Torque Converter Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Hey guys whats up? I'm about ready to drop in my 5.3 into my Bu and converter is really the only thing holding me up. Il try to make a long story short but Ive called around a few local shops, TCI, and B&M about recommending a few converters for my setup. The main things they wanted to know was compression ratio, cam duration, so on and so forth. My cam card said 300 advertised duration so i told them that and about 9.5 compression ratio give or take a few points and my trans th350 etc. Basically the answer i got was anywhere from 2700- 3100 flash stall speed so i know what to get. My problem is they really stressed to me for it to be a proper setup was to run a 3.55 to 4.10 rear gear which i don't have im still doomed to the stock 2.28 which i didn't really think about until one of them brought it up. And im no trans expert but if im pulling 1900 rpm at 60 on the highway in a non lock up trans with a 3000 converter wouldn't that generate a ton of heat and burn up my trans?? Im gonna change the rear gear when i can but is it safe to drive until then cuz i really don't know when i can change the gears. Should i run some big A** cooler??

Also this is the first time ive ever used anything but a stock converter so if there is anything i need to know any help is appreciated

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You need to take a look at what your final combo is going to be - a proper set up needs to have the carb, intake, heads, cam, converter, and rear end all working together. With 300 duration you must have a pretty healthy cam. I think I would be more worried trying to run that cam with a 2.28 rear.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Well like I said the rear gear is temporary I just don't know for how long lol

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Yes get a good trans cooler.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
DoubleV said:
Yes get a good trans cooler.

And I should be good until I change the ring and pinion that way right? Cuz it might be like next year until I get it done

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Yep that gear will work in your 7.5". It may be worth looking into to just swap in a 8.8" rear end since a lot of them came with 3.73's, 4.10's and a posi too.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Id like to do that too. I just dont like the idea of pulling 3000 rpm on the freeway but I guess il do what I gotta do until I get an overdrive trans

An 8.8 is a bolt in swap right?

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Not a direct bolt in. There are a few changes that need to be made, such as shorten drive shaft a little, aftermarket trailing arms, re-drill wheel stud bolt pattern, etc., but it is definitely stronger than the 7.5 rear. We just did this swap on my buddy's S-10, it has leaf springs so he didn't have to buy trailing arms, but $250 for the Explorer rearend, $30 for another passenger side axle shaft, and $15 for the hybrid U-joint. So for $300 all said and done. I cut down the driver side axle tube 3" then re-welded it and stuck in the other passenger side axle because the Explorer rear is 5" wider, now it's only 2" wider and I chopped down the drive shaft 1 1/2" and welded for him. Then using one of his old drums we drilled the axles to 5x4.75 bolt pattern and installed new studs. If you do a search on the net for 8.8 Gbody swap you will find plenty of links on how to do it. Also people on this forum have done the same and can help you.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Chris you have once again been a huge help thank you.

Im gonna look into that in the near future. Im gonna try and get this motor swap out of the way first though. And maybe just temporarily change the gear in my 7.5 untill i collect a rear end and some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor