What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
MrSony, you need to chalk the tires and make a test run. I agree that they appear to be overinflated, the rating on the sidewall is a max pressure, not what the target is. Variables like load, wheel rim width, desired ride quality all affect the correct inflation PSI

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Should have pressure at 32PSI

Based on what? OE tire/wheel assembly?

I think he's got 235/60s on it. 7 or 8 inch wheel will require different pressures to maximize tire contact patch and treadlife.

There is no blanket answer for tire inflation...even the OE spec is a compromise based on treadwear, noise, ride quality, fuel economy/rolling resistance, and load capacity.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Based on what? OE tire/wheel assembly?

I think he's got 235/60s on it. 7 or 8 inch wheel will require different pressures to maximize tire contact patch and treadlife.

There is no blanket answer for tire inflation...even the OE spec is a compromise based on treadwear, noise, ride quality.
Been running them at 35psi. 30 psi and they would seem to squat, if that's the word for it. 235/60s on 15x7.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Been running them at 35psi. 30 psi and they would seem to squat, if that's the word for it. 235/60s on 15x7.

Almost guarantee you that's too much for a 235 on a 7 inch wheel. Usually works OK on an 8 inch wheel

Best way is to chalk them and adjust accordingly

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thermostat is f*cking leaking again. I'm about to dump this thing off a cliff. I'm going to replace the gasket AGAIN. And try my steel thermostat housing, as opposed to the cast aluminum one. What I don't understand is it was FINE the WHOLE day yesterday. Drove about 70 miles. Beat on it a little bit. Was fine last night as I was doing stuff. Come out this morning, it's got a puddle on the intake. Mother******.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Recommended pressure for any given tire is molded into the sidewall.

If you have time, let the RTV cure for a day before you put coolant in. I think I drilled and tapped my Olds for bigger bolts. Because, you know, bigger is always better!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Looked at them , as they sleep for the winter......and dreamed about installing the current parts on the shelve.

wait football is on ...got to go

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Recommended pressure for any given tire is molded into the sidewall.

If you have time, let the RTV cure for a day before you put coolant in. I think I drilled and tapped my Olds for bigger bolts. Because, you know, bigger is always better!

No, max inflation pressure is molded into the tire, recommended pressure (for the specified tire size) is placarded on the vehicle (commonly in the door jamb label since the late 70s, glovebox for Chevs of the 60s)

Agreed, RTV needs to cure before being placed in service

Did the manifold get checked for clean, unpitted, flat mating surface for the tstat housing?

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thermostat is f*cking leaking again. I'm about to dump this thing off a cliff. I'm going to replace the gasket AGAIN. And try my steel thermostat housing, as opposed to the cast aluminum one. What I don't understand is it was FINE the WHOLE day yesterday. Drove about 70 miles. Beat on it a little bit. Was fine last night as I was doing stuff. Come out this morning, it's got a puddle on the intake. Mother******.

are you sure it's the thermostat housing gasket that is leaking?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor