What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Yesterday I decided to replace the seats in my Malibu, I picked up some Honda Civic seats for $100, I do not recommend Honda seats, took 6 hours to get drivers seat in, alot of stupid fabrication was done, I had to cut factory track to lower the seat, what a pain,
pics would be greatly appreciated.
did you have to cut the honda seat track or the malibu seat track?

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
nothing,it's 23 degrees out.I'm living vicariously through you kids..
Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
2F53B63A-A931-45F0-A061-4F74C927BED6.jpeg

I didn’t take pics building these, but the Honda tracks are flat, I’ll take pics of those

Attachments

• 36ABE6DF-5822-4919-AE96-262D73227D96.jpeg
    36ABE6DF-5822-4919-AE96-262D73227D96.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 134
  • A95E3C61-3E36-486A-AC44-BA2C8913B151.jpeg
    A95E3C61-3E36-486A-AC44-BA2C8913B151.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
Reactions: 3 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
Cut some tracks that I had laying around for a split bench, I didn’t want to cut my bucket seat ones

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Congratulations on the new house; time to turn it into a home and make some memories for it . As a homeowner myself, just a thought here, get some serious house insurance!! I just finished having a new roof put on and sh*t like that makes the insurance people happy which translates into lower premiums (mostly) Oh yeah, you probably had to as a condition of purchase but, if not, do the house inspection drill and make sure whoever does/did the walk through takes a serious look at the electrical, including the box, the HVAC, the plumbing, and the wet spots, like the kitchen sink wall and the bathroom floor. Probably preaching to the choir here but it ranges from hilarious to amazing to insane what can get used during a rehab and get past final inspection if it isn't visible and the inspector is ………….lazy??

Okay, totally off topic in the first paragraph so back on track here.

A thread or so ago I mentioned that I was about to get back to the M/Carlo brakes. Some weeks back I had pulled down the driver's side rear drum to replace the emerg cable and the teardown was about as far as I got. (Multiple projects = multiple distractions) While I was there...…………….…...Y'all are familiar with that expression I do hope (LMAO), I decided to give the backing plate some wire wheel love and it subsequently received a decent cleaning and rust, crud, and old paint removal. Then it received a fresh coat of flat black enamel to cover up the sins of use and old age. Actually it cleaned up fairly well for being probably the original item.

So yesterday after I completed one of my interruptions, I went back to the brakes and snapped in the new emerg cable and started to go over the parts so I could do the rebuild. Well my eyes said one thing and my finger tips said another when it came to actually handling some of the hard parts so I left the job at that point and came back to it today.

The mental coin toss had come out in favor of my fingers so, piece by piece I brought the offending items over to the vice, gently clamped them in place and applied a wire wheel to them. The wire wheel took the surface crap but exposed the fact that there was some serious concretation buried underneath the surface schmutz. So out came my all time favorite shop tool, (Everybody has one; y'know ya do!) that being my Dremel tool along with a new package of 60 gr micro-wheels. One complete pack of wheels reduced to trash later and I had all three miscreants cleaned and surfaced down to where I could see bare metal again. A fast cleaning with brake cleaner, the lacquer thinner can was empty and in need of a refill, and they all got a fresh coat or two of flat black enamel. Nothing pretty, just a good solid coat of paint to protect them from the perils of their habitat. Think I mentioned in a previous thread that the first coin toss gave the win to using the new shoes and having the current ones join the "B" team. So tomorrow it is back to the shop and hopefully, get this side done. Pictures?? you seen one brake job, it's interesting; after that it gets repetitious and my camera gets bored. Somewhere on this multi-site there is likely to be a detailed how to on the subject. I have service manuals for my ride that are vehicle specific, both Chilton and Haynes, and beyond them there is always the factory service manual that I spent good money for a decade or so ago and have never regretted it. Have them for all my vehicles, even my ma's legacy Sedan de Ville which is unlikely to ever see the road again.

(Getting it to start isn't the problem, the factory designed the frame so as to put a section of it right in the way of where water drains down past the firewall and off the car. It would take a frame off exercise to completely and safely repair the frame. Apart from that a fresh from apprentice school mechanic couldn't tell the difference between rust and a multi application extra heavy layer of undercoating and failed the floor as being rusted out so I couldn't get a clear title for it when Mom passed. So it sits in my garage, under its cover, a legacy to her. I may get it running anyway just so it will be ready when my time comes. May have to put that in the will. Hmmmm.)

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor