"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are cool cars, you did a great job on the coupe. My dad had an '81 Spirit in the same body style, it was a nice little putt-putt car, only had the 2.5 Iron Duke, but it was unstoppable. Smallest back seat in the world. That's the car I learned to drive stick on. I wouldn't mind having one of these one day. My sickness would require a 401, but they did come with V8s until about '79.

DRIVEN said:
This thread made me start to reminisce. I wonder what ever happened to this one:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11233
Oops, looks like all his photo links are gone.

Ya I remembered that one recently too. He seemed to have just disappeared off the forum one day.

Johnnychrome said:
Very nice car! I used to have a sx/4 sport wagon in silver and black. 258, auto, loaded with all tha comfort features. i think it was an 83? I'd love to have another for a daily driver. Anyway your coupe is great and brought back fond memories of the ole American Motors Corp. I so enjoyed.
Intragration said:
These are cool cars, you did a great job on the coupe. My dad had an '81 Spirit in the same body style, it was a nice little putt-putt car, only had the 2.5 Iron Duke, but it was unstoppable. Smallest back seat in the world. That's the car I learned to drive stick on. I wouldn't mind having one of these one day. My sickness would require a 401, but they did come with V8s until about '79.

Thanks guys, I had a blast fixing that car up, I've always had a fascination with amc's, just never was able to justify dragging one home, until I talked mf girlfriend into one :lol: . A buddy of mine has a 401 in his 64 rambler classic, that thing rips to say the least :mrgreen: . 85CutlasssBrougham had many a cool thread, I wanted to buy his spirit in the worst way, hell of a good deal, lol, but I had nowhere to put it :evil: .

Been a while since I've updated this thread, so after a long pause for any type of automotive work (on my vehicles anyway) :lol: , I figured the sx needed a little work before the upcomming amc fest. Before I get into that though, I did finally bite the bullet and buy new tires. So after 2 years of sitting around, the refinished stock wheels went back on.

TIRES.jpg

Any hoo, the project for the amc fest, was to do something about the crappy interior, or lack there of I should say, haha. I spent much of Saturday working on this, I removed the seats, belts, ahifter trim, ect. Cleaned, vacuumed the floor, then gave it a good coat of Penetrol.

FLOOR01.jpg

Once that dried, I mixed up a bit of Implement enamel for the top coat.

FLOOR05.jpg

FLOOR02.jpg

FLOOR04.jpg

Turned out pretty decent.

Last night I started putting the interior bcak together :lol: , lets just say, after 3 years, you tend to forget order of operation for proper fittment. By the time I made progress, it was already dark, so no pics of where I'm actually at, they'll surface on a later date though, lol.

Very interesting project. You do very nice work. Sometimes, I lament the fact that AMC went out of business. They sure did build some neat stuff over the years. Please keep up the updates. I'd like to see how both cars turn out.

Thanks! and will do. It's kind of bittersweet amc was bought out, their engines lived on until 2006 as did their supenson designs (still today, the basic idea is used in wranglers), that's a true test of time. People used to knock em (well, still do), but they were damn well built vehicles (not to mention the used virtually the same body from 1970-1988, so they had years to perfect it, lol). On the other hand, they went out before cars lost their character, so there was really no such thing as a just blah amc, (like just about every car on the road from the 90's). So in that respect, I'm almost glad they went out when they did.

Continuing on, got the interior put all back together no carpet of course, it wasn't in the budget, which was $0, lol. So it looks more complete, little quieter on the road which is a plus. While I was in assembly clean up mode, I decided to run over the whole car with my polisher (not enough time to wet sand and buff though, but it cleaned up pretty decent. I then thought to myself, something's missing.......I hemmed and hawed about doing it, but I put its emblems back on. Enough with the yappin :lol: here's a few pics.

INTERIOR07.jpg

INTERIOR04.jpg

INTERIOR02.jpg

Gotta love amc and their obsession with plaid, er maybe it's mine, 3 out of the 4 vehicles have plaid interior, hahaha.

INTERIOR05.jpg

INTERIOR06.jpg

Now the exterior, yes crappy cell pics but it gets the idea across.

CLEANED02.jpg

CLEANED01.jpg

That was it on Saturday, cleaned up, assembled and ready for Sunday's amc fest.

The show went pretty well considering (first year show of a little orphan car manufacturer), about 40 ish cars were in attendance, the gf and I took a pic of just about every car there, so hopefully I'll be able to throw a few up, plus she got a better pic of her car (no crappy cell phone!). In the near future, I'll be installing the bumper end caps I recieved at the show, along with center caps a buddy gave me, which will pretty much complete the car for the year, then I can start on Eagle2, :roll: :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor