"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I guess I have pissed off the amc gods by dragging *ss on making the car pretty......Woke up this morning and was greeted with this...

WINDSHIELD04.jpg

WINDSHIELD03.jpg

You can kinda see the bondo clump mess on the roof in this pic :lol:

WINDSHIELD02.jpg

WINDSHIELD01.jpg

Neighbors tree sh*t a branch on the sedan's windshield :x . Like I needed more work to do, but it does give me an excuse to revamp that botched roof and fix the headliner... :mrgreen:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Haven't done much to the car, been in negotiations with my neighbor about the windshield, he's taking care of it and likely taking down the tree at fault. Anyway on Sunday did a little work to the redhead. Started off with a little damage assessment pretaining to the mess that is the roof. It ended up with me just buzzing the whole thing off :buff: to reveal some nasty doings :puke: (lets just say I was rather pissed when I saw what was done). What I am going to show you all is a perfect example of how not to do body work.

Exhibit A: piled high filler

roof001.jpg

roof004.jpg

roof003.jpg

Not even the quarter windows escaped the wrath of glop.
qtrwindow001.jpg

For this boogered example I used an angle grinder with a 24 grit disc to cut through the mess (normally I would never take a 24g disc to sheet metal). As I started grinding away a chunk of sh*t flew up caught me in the cheek (ok, not a real chunk of sh*t, smartasses :haha: ), low and behold what the body fller was hiding!

roof010.jpg

roof002.jpg

:wtf: That looks like a piece of tin foil, it isn't, but it might just as well be. Adhesive backed patch panels is what it is, garbage sh*t that chain auto parts stores sell to unsuspecting consumers thinking it's a proper fix for their car. Asshats :doh: .

This next batch of pics is where I stopped to evaluate the situation.
roof009.jpg

roof008.jpg

You can see the outline of the foil patches....

roof007.jpg

I have no clue what I'm going to do with this, whether I try to fix what's there, re skin the roof, replace the entire roof, or make a patch panel (sheet metal welded in of course). Time will tell, for now it's covered up waiting on my decision.

For sh*ts and giggles, that's alot of dust just from the roof....lol
roof005.jpg

:popcorn: Stay tuned for my attempt at making this right :rofl:

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
its cool how it dont really even phase you and u just fix that sh*t instead of getting mad. wish i knew how to do body work i would flip out if i woke up to that

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
lol, thanks, had it been the little blue one, I probably would've blown a gasket, but, maybe not, sh*t happens, fix it and move on, lol :mrgreen: . Body work really isn't all that difficult, it's more patience than anything else and knowing when to stop.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Whatever you decide on as the proper repair, are you planning to put vinyl back over it?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
DRIVEN said:
Whatever you decide on as the proper repair, are you planning to put vinyl back over it?

Vinyl is evil in my mind, lol. What my plan is, when I fix it that is, I will be eliminating the trouble some quarter windows, which wich give it a cleaner look (like an old hornet or concord). Not to mention I'll finally have an excuse to call up a buddy and have him give me an English Wheel lesson 8) . The roof for now will be finished off and painted black as it's the only neutral color I have at the moment, car will go one color when it gets its repaint.

Blake442 said:
Yikes!

I think I'd get another roof skin and just glue it right on top with panel-bonding adhesive and hide it with a fresh vinyl top...

lol, Can't bring myself to do it :lol: , the thought did cross my mind though, but hiding a band aid with a band aid doesn't solve the problem. Even though this is just going to be a beater, I want it right so I don't have to mess with it again.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Haven't done a damned thing to the car in almost two weeks, found a cheap windshield, but the yard broke it trying to take it out (I knew I should've pulled it myself :doh: ). I've always thought, things happen for a reason, and last night there was some light being shed in this tunnel. I responded to an add on craigslist for a windshield, and since the gent had a bunch of other amc listings, I figured what's the harm in asking what else he may have.........

Eagle #3 :shock: may be following me home Sunday morning :banana: , we shall see.

Neighbors are gonna love me :mrgreen: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor