Torque converter to flexplate gap when installing new trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKRUZIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2012
Erie, PA
I am in the process of installing my new transmission in my 1981 Chevy Malibu I am have the new 700r4 transmission bolted up to the 305. my question is I have a gap that's 5/16 inch wide BEFORE I bolt the torque converter to the flexplate. The transmission is fully bolted to 305 to specs and the Torque converter is fully back on the pump as far back as possible. It also spins freely and smoothly with a finger. I know without doubt it is fully seated on transmission hub.
I have not bolted the torque converter to flex plate yet I was just checking the gap between a fully seated converter pads and the small bolt pads on the converter and I see 1/4 inch is the max tolerance before the torque convertor is bolted to flexplate.
any idea's? should I shim the torque converter by .125 inch or just bolt it on? the original transmission was a TH350 with lock up and the flex plate is supposed to be the same. I am running a stock 1650rpm stall torque converter with lock up.
Help Please

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Re: Torque converter to flexplate gap when installing new tr

I used to work at a transmission shop years ago. Sounds like you have rebuilt converter. When they do this,the converter is cut in half, :? Rebuilt and welded back together. Simply get some washers,make sure they are the same thickness and shim the converter. It will be fine. By doing this the ears on the converter hub will be fully engaged with the pump gears and that's important! Good luck...tim

RKRUZIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2012
Erie, PA

I called Monster Transmission they say the 5/16 gap is OK. just slide the coverter into the flexplate and bolt up. Sound OK?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

I had a 3 plus washer gap on my 2004r. I just sucked it forward, trans fluid poured out. I have used washers on multiple vehicles, no issues.

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011

RKRUZIN said:
You are correct. I think it's a reman torque converter..it's from Monster transmission. I was looking at these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-f ... /overview/

it will put me into a 1/4 inch gap that I read is ok

I know Meziere is a good name but $21.33 for 3 steel shims. :shock: I wonder what their profit on those is. 21 bucks?

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010

I just used some grade 8 washers on mine. I think it cost me $1.20 for like 9 of them that I needed

RKRUZIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2012
Erie, PA

I bolted it up as is..Monster Trans tech had me measure converter body to flexplate and said it's ok..It bolted up with no problem no fluid leaks...Turns ok..I'm a long way from starting it up..still have trans cooler lines and TV cable to do..does it matter what lines on trans go on upper cooler line on Radiator?

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota

i see a 5/16 gap alot on rebuilt ones its normal. i have used normal washers before and ive used ones that are made for it and there isn't much difference and perform the same.

RKRUZIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2012
Erie, PA

Hope you are right and Monster is also! I guess when everything is moving to flew plate pushes back on the toque converter anyway. I am nervous I guess about spending all the bling and then screwing up the transmission I guess.

my latest hangup is getting the TV cable in the hanger before bolting on the grommet it keeps falling off. I know I should have put it in before I put the trans in but I had to hurry the guy that was helping me had limited time.

also the shift cable mount needs changed I was looking at a 1983-1992 camaro bracket that used a 7004r

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor