Water in cylinders, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I wouldn't waste too much time with diagnosis. Even if you get it running, it's a total crap shoot on the longevity side of the equation, unless you pull it apart for inspection, rings, and bearings. Why waste the money on a 305?

Cheapest, easiest is to grab a running 350, then stab it in.

As far as the cheap <chuckle> LS swap, I thought the same thing when I did my Series 2 swap. For all intent and purpose, it is an LS swap minus 2 cylinders. Almost all of the wiring was the same, and the Series 2 block has all the LS goodies like a roller cam, EFI, cross bolted mains, etc.- just add a counter balance shaft in the cam valley. I think it still cost around $2k, even getting everything (motor, trans, wiring, computer) for some Olds parts in trade. That was 3rd venture into the modern engine retro fit, but I used all factory parts. It also only lasted a couple hundred miles before spinning the #3 rod bearing (90k hard, neglected miles at install).

You need to watch more Roadkill. "Don't get it right; just get it running" - D. Frieburger
Lol, I'm am an avid Roadkill fan!
That said this needs to be nice driver, not a Roadkill car.

I actually have a good running tbi 305 in my wagon that I think I'm going to put in. I would like to keep the tbi system as well if I can.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Well I tore the engine apart earlier and found some things.
20210402_143745.jpg

20210402_143737.jpg

20210402_154900.jpg

It has some pitting on the cylinder wall
20210402_154848.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well I tore the engine apart earlier and found some things. View attachment 172070
View attachment 172071
View attachment 172072
It has some pitting on the cylinder wall
View attachment 172073
That's about what I was expecting you to find from what you'd described earlier, especially all that rust and debris in the heads.

Cylinders look like there's actual gravel in there though? Almost as if they ran this thing without an air filter before it got flooded with water.

Reactions: 1 user

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
That's about what I was expecting you to find from what you'd described earlier, especially all that rust and debris in the heads.

Cylinders look like there's actual gravel in there though? Almost as if they ran this thing without an air filter before it got flooded with water.
I think it's just gunk from taking the head off.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After seeing those pics I'll suggest get it back together, give it a good shot of nitrous & send it.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
After seeing those pics I'll suggest get it back together, give it a good shot of nitrous & send it.

So... you mean remove the oil pan, prop a canister of nitrous under the crankcase, and shoot it with a rifle?

It'll send it....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So... you mean remove the oil pan, prop a canister of nitrous under the crankcase, and shoot it with a rifle?

It'll send it....
As long as there's nitrous involed. Only if the OP is OK with us planning the full death of his 305 (& spending his money for him to have it happen) it's all good.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
As long as there's nitrous involed. Only if the OP is OK with us planning the full death of his 305 (& spending his money for him to have it happen) it's all good.
Lol! maybe when it's out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor