Vortec 5.7 With carb setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well took the heads of tonight and found this crap so much for a quick easy build any recommendations on what to do now I'm gonna have to get it machined for sure so any rebuild kits you guys have used befor

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok so I bought a 350 vortec with 906 heads said it had a blown head gasket and they weren't lying I drained the pan and oil mixed with water afterwards
I would recommend having the heads magnafluxed by a reputable shop. I've been doing quite a bit of research on Vortec heads as I've acquired a set to put on a gen I sbc. The Vortec heads are prone to cracking between the center two combustion chambers if the cooling system isn't up to snuff or neglected. This is an excellent link:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Vortec_L31_cylinder_head

You may be looking at a cracked head or two rather than a blown head gasket. This may help prevent you from chasing this problem again after you've reassembled the engine.
Good luck with the cleanup and rebuild.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
This last one with pictures will need a lot more work then a runner out of a yard. Looks like some one left this one out in the rain with the intake off. That one will not be a $500 build.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
So after taking the heads down to the shop I found out the were cracked so now def this engine is no good

image.jpg
image.jpg

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
But thanks to my boy he broke me off with a brand new engine and 350 transmission for a good price they both have been sitting in his carport for a minute never been ran fresh of the crate pulled the valve covers off and no il has ever been poured in even the plastic plugs they put on when their new are still on . now this has some junk heads from what I've read from the casting numbers they are new but considering on buying some vortec heads from my boy what all do I need to do to get it to work proper with this block the casting numbers from this engine are from a 70's this was gonna go in a 77 Monte Carlo
image.jpg
image.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Take the valve covers off and see what castings you ended up with. I'd also drop the oil pan and make sure there are no surprises after storage outside.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Take the valve covers off and see what castings you ended up with. I'd also drop the oil pan and make sure there are no surprises after storage outside.

I took the valve covers off and ended up with the 462624 head which I've read is junk I want to put vortec heads on it do I have to change the cam and lifters since Vortec heads came on roller setup?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You can use a hydraulic cam with Vortec heads. But they use self-aligning rocker arms (have a ridge on either side of the valve tip contact surface). If the ones on the original engine aren't too bad, you can clean them up and reuse them. The holes in the Vortec heads for the pushrods are round, rather than having a flat to rub on. Use the longer pushrods for the regular hydraulic lifters. Use an old-school timing set - the Vortec cam bolt circle is smaller.

You can put the Vortec block aside for later or sell if for about $200. They are useful if you want to go to a roller cam. With the lack of zinc in oil these days, that's useful, plus you can hit some crazy cam profiles no problem with rollers.

Edelbrock makes an EPS manifold for Vortecs, peaks the torque at 3500 RPM and bolts to the heads, but is only for holley and edelbrock square-bore carbs. I've used a GM composition gasket 10105117 with success.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
ok so im back where i started the 350 was no good cylinder number 8 was rusted so i picked up another vortec its spun a bearing sot˙e dude gave me everything cheap so Now i have a couple questions

1.) im taking the block to the machine shop in the morning to have the heads checked and the crank cut down as well as getting the block honed
I plan to reuse the pistons as there was no damage done to them any recommendations on rings and bearings?

2.) i have a new water pump for the vortec can i plug the ports and not have over heating problems since im not running ac? also anyone have a part number for an ac delete pulley?

3.) headers are a big headache from what ive been reading sometimes i think i read to much anyone have part numbers to the headers your using with vortec heads

4.) What cam are you guys using to get more power without changing springs and i plan to reuse my lifters there should be no problems right just put them back in the block or was there a specific order they go in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor