thinking about update car audio need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

avin85cutty

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2012
when i bought the car it has a shitty cassette tape stereo. (not stock) and 2 old *ss speakers in the trunk bungy cord tied against the back seat. i also think the front speakers by the windshield work but most be stock and sound horrible.. and ideas? how did u do ur car audio. i dont plan on putting subs in my car. i just bought a pioneer stereo and thinking about what brand speakers and where to put them. i would like to disconnct my front speakers and just leave them there.. but want speakers in the front and back to balance out the sound..just have no idea where to install and how

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
If you're not going all out on a stereo, i would get some good quality 3.5" dash speakers, i have had good luck with the JBL line of speakers in that size. i would also get a pair of bass blockers for the 3.5" speakers too, so the speakers will last longer. You can get a set of speaker adapters so you can mount 6x9 speakers in the rear deck under the rear window where the original 4x10 speakers are. I have had nothing but problems with the 4x10 size speakers, i have replaced them so many times over the years. I got the adapters for the rear and i am now running 6x9's back there with no problems.

my recommendations for the entry level system are.
good quality deck, Pioneer in my opinion are great.

3.5" dash speakers, a good quality brand like JBL, Pioneer or the like. These size speakers you dont need a lot of wattage, just make sure the speakers are higher wattage than the deck is. and get a pair of bass blockers

6x9 rear deck speakers, with adapters. a good quality brand like JBL, Pioneer or the like.

I would also add a small amplifier for the 6x9, i've had a kenwood 200 watt amp in the trunk for my 6x9's for over a decade and it works fine and sounds good.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I would replace the front dash speakers bro. They are easy to replace just when you do u Gotta watch out for the speaker depth. I got 3.5 inch mtxs in my dash up front they have have built in tweeters also. Then in the rear I got three way audiobahns 4x10 speakers. Then some lil cheep tweeters I got that Imma install on the apiller plastics.I got nice clear sound just with that setup.

also when switching to 6x9 speakers in the rear there is some modification required. And also your rear seat back will sit forward a couple inches.

avin85cutty

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2012
sounds like im replacing the front speakers..lol thanks guys helps alot. also where can i find the rear deck thing for speakers to install 6x9s back there. i was also thinking of getting a small ap for the speakers

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
I would replace the front dash speakers bro. They are easy to replace just when you do u Gotta watch out for the speaker depth. I got 3.5 inch mtxs in my dash up front they have have built in tweeters also. Then in the rear I got three way audiobahns 4x10 speakers. Then some lil cheep tweeters I got that Imma install on the apiller plastics.I got nice clear sound just with that setup.

also when switching to 6x9 speakers in the rear there is some modification required. And also your rear seat back will sit forward a couple inches.

When you installed the MTX speakers up front, did you have to do any modifications or did they fit right in? And if they did do you remember what model they were

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
i have seen the rear adapters at parts stores, but i would check at an audio shop i bought a set for $25. First make sure your speakers fit in the adapters, mine were to big i ended up making a new package tray out of mdf n covering it with carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor