul all his crap around (and it can pull a 7500lb trailer), but he wants a Van.

Our Local Picknpull has this for $1,900:

2006 E-350 Diesel with 115,000 miles

I sent him this link. He saw it was a 6.0L and told me to Run Away! For $1,900 how bad could it be?

Toy box 2 with the G... and the 66 Nova
toy box 2.jpg

But this is toy box three... lol
The Grabber orange car is a DD v6, the Red GT is Pro Charged...Fairly built, both are 08's
I loved the Retro S197 when it came out in 2005. I really don't like the new Camaro's looks. I liked the Challenger's, but I wanted a balanced car. The Mustang handles a LOT better.
toy box three.jpg

Always been a GM guy but those did it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My son works as a DJ on weekends in college. He has our 2000 Yukon XL 2500 to haul all his crap around (and it can pull a 7500lb trailer), but he wants a Van.

I sent him this link. He saw it was a 6.0L and told me to Run Away! For $1,900 how bad could it be?
I have a 2006 F250 with a 6.0 diesel. We have had it for six years. Had 50000 miles on it when we bought it. It has 110000 now. No big problems for me. Brake calipers. Turbo veins stick once in a while causing the check engine light to come on. I only use the truck when I need it and it gets worked. The only thing I don't like about it is the fuel milage. Don't put a tuner on a stock 6.0!

I've got an 04 dually with the 6.0.
Been good for 110000 so far.
Just no tuner!!!!!

got a buddy with an 05 f250 4x4 6l, and tells me that they have upper end weakness with the oil system and cylinder heads... he just upgraded the oil system and is looking to get the engine bulletproofed....http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1206tr-6-0-power-stroke-bulletproofing-tactics/
he's had the fuel system issues as well, but it's been a really reliable truck, and a few years ago, I drove it almost 600 miles, and rode like caddy on the freeway, with gobs more power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor