BUILD THREAD Turning Back Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Finally am update. Quinn, do you have a plan in mind for the emergency brake?

I have yet to do mine, and I'm running the LS/C5 rear brakes.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I made the two pairs of brake cable brackets as shown earlier in this post. I tried out the stock cables in the connectors for the backing plates, and they fit perfectly. I have not hung the cables yet to make sure the 'L' brackets take up the slack on the stock cables when attached to the calipers. Stay tuned, unless you figure it out first....

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I sold some excess parts and need to burn up some Paypal credit. I think it's time to give up on plots and schemes to modify the Jeg's 400 crossmember. I am looking at the G-Force and Summit versions, but I have a better option in the works rather than that crappy driver's mount extension bar. Stay tuned....

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Picked up a set of body mounts on Black Friday.

DSCN5871.JPG

I started flooding the accessible body bolts with WD-40 as best as I could. I got 9 out without breaking them off. #10, behind the right rear wheel well, had left town a long while back.

DSCN5880.JPG

I will eventually need to cut out a segment of the right rear wheelwell to replace the corroded captured body nut. The sheetmetal needs work there anyway. It's the only rusted out spot on the whole car, so I can't complain.

DSCN5882.JPG

I ordered more bolts from McMaster-Carr. M10x1.50, 10.9 hardness, 60mm, 90mm, and 100mm, plus flange nuts for the radiator support. Painted with POR15 for foreverness.

DSCN5862.JPG DSCN5866.JPG

I also ordered enough flat grade-8 fender washers to use as shims as needed. Plus a new rear brake line form Inline Tube for when space to insert it.

DSCN5872.JPG DSCN5884a.jpg

I also built a jig to lift the body a few inches to get rust converter, paint and bushings in there without tearing up the body seam. Basically took a 2x4 and ripped a groove for the body weld flange so as to spread the weight while permitting a single lift point.

DSCN5891.JPG

It will be time soon to resolve the whole crossmember problem. Just not yet ready to do a full frame off at this point, but it would be nice to get this back on the road before I need to hire a chuffeur.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Still have not installed the body bushing kit. something about three kids, dishes, laundry and pesky job to pay for the car parts...

Ordered some new shocks. Bilsteins for lowered G-body applications:
FRONT - Old number: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-F4B360949H0/ New number: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-009492
REAR - Old number: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-F4B460929H0/ New number: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-009294
Both are $7-$10 cheaper on RockAuto, but you pay shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Definitely following. Jealous of the 350. Took the wagon out today. I'm sorry...There's just no other way to say it...the carbureted Buick 231 is a dog.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I had taken the trailer hitch off a while back to make some measurements. The story is that I bought a Class III hitch from JCWhitney in about 1986 for the original woodie wagon. When that one got crushed by the drunk driver, I transferred it to the blue wagon. I gave up on the blue wagon just before the move to New Mexico. In classic Hoarder fashion, I kept that thing and hauled it around for 20 years until it had a new wagon to ride under. I blasted and powdercoated it. Here it is back under the wagon.
DSCN5853.JPG DSCN5854.JPG DSCN5850.JPG DSCN5860.JPG DSCN5839.JPG DSCN5859.JPG DSCN5842.JPG DSCN5844a.jpg DSCN5838.JPG DSCN5836a.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Definitely following. Jealous of the 350. Took the wagon out today. I'm sorry...There's just no other way to say it...the carbureted Buick 231 is a dog.
Yup. The blue wagon had a 229 Chevrolet V6. Very doggy. I swapped in a junkyard 305, then, when I blew that up, I upgraded to the 400 SBC. I love that everything basically swaps into the original bolt holes. The main thing I needed was a bigger radiator and a V8 fan shroud.

Looking forward to making some progress on it over the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor