What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my frame and core support back from sandblasting so now I can get to work on these bushing mounts and boxing the frame.

Attachments

• 0CBC1DCF-DD8D-41AF-8B5E-97691026E516.jpeg
    0CBC1DCF-DD8D-41AF-8B5E-97691026E516.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • ECD82CE0-CC2F-4591-BF9D-5DEC2E76279D.jpeg
    ECD82CE0-CC2F-4591-BF9D-5DEC2E76279D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 559BAD49-9C6F-4321-9373-E869FF400C4D.jpeg
    559BAD49-9C6F-4321-9373-E869FF400C4D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: 5 users
Started repairing my driver's door last night. Unfortunately I found previous repair work that the "bondo magician" had done that sold me the car. Luckily he wasn't a good welder and I was able to pop the old repair panel off the door skin with a screwdriver.

I still have a lot of work to do but I was happy making some progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 2 users
Messed with it a little last night after working on the Blazer some, got it all wired up to test but wouldn't fire. Gonna have to see if I have to change more within the Sniper for it to work right, was pretty sure I had already made the changes in it to say it was running the Hyperspark but was trying to rush since it is gonna be 70 today and was hoping to get it out for a little

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I visited Mayberry, and, then got together with the guy who was involved with shutting down the service department of this place, he gave me a plate:

20230223_175233.jpg

Then I ended up striking a deal to buy the dealerships old shop manual collection. Spanned from the early 1950s through the late 1990s. So, got more gbody gm shop manuals to fill out the collection.

This is what 64 file boxes of gm manuals look like in a yukon. As for the actual number of manuals, some of which are the binder type, I lost count when I passed 600 of them and we took a break from loading after they offered me a cold drink.

20230223_175132.jpg

There's a couple duplicates so I wouldn't feel bad about finding a new home for those. But there's also some others that I don't currently have a use for, but, think maybe some of you guys could use if you ended up being interested.

I just don't know if I should keep the collection together as a remnant of the dealership which I guess is closed these days, or, not worry about it.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Well, I visited Mayberry, and, then got together with the guy who was involved with shutting down the service department of this place, he gave me a plate:

View attachment 216683

Then I ended up striking a deal to buy the dealerships old shop manual collection. Spanned from the early 1950s through the late 1990s. So, got more gbody gm shop manuals to fill out the collection.

This is what 64 file boxes of gm manuals look like in a yukon. As for the actual number of manuals, some of which are the binder type, I lost count when I passed 600 of them and we took a break from loading after they offered me a cold drink.

View attachment 216684

There's a couple duplicates so I wouldn't feel bad about finding a new home for those. But there's also some others that I don't currently have a use for, but, think maybe some of you guys could use if you ended up being interested.

I just don't know if I should keep the collection together as a remnant of the dealership which I guess is closed these days, or, not worry about it.
how far back does that collection go? if you have spares there's some I could use. sending PM

I had an alignment done a few days ago, here's the sheet.
Long story short, it still drives the same, still wanders to the right, but my wheel is centered now. So that's nice. I mainly did it for the specs. I guess it's a bit less "darty" at speed but what 40 year old car isn't at 80mph with 30mph crosswinds on the highwa
I had an alignment done a few days ago, here's the sheet.
Long story short, it still drives the same, still wanders to the right, but my wheel is centered now. So that's nice. I mainly did it for the specs. I guess it's a bit less "darty" at speed but what 40 year old car isn't at 80mph with 30mph crosswinds on the highway.
View attachment 215914

making plans to upgrade my control arm to tubular. so I call around to a couple of alignment shops (firestone and Midas.....) to get a quote on an alignment on a 87 Cutlass. i was told they couldn't do the alignment because their tubular, and that they don't have the spec to align a car that old, so i was wondering where are guys that are doing these kinds of upgrade or taking their cars to get and alignment.

how far back does that collection go? if you have spares there's some I could use. sending PM
The oldest thing that stuck out at me was a 1951 chevrolet truck manual. The newest that stuck out was I think around a 98 c/k series? I know there was 1997 camaro/firebird. With the really old stuff there's gaps. I saw some 1990s corvette stuff, at least 1991,2,3,4,5.

There's also probably at least 2 dozen geo, and a full box that was 1990s fwd lumina/cutlass/etc. Eventually I stopped really perusing and just loaded up. Left about 5:30am, hung out for a bit over an hour at the place, got back home about 4:45. The 8.1L only used 25 gallons of gas headed up, including 45 minutes of delay in Charlotte this morning, and 26 gallons back. 370 miles each way. So it was 14.8mpg up there, and, 14.2mpg back. Trip up mightve averaged 75 mph except the traffic snaffu, but back mightve spent more time closer to 80 and probably had over 2500? 3000? pounds of manuals back there.

Reactions: 1 user
The oldest thing that stuck out at me was a 1951 chevrolet truck manual. The newest that stuck out was I think around a 98 c/k series? I know there was 1997 camaro/firebird. With the really old stuff there's gaps. I saw some 1990s corvette stuff, at least 1991,2,3,4,5.

There's also probably at least 2 dozen geo, and a full box that was 1990s fwd lumina/cutlass/etc. Eventually I stopped really perusing and just loaded up. Left about 5:30am, hung out for a bit over an hour at the place, got back home about 4:45. The 8.1L only used 25 gallons of gas headed up, including 45 minutes of delay in Charlotte this morning, and 26 gallons back. 370 miles each way. So it was 14.8mpg up there, and, 14.2mpg back. Trip up mightve averaged 75 mph except the traffic snaffu, but back mightve spent more time closer to 80 and probably had over 2500? 3000? pounds of manuals back there.

Dibs on 98 C/K series?

Dibs on 98 C/K series?
If there's 2, I'm sure we could work something out. Or even if there's a 97, that'd be close enough for me if I ever got one I'd bet.

I couldn't resist poking a little bit out there, but, the problem is there's so many boxes and I'm just not up for lifting them again today...

So. Anyone amused by this:
20230223_205753.jpg

Ended up having a some time to work in the garage this afternoon. Had a quick project to handle with my oldest and then got to work on the front brakes of the '80. The disc brake backing plates I ordered from OPGI took a bit longer than expected but finally got here. I installed them with new hardware easy enough. And the 7/16-20 Helicoil kit came in a few days ago to repair the caliper bolt holes on the passenger side, so I handled that too. Luckily a FastenAll was near where we were this morning because none of the local hardware stores had the 29/64" drill bit I needed for the HeliCoil kit. Didn't realize it wasn't included.

Having never used a Helicoil I leaned a few things along the way, and used 4 thread inserts to fix 2 holes. But now I know how to do it.

I need to order another 5 inserts to keep on the shelf for possible future use. I finished up and the car is on the ground again.

IMG_3935.jpeg IMG_3936.jpeg IMG_3926.jpeg IMG_3937.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor