What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
did some work on the elkie trailer project yesterday. finally managed to knock the front passenger cab mount out to remove the cutoff-cab. used a propane torch to heat up the rubber doughnut, finally got it off. then used a sawzall with a carbide/grit blade (cuz no metal-cutting blades) to cut thru the metal bushing and the bolt inside. one more body mount by the drivers seat mount and it will be time to lift it off.

View attachment 235335

Are you making a trailer out of an Elly body and frame?

Reactions: 86LK
Are you making a trailer out of an Elly body and frame?
it was a Caballero caught in a flash flood and completely non-restorable. roof got hammered, dirt, mud, silt, gravel got put in to every crevice, nook, and cranny (behind the dash, in the frame rails, above the headliner, in the engine block, etc). everything behind the cab actually survived unscathed, so perfect for my plans.

ABLVV85GCvhLdAyepqxPU7D_v8Kd-w3sHQs0_49ngrxKCXq5QfRCwtIb6R6z_kYjVRZOXeqFbA2ISkEKGxA0PejYn2m8aq9L1giJOcoyMRjnMh6B4oYR0WUK383tv9haeHtKTePU3pdhNgRuao04yMTEpqsp=w1086-h815-s-no-gm

it was a Caballero caught in a flash flood and completely non-restorable. roof got hammered, dirt, mud, silt, gravel got put in to every crevice, nook, and cranny (behind the dash, in the frame rails, above the headliner, in the engine block, etc). everything behind the cab actually survived unscathed, so perfect for my plans.

ABLVV85GCvhLdAyepqxPU7D_v8Kd-w3sHQs0_49ngrxKCXq5QfRCwtIb6R6z_kYjVRZOXeqFbA2ISkEKGxA0PejYn2m8aq9L1giJOcoyMRjnMh6B4oYR0WUK383tv9haeHtKTePU3pdhNgRuao04yMTEpqsp=w1086-h815-s-no-gm

Please post pics of progress! I'm curious what direction you go after taking the cab off and addressing the front where the smugglers box is. I'm on ECC also and have seen some interesting takes on doing the front of the trailer

I have a junk frame and a body with no title. Thought of doing the same thing. Just never seen a good way to deal with the back glass/ smugglers box area.

Reactions: Ugly1
Please post pics of progress! I'm curious what direction you go after taking the cab off and addressing the front where the smugglers box is. I'm on ECC also and have seen some interesting takes on doing the front of the trailer

I have a junk frame and a body with no title. Thought of doing the same thing. Just never seen a good way to deal with the back glass/ smugglers box area.
what year?

found a pic from the flood report. this was the el camino after the water receded. it doesn't look that high above the river below but it was sitting at least 20ft higher vertically and 100-150ft further up the slope. there was a LOT of water that night. flood level hit 45ft which was about 4-5ft above where the El Camino sat so it just floated off and flipped over. I ended up selling the front clip, engine, and some trim pieces people needed.
I'll tell you one thing, don't EVER try to restore a car (unless it's 1 of 1, and valuable) that has been in a flood.

29FLOODSUB2-articleLarge.jpg

what year?

78, the one off year. It has already donated alot to my current build. Alot of the body panels are real rusty in odd places.

Reactions: Ugly1
Still working on body a few days had enough epoxy primer left to seal the roof useing light out side to see defects...the little red spot putty places were not applied with a spreader but I'm useing the end of my index finger .that finger smearing isn't as smooth',but I trust it over the spreader for small craters/ Chip" ect.there are places spot putty can be spread but these are not candidates for first coat trust me ...you use the spot putty wrong and your going to have paint flaking off when you pressure wash your final finish I don't know why the pic is so grainy where it looks like it's painted over rotton paint some kind of a digital devil "effect ,its not but ....there is a little hole near the end of the drip rail, that I have to seal from inside ....proubly jb weld it and the drip caulk looks so rough that I'm going to pour some clear coat with hardner in it before color goes on so you know!
20240214_161428.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor