What did you do to your G-Body today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Actually late last night into the wee hours of today I temporarily bolted my new wheel on. Yesterday at some point I realized I had the steering shaft clocked 180 out, put the new wheel on before nodding and it was upside down, oops!! So I pulled the shaft (hehe!), and notched the column for the pinch bolt. I'll install it for good later this week hopefully.
20190817_235721.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Actually late last night into the wee hours of today I temporarily bolted my new wheel on. Yesterday at some point I realized I had the steering shaft clocked 180 out, put the new wheel on before nodding and it was upside down, oops!! So I pulled the shaft (hehe!), and notched the column for the pinch bolt. I'll install it for good later this week hopefully. View attachment 121370

that looks wheely nice.... :giggle:

• Haha
  • Clever
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Actually late last night into the wee hours of today I temporarily bolted my new wheel on. Yesterday at some point I realized I had the steering shaft clocked 180 out, put the new wheel on before nodding and it was upside down, oops!! So I pulled the shaft (hehe!), and notched the column for the pinch bolt. I'll install it for good later this week hopefully. View attachment 121370
See? So much better than cutting grass!!!!!:banana:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
before you cut you grass maybe you should think of this, "Lawn mowers use energy to cut the grass. Creation of that energy results in green house gas emissions which contribute to global warming. Elimination of grass, or large quantities of the plants, reduces the ability to convert CO2 back into carbon and oxygen. "

:cool:

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Got off my can and swapped in the manual tilt column before I destroyed it in the mess that was my garage. It will get less messy in there if I have more days like this.
DSCN5322.JPG DSCN5325.JPG DSCN5326.JPG DSCN5328.JPG

It's really gubby and the steering wheel is only slightly less sticky that the tan one. Am I blue...am I bluuuuuue...
DSCN5330.JPG DSCN5331.JPG DSCN5332.JPG DSCN5333a.jpg

One wire (white one) was damaged...I extracted the tiny connector, but had no luck spreading it open so I could reclamp it on the pruned back wire. Another day.
DSCN5334.JPG DSCN5335.JPG DSCN5336.JPG

Done! I'm putting the word out there that I am looking for one of the tiny spade ends that go in the long narrow black terminal block on top of the column (red arrow). I also need to locate a new gasket for the toeboard plate. But I did make a trace of the old one before bolting it in, so I can fab one on my own if needed.

Thanks to Donovan and JAMCAR223 for the #12 chukka boots, one to each cheek.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Today, well the first thing was to do a little cleaning and relocation of some non-car stuff. Then I climbed into my not so white bunny suit, put on my paint mask, slid under the Monte-Carlo and shot the final top coats of paint for the new floorboards. Sorry, no pics, paint dust was brutal even with a mask. Have to let that go a day or two to set right due to the humidity. My M/C is on Harbor Freight floor dollies so I can roll it around fairly easily. Did that and spent about a half hour or so with a vacuum to suck up all the dust and crud that had been accumulating. Shifted the car back into position and pulled the motor out of its storage spot. The plan is to drop it onto the engine mounts and then take a measurement from the top ear on the 4-speed to where the shifter sits to get the distance from the bell housing mounting face to the shifter. With the motor on its front mounts I can use the measurement from the transmission and measure the same distance from the bellhousing face back down the tunnel to locate where the cutaway for the shifter ought to get located on the tunnel. After that I can pop the motor back out, make the cuts for the pocket, mount the 4-speed to the mill and drop the whole unit as one for the last? time. The rest of the afternoon was non car stuff again so not getting into that. Pics?? yeah, do need to take some at this point as where I am at now is a way point or goal on the way to completion. Only took me about twelve years to get this far-( major hiatus in the middle due to personal issues and the need to build a proper garage. Hmm, just a minute, that reminds me-nope, will have to do some digging--too many pictures but here are a few. From top to bottom is, a general shot of the garage/shop, next is a junk in the trunk shot of parts and components waiting to be re-attached or worked on, the third shot is my 400 block being used for mock up duties. Being empty, it was perfect to use as a locator for the clutch Z-bar and its mounts to make sure everything fit according to how the factory had it originally. Finally, one of my 305, on its stand and bagged to keep it clean. This particular '05 is year correct to the body and drive train. What came out of it was an 05 but a Vortec that someone had dropped in sometime in the past. That motor is sitting on an engine dolly somewhere in the shop and unless I take on a hot rod project at some point will likely just get stuffed into a storage pocket along the south wall. For the droolers, the 400 is a four bolt main block that has never been bored over. it came out of a race garage that my neighbour had and he gifted it to me for my help. Scored a 327 forged crank by swapping him a 350 crank that I had gathering dust. He needed a core for the machine shop and had been seriously contemplating giving up the forged piece. It does need its journals done but, hey, a forged crank!?!?. More pics as I find time to take them.

CopperNicks photo gallery 001.JPG
CopperNicks photo gallery 016.JPG
CopperNicks photo gallery 004.JPG

Tales from the garage 025.JPG

Attachments

• Tales from the garage 022.JPG
    Tales from the garage 022.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 107
  • Tales from the garage 022.JPG
    Tales from the garage 022.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 115
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Pulled the modified regal hood hinges. I've been fighting with the idea to repaint them, but they have some overspray from final paint prep of the car. Figure better do it now!!! Luckily they were POR 15'd, so I just hit them with a red scotch brite pad to prep for a repaint, hopefully tomorrow.
20190818_224621.jpg
20190819_000013.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor