What did you buy for your G body today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Bought two tires for the Bonneville. Yet another one got potholed to death and broke a belt. I am pretty sure it was the newest of the tires, too!
Not new enough for roadhazard to cover it?

For what it's worth, discount tire in our neck of the woods will sell their 'tire certification tires not originally sold by them regardless of mileage.

Got a 'free' replacement tire on the xl that way for the cost of their program, took a $300 fix down to $40 because we couldn't wait the 3 week backorder costco had

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I bought and just turned in to the shop, a set of Motor Mounts that will fit the 305. . However from the looks of it as the mechanic tells me he is going to have to line up the Transmission to the cross member then determine how the mounts will fit on the K Member. It's possible he may have to tac weld then drill holes for the motor mount.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I bought and just turned in to the shop, a set of Motor Mounts that will fit the 305. . However from the looks of it as the mechanic tells me he is going to have to line up the Transmission to the cross member then determine how the mounts will fit on the K Member. It's possible he may have to tac weld then drill holes for the motor mount.
Why would the mounts need to be tacked in then drilled? The holes are right there & not hard to find pics of mounts in place for a SBC.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Why would the mounts need to be tacked in then drilled? The holes are right there & not hard to find pics of mounts in place for a SBC.
Such is the case but not for the K member on this car for some reason ( Was Assembled/Built in Baltimore, Maryland??), He also showed me what the minor problem with the Mounts is going to be. The Mechanic is going to make sure things line up before deciding what to do in this situation. But as a side note the engine came out of an 84' K5 Blazer it may or may not make the difference. All I know is I had to buy a specified Triangle Hole pattern Mount from JEGS, that side fits its the other half. . . .

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Such is the case but not for the K member on this car for some reason ( Was Assembled/Built in Baltimore, Maryland??), He also showed me what the minor problem with the Mounts is going to be. The Mechanic is going to make sure things line up before deciding what to do in this situation. But as a side note the engine came out of an 84' K5 Blazer it may or may not make the difference. All I know is I had to buy a specified Triangle Hole pattern Mount from JEGS, that side fits its the other half. . . .
That'll be an odd mistake as the K member section is made to fit all A/G applications & all engine mounts used. There should be holes to the front of the frame for the two top & one bottom rear bolts. The bottom front will be hanging over the edge of the K member. Our frames should have holes for Chevy v6 & v8, Buick, Pontiac, Olds gas & diesel engines. It won't matter what the Chevy engine came out of unless it was from a '57 & older as all SBC, BBC, W-motors, straight 6, & LT Gen 2 blocks since '58 will have the three mount bolt pattern that will allow all to drop in as long as you have the correct model specific engine & frame side mounts. As long as you have the mount set for our cars it should just drop in. Your frame side rubber mounts should be Anchor 2292 or equivalent, don't have a p/n for the engine side to compair at this time. UMI does have a set designed for our cars & the 2292 mount. It also gives some extra clearance over the OE one.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bigtexs

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2017
Oak Cliff, Tx
I bought myself a LS motor ;)
Im entering deep uncharted waters and Im nervous lol
Stay tune :cool:

Attachments

• 20220809_200229.jpg
    20220809_200229.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220809_190040.jpg
    20220809_190040.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
Reactions: 6 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd be a little worried about your mechanic.

There would be no reason to weld anything to put a SBC into a G body, provided the correct parts are supplied. All you need is the OE SBC G-body clamshells, and OE style mounts. Clamshells from any other application may or may not work, why butcher the car when the right stuff should be readily available?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I'd be a little worried about your mechanic.

There would be no reason to weld anything to put a SBC into a G body, provided the correct parts are supplied. All you need is the OE SBC G-body clamshells, and OE style mounts. Clamshells from any other application may or may not work, why butcher the car when the right stuff should be readily available?
I am fully aware that the mounts; though have to be moved forward, should fit, As I said before, after the mechanic gets everything lined up we'll see what course of action he'll have to take. Were going from 13 inches to 16 inches forward (or another 3 inches forward), the holes match up for the V6 but do not seem too visibly match up for the V8, but he still had the other part/s of the mount from the V6 on the K member, maybe he'll see where it all should fit once those come off. It's just going to be a wait and see thing, he's working on the swap over on his free time, which is why it's taking too long.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
That'll be an odd mistake as the K member section is made to fit all A/G applications & all engine mounts used. There should be holes to the front of the frame for the two top & one bottom rear bolts. The bottom front will be hanging over the edge of the K member. Our frames should have holes for Chevy v6 & v8, Buick, Pontiac, Olds gas & diesel engines. It won't matter what the Chevy engine came out of unless it was from a '57 & older as all SBC, BBC, W-motors, straight 6, & LT Gen 2 blocks since '58 will have the three mount bolt pattern that will allow all to drop in as long as you have the correct model specific engine & frame side mounts. As long as you have the mount set for our cars it should just drop in. Your frame side rubber mounts should be Anchor 2292 or equivalent, don't have a p/n for the engine side to compair at this time. UMI does have a set designed for our cars & the 2292 mount. It also gives some extra clearance over the OE one.
Well, if the mechanic runs into any problems I am going to quote this to him, Likely he doesn't know that the bottom front of that side of the mount should be hanging over the edge, unless he spoke to someone who does know. Either way I will find out, and if need be show him this particular part of the thread. Could be it's a Confusing setup for him. This mount set was bought from JEGs and from what I have seen it fits the 305 fine. But again if any questions or concerns should arrive I will refer him to this posting. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
IMG_20220810_081519051_HDR.jpg

Picture for reference.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor