Turn signal issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the bulbs are not the problem then it may be the turn signal switch...you can check at the connection for power before you change it.

1983-0001(1).jpg

and if you look at the picture of the fuse box you'll see that the hazard and turn signals use a different relay and you need both.

79-malibu-fuse-box-diagram-eykACzy.jpg

Last edited:

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
There was only one flasher in my 84 the other slot exists but is not used. I found that my problem was a bad ground. Check the ground inside the near the left light. From the factory mine had paint on it and wasn't very good. This didn't completely fix my problem, inside the wiring harness that ran from passenger side to the driver side there is a connecter in the middle of the ground wire that came loose and was not grounding, causing lots of problems. And I another part of my problem was I had a dead bulb and that also caused it to not blink. So check to make sure all the bulbs work and then check the grounds to make sure they all are clean

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
There was only one flasher in my 84 the other slot exists but is not used. I found that my problem was a bad ground. Check the ground inside the near the left light. From the factory mine had paint on it and wasn't very good. This didn't completely fix my problem, inside the wiring harness that ran from passenger side to the driver side there is a connecter in the middle of the ground wire that came loose and was not grounding, causing lots of problems. And I another part of my problem was I had a dead bulb and that also caused it to not blink. So check to make sure all the bulbs work and then check the grounds to make sure they all are clean
I did i took it off and clean it good it had little rust and residue but didn't seem that was the problem my hazards work just no turn signals.

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
I did i took it off and clean it good it had little rust and residue but didn't seem that was the problem my hazards work just no turn signals.
if the bulbs are not the problem then it may be the turn signal switch...you can check at the connection for power before you change it.

1983-0001(1).jpg

and if you look at the picture of the fuse box you'll see that the hazard and turn signals use a different relay and you need both.

79-malibu-fuse-box-diagram-eykACzy.jpg
Can I just add a flasher relay maybe it need it's own flasher relay?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you check with a test light to see if you have power where you should have power in the turn signal switch harness?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
If you try the hazards, do you hear anything? Sometimes the flasher will make one click only...same for signals. That would tell you if the flasher(s) were present in the circuit.

Seems like I recall later G bodies sometimes had one of the flashers in another location and did not use the second cavity in the fuse panel.
I seem to remember one hanging from the harness in .....some GM I did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor