What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yeah, but some fast noodling with a cid calculator tells me that if my block can stay at that 4.125, that is, it doesn't require an overbore to clean up the cylinder walls, and I use a 4" stroke, I get 427+ cubic inches. Hmmmm.

As for those accursed steam holes, they just mean $$$ to acquire new heads aftermarket. Bother.

Nick

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yeah, but some fast noodling with a cid calculator tells me that if my block can stay at that 4.125, that is, it doesn't require an overbore to clean up the cylinder walls, and I use a 4" stroke, I get 427+ cubic inches. Hmmmm.

As for those accursed steam holes, they just mean $$$ to acquire new heads aftermarket. Bother.

Nick
Just have to drill steam holes so any 'good' head w/the right size combustion chamber should work.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, but some fast noodling with a cid calculator tells me that if my block can stay at that 4.125, that is, it doesn't require an overbore to clean up the cylinder walls, and I use a 4" stroke, I get 427+ cubic inches.
I believe you would have to go with an aftermarket block to be able to clearance a 4" SBC stroker crank, IMO I would keep the stock stroke and do .030 over to get a nice clean bore.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Got the harness removed from the 6.0. Next weekend I can find out for sure if a 6l90 won't fit. I have low expectations, but hey, at least I'll know for sure.

When re-working the harness, is there something else other than the tool you guys have found to work when removing the wires from the plugs?
6L80E/90E needs tunnel work to fit right. I made that pin tool out of a small screw driver.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Pulled the contents out of the Monte's interior and trunk. Now we can get down to business... the moment I get the breakers for the 240V. FML.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas

Nick
Stock 400 sbc's also used the shorter 5.565" rod. I was told there's always cylinder clean-up required because of the resulting additional side loading from the shorter rods use since the motors were typically used in HD apps (trucks, wagons, vans, full-size cars).

• Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Apparently so. Think this one came out of a full size Chebbie station wagon, possibly a 71 or 72. I have not candled the block number all that closely in recent memory. Side loading could prove to be a problem; I would need a good bore gauge and a bit of quiet time to run the cylinders and see just how bad things are. Biggest issue with the 400 is that those siamesed cylinder sleeves severely limit the possible overbore; .030 is about the practical max as I recall.

As for the steam holes, While, as suggested, any "good" cylinder could do as a core or starting point, the actual drilling is not so straight forward. Those holes do not get drilled at a 90 degree or perpendicular angle to the gasket face. They must be both specifically sited to intersect with the coolant passages in the head and must do so at a specific angle of intersection; all while staying in alignment with the matching holes in the deck of the block. If any parameter is out of alignment then the holes will land misaligned and the heads will be ruined. This is not a job that I would trust to either of my local machine shops; I would almost be forced to seek out a race engine shop and hope they have an opening and a machinist with multiple decades of experience and expertise (There is A Difference) in doing these heads as well as owning a beard so long and grey that he can tuck it in his belt!!

Nick

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Apparently so. Think this one came out of a full size Chebbie station wagon, possibly a 71 or 72. I have not candled the block number all that closely in recent memory. Side loading could prove to be a problem; I would need a good bore gauge and a bit of quiet time to run the cylinders and see just how bad things are. Biggest issue with the 400 is that those siamesed cylinder sleeves severely limit the possible overbore; .030 is about the practical max as I recall.

As for the steam holes, While, as suggested, any "good" cylinder could do as a core or starting point, the actual drilling is not so straight forward. Those holes do not get drilled at a 90 degree or perpendicular angle to the gasket face. They must be both specifically sited to intersect with the coolant passages in the head and must do so at a specific angle of intersection; all while staying in alignment with the matching holes in the deck of the block. If any parameter is out of alignment then the holes will land misaligned and the heads will be ruined. This is not a job that I would trust to either of my local machine shops; I would almost be forced to seek out a race engine shop and hope they have an opening and a machinist with multiple decades of experience and expertise (There is A Difference) in doing these heads as well as owning a beard so long and grey that he can tuck it in his belt!!

Nick
.040" over is usually the limit on stock blocks. I have a .030" used block/5.565" rotating assembly & a .040" old/rebuild 5.7" rod short block. Any more than that guys start filling the lower cooling passages to the core plug & hope for the best. Definitely limited street use on those filled blocks but I've known more than one guy that's done it.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
as well as owning a beard so long and grey that he can tuck it in his belt!!

Nick
Those beards need work, just due to natural shedding you never notice when it's short.

Mine has been growing since 2017, and even if I straighten it out, it's ending short of the belly button.

And if the gut grows, I'd imagine then you need even more length to cover the distance. Neverending problems I tell you.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Wee-ell, Me and mine have been close associates since the 70's! Only lost it once; was bidding on a job opening and decided that being clean shaven might give me an edge. Nebba happened; some other shnook took the pie. So I grew the beard back and under my lower lip it has resided since. It gets longer and furrier in the winter and short and bristly in the summer. I have had it for so long that it has come into and gone out of fashion at least twice; currently fashionable again, It has also changed from red to white.

As for work, well I just wash it regularly and keep the wild hairs in check and that about covers it. Oh, yeah, No soup. (LOL) The attached avatar picture was in the summertime, it's longer now

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor