What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Monte81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 12, 2016
Finally got the new cell in. Just need to wire the sending unit up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_114321.jpg
    IMG_20200802_114321.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I installed the AD244 alternator, the adapter I had for the CS144 had a mertri-pack 150 pin for the light so I was able to put install that into the plug for the AD244. I used the 22 gauge wire to intall on the B terminal so I happy I didn't have to splice any wires. This is the reading at idle...

20200805_155430.jpg

now onto the brakes....the calipers came into today and I got one installed but when I got to the bleeder the 3/8" wrench would not fit, I didn't notice when installing the brake line cause 7/16" fits an 11 mm all day long.....the f*&k*ng calipers were metric and that means they are low drag. The ones I ordered were SAE....the boxes have the right part number for the SAE calipers with a 3" piston but they put metric calipers with a 2.75" piston in the box....... :mad:

Reactions: 3 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Finally cleaning of trunk area and reinstalled the carpet.
View attachment 153753
View attachment 153754
Installed a new-to-me A/C vacuum line behind the dash. Previous one melted somehow.
View attachment 153755
Also wired in the A/C hot wire that the previous owner cut for some reason. I got a blower motor now, although it is very weak even on high. I don’t expect much for 30 years old and not having been used in who knows how long. The AC setup is pulled from the car anyways, one step closer to getting it all working though.
View attachment 153756
You can catch a glimpse of all of the previous wiring repair that I’ve done on the car since I’ve had it. Previous owner(s) we’re not friendly to the wiring. Undoing others mess ups is both interesting and irritating.

Here soon after the body work is at least 95% complete I have to replace the resistor on the blower motor (Which I assume is the problem of the high fan setting all of sudden going out) how hard is it to get to the motor?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Previous owner(s) we’re not friendly to the wiring. Undoing others mess ups is both interesting and irritating.
[/QUOTE]
You've got that right, I have an AC dash that is nearly ready to be installed in my Caballero that the previous owner(s) cut more than half of the instrument cluster wiring to install aftermarket gauges. Sometimes you gotta wonder "what was that guy thinking".

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Here soon after the body work is at least 95% complete I have to replace the resistor on the blower motor (Which I assume is the problem of the high fan setting all of sudden going out) how hard is it to get to the motor?
If you’ve got an A/C-Heat box it’s like a 10 minute job to do both the resistor and blower motor. Both come right out of the top of the box.

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
If you have an AC unit, it will look like this.
20200805_192911.jpg

Several small screws, approx 9/32 or 1/4 inch.
The resistor is on the underside of this plug.
20200805_193015.jpg

If you have heat only, they will be mounted vertically parallel to the firewall.

If your fan works, the problem will likely be the resistor.
I am still in process of my AC conversion, so don't mind the wiring mess.

Reactions: 2 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ

5spdCab already beat me to it. While that is correct on how to replace the blower motor resistor, that’s not what I have done. Just yet anyways. I’ve read that the “high” setting is tied to the hot side of the battery directly. I can check my wiring manual tomorrow to confirm but that may have something to do with while yours suddenly stopped. Or it’s just old. I have to constantly remind myself that my car is 32 years old and stuff just doesn’t last that long some times.

• Love

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
5spdCab already beat me to it. While that is correct on how to replace the blower motor resistor, that’s not what I have done. Just yet anyways. I’ve read that the “high” setting is tied to the hot side of the battery directly. I can check my wiring manual tomorrow to confirm but that may have something to do with while yours suddenly stopped. Or it’s just old. I have to constantly remind myself that my car is 32 years old and stuff just doesn’t last that long some times.
This is correct. The blower high speed is fed directly off the relay which pulls power from a fusible link at the starter. The resistor only controls the lower speeds. Usually, high speed failure is the 4 pin plug near the heater core having melted.

• Agree

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
did some testing on the hood and fender. I was expecting the color to be a little bit darker. Ultimately the car isn’t going tostay with this paint but it’s something I wanted to try and I was sick of the horrible flat black rattle can job the car has. It has fish eye in the paint the size of a dime.

I didn’t really wanna say what I was doing till I was done and was able to show the final outcome but why not just show the process and failure along the way.
I have done quite a bit a research on this and many people are baffled by the concept of it. I have seen quite a bit of success when done correctly. At the end of the day the car will at least have good base for me to work off of.

The was the first coat I did a horrible job but now I know what I need to change and do on the rest of the car. I’m am going to get more material and start to disassemble what I can to do the rest.

Attachments

• D8E1264A-91B6-46F0-AA59-D55596D1A30B.jpeg
    D8E1264A-91B6-46F0-AA59-D55596D1A30B.jpeg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 127
  • F64C1E14-300A-4B82-A64F-D2BEE0BED33D.jpeg
    F64C1E14-300A-4B82-A64F-D2BEE0BED33D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • 2835F347-DAE7-43F2-B9FB-430593E4AA23.jpeg
    2835F347-DAE7-43F2-B9FB-430593E4AA23.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
This is correct. The blower high speed is fed directly off the relay which pulls power from a fusible link at the starter. The resistor only controls the lower speeds. Usually, high speed failure is the 4 pin plug near the heater core having melted.

Okay when I get this body work done or close too, I am going to check the Fusible Link and the relay, At the same time though the other two lower settings do not work so I do feel I am going to have to replace the resistor either way, but certainly I will be checking out the Fusible Link, don't need the car catching on fire. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor