Turbo 3800 T56 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have a 97 motor from a Camaro under my workbench. I've been sitting on. It's just waiting for a Sunbird or Astre to come back in my life. It was a knocker. Have the PCM and all the accessories. I think it gets no real love because...V6. Plus all the fabrication you mentioned. To most people that's a high bar. An LS is more available and many swap parts are available. Let's face it. Most people know jack about building a car, but they saw a YouTube video so they are ready to go. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. YouTube told them swap an LS and Amazon will sell them a turbo kit to make a jillion hp.

I've even considered swapping it into one of these extra third gen f cars I have laying around. I love your swap man. #inspiring

Reactions: 3 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So the car needs a wash but I finally installed a new set of wheels on the car.

I wanted something that looks a lot like my original wheels on the car, I know yearone makes some wheels for a few cars but nothing like the wheels I had on this car from the factory.
I also wanted something that would actually show off the new brakes on the car too. I've been looking for something like these since I've had the car and just haven't been a big fan of a lot of the wheels most sites sell that would fit these cars.

985WAup.jpg

I happened to find the new wheels stumbling around Summit's website and they fit the bill better than anything else I've been able to find. I might try and put the OEM center caps on them too later on. I'm super happy with them!

Side by side:
xT0DlSC.png

and an overlay:
sBH0JyK.png

Finally installed on the car after being ceramic coated

iQCg5PB.jpg

xR3H5Cp.jpg

Drove the car up to Michigan from Nashville yesterday for the start of power tour

7mJgazc.jpg

McRR5bj.jpg

So far the trip is going pretty well all things considered haha!

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 13 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Nice! Those wheels really set the car off.

Welds can make anything look great!

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I remember seeing the L67 Cutlass I think you're referring to back when I was doing the L27 swap in 2008 and it was an inspiration for me and basically proved that swaps like this are possible. I was still in High School and didn't know what I was getting into but Dave from Triple Edge Performance (builder/owner of that Cutlass) was pretty helpful when I asked questions. Too bad the website he had is gone but there's still some images circulating on the web about it. Afaik that was probably one of the first L67 g-body swaps out there but definitely the first one I saw.

The 3800 seems like the most ideal swap for a turbo Regal looking for a better engine IMO. Still a Buick motor but with much better flowing heads, a stronger base to start from, a PCM you can tune yourself, and plenty of aftermarket support for it.
Then there's things like the exhaust and motor mounts, and trans adapter plates that probably make the task a bit overwhelming though.
Hmmmm... I have some series 2 questions. What is the cam and crank trigger setup on those?

Do you know if its a hall effect pickup or a VR?

I may have been looking into this recently

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So the car needs a wash but I finally installed a new set of wheels on the car.

I wanted something that looks a lot like my original wheels on the car, I know yearone makes some wheels for a few cars but nothing like the wheels I had on this car from the factory.
I also wanted something that would actually show off the new brakes on the car too. I've been looking for something like these since I've had the car and just haven't been a big fan of a lot of the wheels most sites sell that would fit these cars.

985WAup.jpg

I happened to find the new wheels stumbling around Summit's website and they fit the bill better than anything else I've been able to find. I might try and put the OEM center caps on them too later on. I'm super happy with them!

Side by side:
xT0DlSC.png

and an overlay:

Finally installed on the car after being ceramic coated
I first saw those Welds & was on the fence.... Open this thread & boom. I like that they do resemble the OE wheel style. That's pretty cool.
Neat build.

nomoar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2014
Your car inspired me to do my own 3800 swap. The information you've posted, as well as others (Operation Lipstick on Pig for example) were a huge help in getting it done. It's taken me a good half year to get it finished, aside from some final details here and there (clean wiring :rolleyes:). I Bought a wrecked Camaro for $500 and was able to use just about everything from it. I'd love to go the turbo route next.

How are you tuning it? Are you using a gm pcm?

Malibu3800-1.jpg
Malibu_3800-2.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Hmmmm... I have some series 2 questions. What is the cam and crank trigger setup on those?

Do you know if its a hall effect pickup or a VR?

I may have been looking into this recently
Sure! So the crank has an 18x wheel on it from the factory on the outside of the balancer, and a ~3x "sync" signal on the inside.
The cam shaft has a single magnet on it.

There's guys who have run these things on Holley EFI (which is what I'm currently planning on doing) and they're using the 3x "sync" crank trigger. The Sync signal is actually not evenly spaced though so it's not really a 3x signal. I'm planning on running a universal crank trigger wheel when I go to Holley's EFI instead because it doesn't allow a 18x signal.
I'll try to dig up some literature on it but I believe they are a hall effect signal.

Edit: Yup, both cam and crank are both hall effect sensors

Last edited:

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Your car inspired me to do my own 3800 swap. The information you've posted, as well as others (Operation Lipstick on Pig for example) were a huge help in getting it done. It's taken me a good half year to get it finished, aside from some final details here and there (clean wiring :rolleyes:). I Bought a wrecked Camaro for $500 and was able to use just about everything from it. I'd love to go the turbo route next.

How are you tuning it? Are you using a gm pcm?

View attachment 182582 View attachment 182583
This is really awesome! I love how you were able to fit the A/C compressor down in the bottom location too, that's something I wish I would have done.

Wiring was probably the most time consuming part of the swap because you're basically rebuilding your own harness and power distribution. I feel your pain haha!
I'm tuning it with DHP myself but you could also use HPTuners too if you're using the stock PCM.
Fun fact, the 98-00 PCMs don't have any theft deterrent coded into them so you can pretty much just grab one of those and be ready to fire.

If you need any tuning help to get it going feel free to message me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor