"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
The 4dr reminds me of my Grandpa's Concord!! I drove that car for a while and it was always a trooper!! I got teased for driving it but damn it never left me or my Grandpa!!

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:lol: They are very old manish, lol, as are the 4 dr eagles (well ,so was my malibu when I got it :rofl: , used to catch a bit of flack for that), I have a few plans up my sleeve to youthen the car up a little :mrgreen: .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
The Eagle2 finally made it's way home a little over a week ago, started messing around under the hood and doing a little bit of damage assessment (No joke). Pictures, even though they're crappy cell pics can say all that's needed...

ENGINE001.jpg

ENGINE007.jpg

ENGINE005.jpg

ENGINE010.jpg

ENGINE002.jpg

ENGINE006.jpg

ENGINE009.jpg

ENGINE003.jpg

ENGINE008.jpg

As you can see there's a little chaos going on there, I don't know why it was done like that, but it will just take a little time to sort it all out, clean it up, and make the wiring "safe" lol.

ENGINE004.jpg

Doing a litte mock up here, wanted to see what all need to move to nstall my HEI, plus did a little cleaning up of excess harnesses that didn't belong there.

Call this an update before the real update, lol.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
For my HEI swap, I was in need of a distributor gear for an AMC 360/304, but I struck out at the junkyard over the weekend (the only place local I knew of that had one), I was a day late, they were crushing out of the truck section, so no distributor gear for me (I should've gone on Saturday). Being I am the impatient goof that I am, I decided to try to make the 258 gear work for me on the HEI, even though everywhere I've seen says, it's a no go. Onto planning, The hole for the roll pin needed to be relocated, ok no prob, drill new holes. The shaft need a bushing to fit upto the gears larger hole, now that's a bit of a challenge. The bushing needed is almost paper thin,beeing that the HEI shaft is an odd size, finding something that would just "Work" is pretty much out of the question. My solution as always, "Can't find a part, Make one." I dug around my stash of junk and found a bushing that could be modified to fit my needs, then proceded to drill my hole in the center to fit the HEI shaft.

HEI02.jpg

HEI01.jpg

As you can see, my hole was not straight (no dril press), now comes the fun part, how in the hell was I going to grind the bushing down to proper size, and get it back to round in the same sweep. A lathe would do the trick nicely, dad happens to have one, but not at the house, though propbably not easily accessible (IE: buried), and lets not forget, I have no clue how to use one. Enter my creation to create a part (don't laugh just yet, I assure you I was 100% sober when I came up with this idea :lol: ).

DRILLLATHE.jpg

Hold back!

The video of this contraption actually working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZK64ru ... ature=plcp

Sounds crazy but this haggard Red Green inspired apparatus made the bushing I needed, as well as truing my cockeyed drill error, hahahahaha.

I proceded to install the gear, roll pin, then inastalled the HEI unit in the eagle. I hit the key, instant ignition, then die, lol (no fuel line hooked up just what ever was left in the carb). After hooking up everything, fired it up, it took off like a spooked deer. Shut it back down, back the idle screw down, fired again, same deal engine raced up the r's. Arrrrgggg, I dicked with it for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what I had done that may have been amiss. I then thought, grab a flashlight and peek down the throat, sure enough, gasket meterial was hold the butterflys open. Pulled of the carb, and I couldn't believe the shenanigans I saw......

ENGINE0115.jpg

ENGINE011.jpg

I had to walk away for a bit, ate dinner then returned to fix this mess, rtv silicon on a carburetor base gasket, seriously? :wtf: :doh: Anyway, before taking anymore backtracks I decided to throw on my junkyard carb that I had found a year or so ago, just because I knew that one was off a good running engine (at the time of removal anyway, lol).

ENGINE013.jpg

ENGINE012.jpg

Got it all back together, and the booger runs, kinda shitty, but at least it runs, lol (I have more things to "undo" to make it right). Anyway, here some video proof that my latest mutant does actually function, hahaha. So the verict, even though it's commonly said you have to use the V8 gear, the more readily available 258 gear will work just fine with a little minor tweaking (yet another electronic myth debunked).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15PcgqU ... ature=plcp

Stay tuned for more antics.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
lol, yeah I uh, no comment, lets just say it doesn't resemble that mess anymore. I will put proper base gaskets on when the time comes as I know it should have a thick insulator gasket between the adapter and the intake. At least my homemade ones are trimmed to fit properly (no picture of those though).

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Plucking away at this thing, ran into several issues of hack, but besides that the throttle valve link had rusted to a form of inoperable also causing the carb linkage to bind. Being the car is what it is, and I'm a cheap b*st*rd I wasn't about to spend money to replace the part, so I made a new piece for it.

The crusty chunk

tv01.jpg

That clamp deal didn't come off in one piece so onto newer steel.

tv02.jpg

Yes, beer did play a role in this.....

tv03.jpg

Side note, you can see the little chunk from the original, lol.

tv04.jpg

tv06.jpg

tv09.jpg

tv05.jpg

tv08.jpg

tv07.jpg

Should do the trick nicely, made it a little heavier than stock, Suprise, suprise, lol.

I'll have grab a few more pics of the other things I've been tinkering with, still not impressed with the 2100 carb busting my balls, I've never dealt with such a moody prick :x . More on that later though, I will conquer that thing, or maybe I'll just give in and toss a 4bbl on (I did find another rebuildable qjet in my local u pull it :mrgreen: ).

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
May God have mercy on your soul...

Oldsmoletick said:
The Eagle2 finally made it's way home a little over a week ago, started messing around under the hood and doing a little bit of damage assessment (No joke). Pictures, even though they're crappy cell pics can say all that's needed...

ENGINE001.jpg

ENGINE007.jpg

ENGINE005.jpg

ENGINE010.jpg

ENGINE002.jpg

ENGINE006.jpg

ENGINE009.jpg

ENGINE003.jpg

ENGINE008.jpg

As you can see there's a little chaos going on there, I don't know why it was done like that, but it will just take a little time to sort it all out, clean it up, and make the wiring "safe" lol.

ENGINE004.jpg

Doing a litte mock up here, wanted to see what all need to move to nstall my HEI, plus did a little cleaning up of excess harnesses that didn't belong there.

Call this an update before the real update, lol.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Moving forward, the car had a brand new radiator, well, the little blue one puked this spring, so I bought an aluminum one for it (cj jeep application), but due to the enormous a/c compressor, it wouldn't fit. However, the redheaded step child (red eagle's new tag) had a factory type replacement, so I made a little swap. The aluminum one fit nicely in red.
ENGINE015.jpg

ENGINE017.jpg

ENGINE018.jpg

Fuel battles:
Tank had water, lots of it, so out with the tank, while it was out mind as well clean it up and paint it, lol.

swampgas01.jpg

swampgas04.jpg

TANK03.jpg

We've all heard the horror stories of the reman store bought q jets......I think I have a dud motorcraft (thought it was the water fuel mix, lol), I messed around with what looks to be a "reman" 2100 carb with nothing but failure :x . The first botch I found, whoever installed the throttle plates, put them in crooked, no wonder the thing took off on start up, they couldn't close all thee way. After several nights of dicking with it I gave up on it, to hell with that POS. Again I turned to my junkyard find, (only strayed away from it due to it flooding over), pulled the lid, cleaned it out, threw it back together, made some adjustments and as of friday night, I have a properly running, Eagle, vacuum leaks gone, carb responds to adjustments, idles well, and has good steady vacuum. :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/Rfjtv1C0UNA

http://youtu.be/unj2QZw22hY

So now that it runs good I figured it was about time to make it look a little less like a junkyard rat. So saturday night (metal night), I spent a few hours with my polisher to bring back a little shine and clear up some age spots. Made quite a difference, but man is the paint thin, I tried using my real buffer on it and it buzzed through the paint in an instant :eek: . Finished it off with a nice coat of wax, yeah I'm warped, or maybe the beer told me to do it...

clean02.jpg

clean01.jpg

That was about it for the weekend, other than removing the rear seat for some clean up, so far no good, it's mighty greezy so that'll be some scrubbing on my end, lol. I may have to try that laundry detergent idea of Driven's.....

On an easier on the eyes note, took the little Eagle out for a joyride, and grabbed a few pictures that weren't done with my crappy cellphone, lol, also took it for a little trail ride through the woods (very wide trail so nothing came in contact with the body :mrgreen: ).

0811.jpg

0810.jpg

0812.jpg

And my favorite..
0809.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor