Trans. Crossmember Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll have to check it out tonight after work and see what looks like the best way to do this. The thing I love about the bushings is that there is no nut to hold. You just put the sleeve in and tighten the bolts. It's really easy.

you could use a nut plate on an aluminum or steel plate so you would not have to use a box wrench up on top, or weld nuts on a steel plate. These nut plates have a locking thread so if you ever have to remove the bolt and reinstall it I would use a thread locking compound

MS21051.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
My blue El Camino had these when I pulled the engine and trans. Its a 79 and had the v6, strange how they optioned out these cars. Maybe since this one was the high trim level grandpa El Camino it got the rubber?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My base/low option '81 Monte had them on the original frame, it started life with a 229/TH200. I have yet to see a TH200-4R car with them.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I always thought it was a v6 thing. I can't say I've seen bushings on a v8 car. But every v6 GBody I've had, I put a v8 in it and went to the junkyard and got a v8 crossmember. I feel better having the crossmember solidly bolted to the frame like the older cars.. But then I'm an old guy...timo22

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I always thought it was a v6 thing. I can't say I've seen bushings on a v8 car. But every v6 GBody I've had, I put a v8 in it and went to the junkyard and got a v8 crossmember. I feel better having the crossmember solidly bolted to the frame like the older cars.. But then I'm an old guy...timo22
My car was a diesel but the Saginaw supposedly came out of a 79 Regal so who knows? However, with the type of work the previous owner did, there's no way he would have drilled the holes in the frame larger for the cushions. He would have just used bolts and nuts.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered the $90 red poly bushings with new sleeves. The reason? Convenience.

I have an '87 Monte Carlo parts car that had a V8. I got the crossmember from it to compare. It's not the same length and the holes are smaller. I tried putting it in my '86 Monte Carlo and I couldn't get it to fit. I need this car back on the road soon. I don't have time to mess with figuring out a solution to this problem. I've still got a transmission to rebuild and put in and then I have to fix my truck so I can use it to move into the house my fiance and I are buying. It killed my soul to spend $90 on these little bushings/isolators, whatever you want to call them but I didn't trust just putting a bolt and nut on. The holes in the crossmember are pretty big and it seemed like there would be potential for the crossmember to move. Check out these pics and you'll see what I mean.

20170404_210830-1024x1820.jpg

20170404_211101-1024x1820.jpg

20170404_211114-1024x1820.jpg

The good news is that I got the rebuild kit, torque converter, shift kit and transmission mount ordered as well. I'm hoping to be able to drive this car again soon!

Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Odd, I don't recall those bushing on any Gbody I have ever worked on. 99% sure the only bushing I have is on the trans mount.
They were there on my Regal. The rubber has swelled over the years, and I couldn't get them back in. I was tired of dicking around under the car so I discarded them and used some washers and longer bolts and baddabing it was done. Felt no difference while driving.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered the $90 red poly bushings with new sleeves. The reason? Convenience.

I have an '87 Monte Carlo parts car that had a V8. I got the crossmember from it to compare. It's not the same length and the holes are smaller. I tried putting it in my '86 Monte Carlo and I couldn't get it to fit. I need this car back on the road soon. I don't have time to mess with figuring out a solution to this problem. I've still got a transmission to rebuild and put in and then I have to fix my truck so I can use it to move into the house my fiance and I are buying. It killed my soul to spend $90 on these little bushings/isolators, whatever you want to call them but I didn't trust just putting a bolt and nut on. The holes in the crossmember are pretty big and it seemed like there would be potential for the crossmember to move. Check out these pics and you'll see what I mean.

View attachment 63655

View attachment 63656

View attachment 63657

The good news is that I got the rebuild kit, torque converter, shift kit and transmission mount ordered as well. I'm hoping to be able to drive this car again soon!
Is one of those a 2004rxmember?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Now I realize I bought these things and don't need them. I'm sure my G Force crossmember isn't set up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor