What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Might be a useful exercise to e-mail or phone Edelbrock and inquire as to where they were sourcing their lifters from back then. They might just ante up and tell you true or they might dance around the question faster than a one armed wall-paper hanger with a nasty case of the crabs. it might also say on the box, something along the line of "assembled in the US from globally sourced components" That tends to translate out to, the body came from China, the plunger from Mexico, the spring from the Phillipines, and the retainer from ???? If the box happens to say, "made in Poland or Ceska, you might have lucked out.

When I commented that the ones I am sitting on were purchased over ten years ago, the resulting sentiment was that I was fairly safe. Up until now I had not thought to look for a date code or a production slip in the various boxes. Now I may just have to go and do that little thing.

The link below goes to the TriFive Forum and is an excerpt of a lifter discussion that occurred over there. It might offer you some ideas on where to source a set of lifters that you could depend on.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
new brake pads, fixed exhaust again, tightened some bolts that rattled loose, fixed washer pump.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Did some digging with nothing yet which I guess is sorta a good thing but thinking that it def jumped out of timing, gonna have a buddy come over and help me check ignition and mechanical timing before tearing into anything
20230604_133248(1).jpg
20230604_133837(1).jpg

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Might be a useful exercise to e-mail or phone Edelbrock and inquire as to where they were sourcing their lifters from back then. They might just ante up and tell you true or they might dance around the question faster than a one armed wall-paper hanger with a nasty case of the crabs. it might also say on the box, something along the line of "assembled in the US from globally sourced components" That tends to translate out to, the body came from China, the plunger from Mexico, the spring from the Phillipines, and the retainer from ???? If the box happens to say, "made in Poland or Ceska, you might have lucked out.

When I commented that the ones I am sitting on were purchased over ten years ago, the resulting sentiment was that I was fairly safe. Up until now I had not thought to look for a date code or a production slip in the various boxes. Now I may just have to go and do that little thing.

The link below goes to the TriFive Forum and is an excerpt of a lifter discussion that occurred over there. It might offer you some ideas on where to source a set of lifters that you could depend on.

Nick
Just spoke with my builder and he confirmed also that there is a real issue with flat tappet however he doesn’t see the issue or have any problems with a roller setup. I said great because that’s what is going in my build. So I feel a little better about that. I’m definitely paying the money for the dyno time to confirm how it runs before I finish paying for the build.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Just spoke with my builder and he confirmed also that there is a real issue with flat tappet however he doesn’t see the issue or have any problems with a roller setup. I said great because that’s what is going in my build. So I feel a little better about that. I’m definitely paying the money for the dyno time to confirm how it runs before I finish paying for the build.
If there is an industry wide issue & there's impact on the roller stuff, I wonder if it's common in the 'typical' replacement type part & not so much the high-end (Morel or Johnson lifters)?

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If there is an industry wide issue & there's impact on the roller stuff, I wonder if it's common in the 'typical' replacement type part & not so much the high-end (Morel or Johnson lifters)?
i rembember last year the machine shop that i was using said something similar about the flat tappet failures.he said we should go roller for xyz reasons,little did i know when he informed me afterwards that i need to replace these rollers every 5 years..see price on these lifters???MF..

• Wow

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
i rembember last year the machine shop that i was using said something similar about the flat tappet failures.he said we should go roller for xyz reasons,little did i know when he informed me afterwards that i need to replace these rollers every 5 years..see price on these lifters???MF..
every...5...years? W...T...F...!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor