Vortec 5.7 With carb setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Its easy with the vortec motor to make great power. Just freshen the motor and then use the marine cam with the last three numbers being 395. Car craft did a very nice piece on this motor and cam and heads and made some outstanding power for very little money. The only thing I would change is get a set of 1.6 rockers to replace the 1.5 that come stock. This is a direct copy of GMs 350 Ram Jet just with a carb. Any small block headers will bolt right up and you can reuse the front timing cover just plug the hole with a 1/2 in plug. You can enlarge the push rod holes with a 1/2 inch drill take about 3 minutes to do it. Use a shim head gasket and up the compression form 9-1 to about 91/2-1 and still be pump gas happy. If you have any questions just email me a phone number and I will help with any question you might have of parts you might need. I have the very same motor combination in my 4425lb truck and it goes 14.50 on good air, take 1000lbs off for a Gbody and is should go mid to low 13s with a stock converter. I am shifting at 5200 RPM so its easy on everything.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you do want to leave the 1.5 rocker ratio get a good aftermarket 1.5 roller rocker. The stock stamped 1.5 rockers are normally 1.43 to 1.48. I replace my stamped rockers on my vortec heads to aftermarket 1.5 roller rockers and I could tell the difference right away.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Not sure what you are using for the pulleys and belts. If its a early set up then use a water pump for something in the 70s if is a late model with the surpenten set up then get one for that year. As for the AC delete pulley just go to any good part store and ask for one for the set up you have.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have 2 setups I have a tbi off the 91 block and the Vortec setup I want to use the 91 tbi setup but I keep reading that the Vortec uses a reverse water pump and it needs a by pass and that you can't use the tbi one
image.jpeg
This is the setup that I want to use ☝️

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have 2 setups I have a tbi off the 91 block and the Vortec setup I want to use the 91 tbi setup but I keep reading that the Vortec uses a reverse water pump and it needs a by pass and that you can't use the tbi one View attachment 43769 This is the setup that I want to use ☝️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor