Trans fluid PSI at cooler ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
What PSI would a GM based transmission have at the cooler? TH350, 4L60, 80, 6L80, etc.
Street car, normal towing, some towing.
The question is mostly based in making a decision on hose barb, nipple with ridge, worm gear clamp, fuel injection hose clamp decisions.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looking at a TH350c hydraulic diagram the cooler return is transmission lube (Lubricates the bearings and clutches), There are no pressures given but it is not line pressure which can go as high as 260 PSI. Lube pressure is more like 30-50 PSI.

350c
350c Hyd diagram Neutral.jpg

4L60
4L60 Lube Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I'm not sure of the exact pressure, but one recommendation I have is not to use the hose that comes with Long Transmission Coolers. I have seen more than one burst. Get some good quality transmission cooler hose, and use as little as possible.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
35 to 60. But if you are just looking for line for cooler, use good quality fuel injection line. Make sure your connections are barbed at least single barb. Use good quality worm clamp, (stainless steel) and check for leaks after good test drive (about 50 to 100 miles). And double check after month of basic driving.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Since the return end just dumps back into the transmission reservoir. I'd be willing to bet, besides some restriction in the cooler and return lines, the pressure would be close to zero.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hose barb is more than adequate and fuel injection is plenty of overkill. Don't over think it haha.

Good luck - Jim

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
There's not much pressure going threw a trans cooler, max psi 25-30. I have always used hard line's that's just my preference.

Reactions: 1 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
They (rubber) will blow as in ie trans cooler, or sawed line to remove radiator ect. Seems when you get on the motor when accelerating that increases pressure... and like others mentioned' if there's no barbs and if you use 1 cheap gates type clamp or old hoses ect it is likly to occure. There was a GM' recall on cars that were catching fire ! yes transmission fluid burns like kerosene,how hot does kerosene burn? Let's say it will melt brass at 2000 f avg. Temp. Use 2 clamps 4 on one connection 8 clamps on 2 lines" to be safe better use a compression fitting to reconnect sawed lines

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor