Uneven Ride Height please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
I have an 81' El Camino, pretty much stock. I recently changed the front and rear springs, front upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints. Since I did this work the car leans noticably to the right, mostly the front. When I measure the height it is about 3/4 to 1'' difference. You can see the rear is also uneven. Before I did any work I noticed the same problem but thought it was due to the fact that the front springs were both broken when I took them out. The car has never been in a serious accident. I cut the front springs to give me the height I wanted. I have tried everything and can not get it right!!!
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TRIED....

-Swapping both front and rear springs to opposite side
-Replaced rubber pads for front springs
-Removing sway bar
-Removed brand new shocks
-Removed springs and made sure they were both same height
-Loosened all bushings front and rear, bounced, then tightened

When I loosened all the bushings I thought I had it fixed, while they were all loose it was sitting even. I drove it onto stands and jacked up the rear so I could torque them with it at ride height. After I torqued them it looked good, I drove it down the alley so it would bounce a little, parked it in the garage and now it looks the same again! I swapped the front springs to see if it switched tot he other side but it didnt so I know it is not the springs. I have also made sure they are in their pocket and seated correctly. I dont know what to do!?!? :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you should measure the height of the frame on the four corners where the c channel meeds the front and rear clips. That will tell you if it's the suspension that is the problem or the body. If it's the body then it's most likely the body bushing are causing the problem...and it could be the body bushing have worked their way thru the frame

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
When you look at it from the front underneath, the passenger side control arm comes straight out when compared to the center crossmember but the other side has a slight raise. I hope you know what I mean! Lol. But seeing this means it's the suspension somehow.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you might have bent one of the fingers at the top of the front spring and the spring is sitting on it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the stock bushings you need to torque the bolts when the car is sitting in its neutral position

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
That's what I did when I torqued them. I drove the front onto some ramps then jacked up the rearend till it was level as I on the ground. Torqued them to 80 ft lbs, set it down and it was back to the old way. Thank you for your help! I hope we can figure this out cuz its embarrassing to drive hahah

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd remove the bolts on the bottom ends of all the shocks to let them hang and see if that improves it, then I'd remove the links for the front sway bar to see if it's twisted..if that doesn't help I'd remove the rear sway bar...if it's still not sitting level I'd be looking at the rear springs

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
I did the sway bar tip with no change. I swapped the shocks with no change, now if one of them was causing the problem wouldn't it have leaned the other way? I've done the same with the rear springs. I took them out and measured them to see if they are the same height which they were. Swapped them also with no change. I'm at a lose, do you have a trick for torquing the uppers while it's flat on the ground not on ramps. The only way I could think was turning the wheels but then it changes the height because of camber and stuff! AHHHHHHHHHH

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Is it possible to post some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor