Vanity mirror retro-fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
OK what am I missing here. I really don't want to pull out my headliner completely (it's been replaced and thus far isn't sagging). I got some lighted vanities outa a newer model Park Ave, that I want to replace my old torn, Jadestone (car is now a dark blue interior) sunvisors. Didn't GM run the hot for the dome light up the driver's A-pillar? I pulled the trim off it (and the passenger side) and all I found is 2 Beige (I think GM calls that white) and one purple wire.
Courtesylamps.jpg

direct link added cuz the picture's a tad fuzzy as posted on forum

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Mozzy63301/Courtesylamps.jpg
This is the scanned page from my GM service manual. Seems the hot wire should be orange (and looking at the dome light it is) ... the purple is for defrost. The white wires seem to come off the door switch (makes sense)So what am I missing? Where is the constant hot wire going to the dome light? Is is behind the big inside quarter panel trim? I'd rather tap the factory but will run a new wire(s) if it keeps me from totally gutting the interior (or taking out the headliner).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the vanity mirror there is a ground wire from the light connection that is attached to the mounting bracket so all you need is the constant hot lead (orange wire) for the connector. What you might want to do is visit your local recycling yard and grab the other side of the connector and just splice the wire to the wire lead in your car. That way there is you ever have to take the sun visor down then you can just disconnect it.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
pontiacgp said:
for the vanity mirror there is a ground wire from the light connection that is attached to the mounting bracket so all you need is the constant hot lead (orange wire) for the connector. What you might want to do is visit your local recycling yard and grab the other side of the connector and just splice the wire to the wire lead in your car. That way there is you ever have to take the sun visor down then you can just disconnect it.

they are already dangling off of the mirrors I got out of the junk yard, but I can't find the %$#$@! orange wire to splice into. I swear on my 86 is was along the A-Pillar and I really don't want to pull out the headliner. I may just run a fresh positive wire(s) up the passenger side A-pillar. I was more inquiring if any one knew where GM ran the wire I wanted to tap (yanno maybe someone that doesn't have a headliner in place).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the wire for the dome lite is on the drivers side pillar...you could always splice into a hot lead under the passenger dash and run the wire up the pillar

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
pontiacgp said:
the wire for the dome lite is on the drivers side pillar...you could always splice into a hot lead under the passenger dash and run the wire up the pillar

B-pillar then? I don't see a 4th wire on the A-pillar. I may just do that and run a lead up the passenger side A-pillar

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have t-tops so I had no problem removing the coverings to find the wiring when I installed the lighted vanity mirror and the rear view mirror with map lites...If you have a power trunk then you could tap into that wire for your power source.

One thing I did find a problem with was that the sun visor itself didn't have the correct angle on the mounting bracket so I had to change mine. The problem with changing the mounting bracket is that the ground wire for the lite is attached to the shaft that in embedded into the visor. You can't use the bracket form your OEM visor because the embedded shaft is too short but I forget what bracket I used...

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
pontiacgp said:
I have t-tops so I had no problem removing the coverings to find the wiring when I installed the lighted vanity mirror and the rear view mirror with map lites...If you have a power trunk then you could tap into that wire for your power source.

One thing I did find a problem with was that the sun visor itself didn't have the correct angle on the mounting bracket so I had to change mine. The problem with changing the mounting bracket is that the ground wire for the lite is attached to the shaft that in embedded into the visor. You can't use the bracket form your OEM visor because the embedded shaft is too short but I forget what bracket I used...

What visors did you use? Mine look like a perfect fit. Outa Park Avenue (I think). I can post a picture tonight. Any ideas on how to back the sunvisor clips?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Don't tap off the purple wire. It's for the rear window defogger. I on my car there is a white and an orange wire that run up to the dome light. One is for the map light ( always positive) and one is for the dome light.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Don't tap off the purple wire. It's for the rear window defogger. I on my car there is a white and an orange wire that run up to the dome light. One is for the map light ( always positive) and one is for the dome light.

well I knew the purple was a bad choice that is was defroster, but aren't the two "white" wires off the door switches? One is solid white the other is white with orange (I figured one is driver's the other is pass) That is what I am reading off the schematic. Are you sure they are constant? Reading the diagram there should be a solid orange wire someplace

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
DrRansom442 said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

well I knew the purple was a bad choice that is was defroster, but aren't the two "white" wires off the door switches? One is solid white the other is white with orange (I figured one is driver's the other is pass) That is what I am reading off the schematic. Are you sure they are constant? Reading the diagram there should be a solid orange wire someplace

although .... diagram indicates both door switches run into a plug and should be one wire up the pillar ... I'm gonna probe that white/orange stripe wire with the door shut ... perhaps I overlooked something last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor