What did you do to your G-Body today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
You sure it doesn't have a timer built in? You might even get lucky with theater dimming!

you know, I never even thought of that. I did a very quick just wire-into-the-harness-end mock up just to check the lighting and they stayed on so I knew something wasn’t right and decided troubleshooting was fit for another day. I Didn’t know this particular mirror had a timer or delayed dimming option. I will wire it it all up correctly and report back my findings. If I can find a seamless install for this particular mirror I’ll even write up a how-to to share with everyone. I love the use of OEM GM parts to upgrade our cars but I always want to make sure it’s done correctly too. The options this mirror has is very appealing, the only other thing I wish it had built in was a Homelink garage door opener but I have other plans for that feature in the future.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I finally got to dive in to the car after a year in storage. Got it up on jacks and the wheels off to be sent to get new tires some time this week. Hate it on the jacks, always scares me that its gunna fall.

I started planning wiring up the auto dim/compass/temp/map light mirror (GNTX-221 for this interested) but found that I'll probably have to make a stand alone harness for power and such. The other map light mirror I had in before would have the lights come on when the door is opened and also controllable with the switches. A quick test of this new mirror proved the opposite, the lights would come on when the doors were opened or closed and never shut off. That's not right. I didn't expect it to work the same but was hopeful still. Back to the drawing board.
Most of those Gentex mirrors are ground switched. They want their signal line grounded when they are supposed to turn and not grounded when they should be off. You can check this by pulling the dome light bulb out and testing which side of the bulb connector has continuity to ground.

Attach a wire from that side of the dome light to the Door Switch wire on the mirror.

Also be aware, some mirrors have a battery draw on the Constant 12v wire, even when the Ignition 12v wire is off. This can result in a slow battery drain. These mirrors are meant for vehicles that have a time delay sleep function.

This can be overcome, but is something to watch out for.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Most of those Gentex mirrors are ground switched. They want their signal line grounded when they are supposed to turn and not grounded when they should be off. You can check this by pulling the dome light bulb out and testing which side of the bulb connector has continuity to ground.

Attach a wire from that side of the dome light to the Door Switch wire on the mirror.

Also be aware, some mirrors have a battery draw on the Constant 12v wire, even when the Ignition 12v wire is off. This can result in a slow battery drain. These mirrors are meant for vehicles that have a time delay sleep function.

This can be overcome, but is something to watch out for.

Yeah I found the diagram for it and it is ground switched to the door switch, it just happened to be on even when the door was closed. The previous mirror I had with map lights was wired to come on as well with the ground switch so I'm curious as to why this one didn't work the same way when wiring up just the light portion.

I've wondered about the draw as well. The diagram I have shows the main power is to be tied to a switched source, but also has another wire going to a fused positive line.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah I found the diagram for it and it is ground switched to the door switch, it just happened to be on even when the door was closed. The previous mirror I had with map lights was wired to come on as well with the ground switch so I'm curious as to why this one didn't work the same way when wiring up just the light portion.

I've wondered about the draw as well. The diagram I have shows the main power is to be tied to a switched source, but also has another wire going to a fused positive line.
Just tap the trigger to ground, then see if it goes out....

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Pulled out the front seatbelt mounts to get some dynamat onto the rear quarter panels, then cut some wood pieces to make a cover for the air ride pod so that you can only see the tank instead of all the wires

Reactions: 4 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017

You can use a time delay relay out of a 90's Chrysler product tied to the always on power to replicate the sleep circuit.

Otherwise, you can tie the two power wires together and put them both on accessory power. The only disadvantage to doing it this way is that the dome and map lights won't turn on until the keys are on.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
You can use a time delay relay out of a 90's Chrysler product tied to the always on power to replicate the sleep circuit.

Otherwise, you can tie the two power wires together and put them both on accessory power. The only disadvantage to doing it this way is that the dome and map lights won't turn on until the keys are on.

Yeah that relay might be something I look in to. I have T-tops so I do want the map lights to come on when I open the door because of how minimal lighting is in the car as it is.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
Long time, no talk peeps. I just took the battery out of the Bu' and put in on a trickle charge in the basement. It's that time of year again. 🥶

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Drove it halfway to work this morning....rode in the rollback cab the rest of the way :( Lotta miles and cold weather...guess the trans decided it was done

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Finally got around to installing the rear shocks I bought about 4 months ago. The old ones came out surprisingly easy. They were also surprisingly junk. Wore slap out. Found that when Jegs heated the springs to lower the car the passenger side spring is about 2 inches taller than the driver side. The PS shock lower bold would not line up completely true. I got it about 95% but it wouldn't go 100. I'm going to drive it a few miles to see if it changes. Didn't see any defects or damage to shock or mount? The old shock was flush. The rear is about 2 inches taller now and I'm really hoping that it settles. Feels like I'm driving downhill. Because of the crooked bolt I didn't check my G-Body shuffle for improvement. The car definitely rides better. The control arm bushings show some rot. I'll try to get those replaced when I fix the bolt. May as well since the car will be in the air anyway. Top pic is the offending bolt.
IMG_20191112_211246.jpg
IMG_20191112_211349.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor