What am i doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So if I put a anti roll bar in the rear do I take the front sway bar off?

Your choice, it's there for handling and cornering - I don't run one on either car

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I dont know much about anti roll bars, could you explain how they are dangerous on the street just to clarify in my mind
From the article attached by bowtie :

'According to Spohn, “A drag race anti-roll bar typically isn’t street friendly, it’s made to keep a car straight when going straight.” While this may deter some customers away from a hardcore anti-roll bar system, it should be noted that the connection links can easily be removed for street operation and then re-installed at the track.'

Beyond ride quality, both rear wheels will feel a bump, pot hole, etc., evenly. Imagine a high speed corner entering a bridge on a turn with a wet road. Instead of having an independent suspension at both rear wheels they will hop together. It can cause a tight anal sphincter, dirt tracking moment on a bridge at 70 mph. Now imagine that with a set of DOT legal Mickey's on there.

I would not drive consistently on the street with both links hooked up. IMO, anti-roll bars are for the strip and sway bars are for street driving or road course racing.

My $.02

Jim

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Anything can be done, just like some of the "street legal" cars that race and are hitting low 7's in the 1/4 mile. Doesnt mean it can, or should be.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The anti roll bar will fix it. You really don't want to try to adjust the rear with the shocks. Especially single adjustables. You could band aid with double adjustables by tightening the extension on the driver side and tightening compression on the passenger side. What does the car 60' at now and do you have to drive it of the starting line. Mine WAY BACK in time I used to put my hand at 10-11 oclock on the wheel and pull it down to 7-8 when I let the transbrake go. Didn't hurt anything, just how it left. Then went to ladder bars and it left dead straight.

Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I dont know much about anti roll bars, could you explain how they are dangerous on the street just to clarify in my mind

Drag strips don't have turns or bumps. The rear anti roll bar will increase oversteer. Taller back tires and no front swaybar will decrease oversteer.

Super stiff rear can lose contact with the road if turning and bumps are combined. Stay out of the rain and you'll probably never have a problem.

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
split the difference,install a chassis mounted rear sway bar.it's not the same as an anti roll bar yet it's far superior to the o.e lower control arm style that merly binds everything and keep the front bar too.the only difference dragging the w/the front bar vs without is weight.I've got an f41 up front and the chassis mount in the back and it takes everything i throw at it,off ramps and all.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Like was said, the more you tie the 2 sides of the suspension together the less articulation there is In the car and it make driveway aprons and things like that a little more difficult to navigate. The car will not have the body roll for uneven roads and if its really uneven it can pickup the inside tire off the ground when making a turn up a hill.

Loosenutzzz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2019
Jus picked up a anti roll bar, gonna fab it in tomorow and hit the track friday night. Gonna get rid of factory rear sway bar. Not to worried about the front sway bar, gonna weld in some front end limiters also. If it works you guys will be the first to know with a big kool aid grin.....lol and a big thanks for all the input...

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Good luck !! Check your 4 link set up while your working on it. I'd hang loose on the limiters right now - leaving the sway bar on will limit travel, and you can play w/ shocks. If the front end comes up and bangs the limiters it can upset the chassis. Always good to have someone recording.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor