What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, '80-'85 round gauges (all '80-'85 Monte, with gauges '80-'85 Malibu/El Camino/Caballero, with out gauges '82-'85 Malibu/El Camino/Caballero.)
Thanks! I will give him the info. They are novices to restoring G Body but it shoulld help them gain some catalogs and other info. I found them on Ebay as well but I trust Ebay about as much as I trust liberals

I will try to track it down, 70's PU's in Washington are mostly rusted beyond repair

Screenshot_20230620_225300_Chrome.jpg

Its surprisingly solid, and, hard to find with the specific parts intact and all together.

I want it for myself, but, I've got a 77 and 79 already at various stages as c10 projects. I should dump the 79 to pick this one up if I was thinking rationally, but, I'm already attached to the other two.

Reactions: DRIVEN
DSCN3768.JPG

So this is what the passenger's side quarter panel on my 85 M/Carlo SS looks like when it is stripped down to bare, more or less, metal.

DSCN3770.JPG

Left this as a show and tell to illustrate just how many layers of paint that were uncovered. The factory color was actually "Claret", aka Burgundy, aka Deep Cherry aks whatever the flavor of the year was for that color. For those who avow that Claret and Burgundy aren't same color, well they get found on the same page in the color charts and that is good enough for me.

DSCN3769.JPG

A close up of a section of the panel where I did get down to the OEM color. It took 11 60 grit DA discs to get to this layer. Over it had been applied, at one time or another 2(3?) layers of "French Vanilla" white and still another coat of, well. call it "Refrigerator White". Why so many shots is beyond me. Each layer did have a coat of primer sealer between it and the one below it so..............

DSCN3771.JPG

"The passenger side quarter panel front lower sheet metal section." Or something along that line when I went to see if such a piece was available. Come to find out that GoodMark makes one and my yard carries their line so it is now on order with a 2-3 week delivery date. Works for me as I am back in the rotation for two weeks of shifts starting on Monday.

As you can see, this one is done. When the new one arrives, it will be the template for what I need to cut away and, once that is done, I can get on with removing the rest of the rocker panel assembly and see what needs to be done to prep the site for the new pieces.

Had more fun today but the pics are to be found elsewhere.

Nick

Reactions: mr evil
Went to the in-laws to grab some parts from the old shed where our old trailer was to find out the mice got in & chewed the only driver side power window harness I had. Guess I might have to redo it just to have it incase I change my mind on not having power windows.

• Sad
Reactions: Rktpwrd
Yesterday I swapped out the thin airhorn gasket for the thick type gasket on the E4ME Qjet. Doing so improved the solenoid travel from 2.5/32 to 4.5/32 which is close to the factory spec 4/32 travel. I don't know if thicker airhorn gaskets are always better for M/C solenoid travel or its case by case.

View attachment 223035

So this is what the passenger's side quarter panel on my 85 M/Carlo SS looks like when it is stripped down to bare, more or less, metal.

View attachment 223036

Left this as a show and tell to illustrate just how many layers of paint that were uncovered. The factory color was actually "Claret", aka Burgundy, aka Deep Cherry aks whatever the flavor of the year was for that color. For those who avow that Claret and Burgundy aren't same color, well they get found on the same page in the color charts and that is good enough for me.

View attachment 223038

A close up of a section of the panel where I did get down to the OEM color. It took 11 60 grit DA discs to get to this layer. Over it had been applied, at one time or another 2(3?) layers of "French Vanilla" white and still another coat of, well. call it "Refrigerator White". Why so many shots is beyond me. Each layer did have a coat of primer sealer between it and the one below it so..............

View attachment 223039

"The passenger side quarter panel front lower sheet metal section." Or something along that line when I went to see if such a piece was available. Come to find out that GoodMark makes one and my yard carries their line so it is now on order with a 2-3 week delivery date. Works for me as I am back in the rotation for two weeks of shifts starting on Monday.

As you can see, this one is done. When the new one arrives, it will be the template for what I need to cut away and, once that is done, I can get on with removing the rest of the rocker panel assembly and see what needs to be done to prep the site for the new pieces.

Had more fun today but the pics are to be found elsewhere.

Nick
Hey Nick, I have one.... maybe.

Which is to say, I absolutely cut a 12x12" chunk of a car off at this point running forwards to the lap seam with the rocker. Inner layer, outer layer, the works. Actually for both sides.

Now, that said, I'd need to see what sort of shape it's in because my better half left it outside when she helped finish unloading the small bits off the trailer for me after last February's swap meet. Something about treatment meds leaving me weakened blah blah blah.

She gets credit for what she did do.

But, I can get you some pictures of whatever shape it was in after having been rained on after hosing it off. Real GM metal though so probably better quality steel and thickness than the repop tin.

If its any good, the sale price would be a swap for those glow in the dark aurora borealis toonies, unless they're absolute unobtanium. If it helps that massive project you've been doing, that's good enough for me.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
"Glow in the Dark, Aurora Borealis Toonies????? CK80 now you got me, I have nothing on that variant> Porbably some kind of special edition collector's item ordered by the Canadian Mint for some reason. That type of item does not normallly see regular circulation as it would get damaged by being in contact with other change while in someone's pocket. The local vendor for that would be my Postal Plant and I do visit them from time to time to check on the PO Box so I can ask.

On the subject of those cut offs, I do purely hate to be saying this but it would be the getting them up here to me that would be a deal killer. Right now the cost of shipping and handling is beyond obscene. I look at E-BAY auctions, the price is 30.00 and the shipping is 130.00 and it all has to get converted from USD to CDN. Last time that happened my 30 dollar part ended up costing me over 200.00!

The second thing to consider is that they would have to come up by Purolater or Fedex. They would be too big for USPS to move, I think. Both those couriers would get them to my door BUT their cross border charges, including customs and Harmonized Sales Tax, (don't ask, it is a kind of federal tax/fee that they feds use to sweeten their cut of the action) is an even heavier bite than what Global Shipping is quoting.

The third point would be your money to you. Paypal has ceased the "friend to friend" payment option, too many users were trying to end run the transaction fee by claiming the recipient as a friend. What I have been doing is using USD money orders drawn on an American Bank located in New York. My Credit Union offers them and I have not had any negative feedback on them from the vendors with whom I used them.

The last thing about all this is that the panel in question has already been ordered. it is just the skin has I already have the rest of the guts of that pillar pre made or sitting in dump box somewhere from my scrounging days. I have used GoodMark before; my door skins are both from GoodMark and I have found them to offer a decent product that I can work with without too much grief or misery. The door skins were either 19ga or maybe even 18ga. Nice and straight right out of the box and EDP coated for basic protections. They fit the inner shell/skin almost exactly and needed no signficant slashing or bashing to adjust them. So.

THANK YOU for thinking of me and making the offer. it is appreciated. Just no apparent practical way to make it happen.

CopperNick sends

Reactions: ck80
"Glow in the Dark, Aurora Borealis Toonies????? CK80 now you got me, I have nothing on that variant> Porbably some kind of special edition collector's item ordered by the Canadian Mint for some reason. That type of item does not normallly see regular circulation as it would get damaged by being in contact with other change while in someone's pocket. The local vendor for that would be my Postal Plant and I do visit them from time to time to check on the PO Box so I can ask.

On the subject of those cut offs, I do purely hate to be saying this but it would be the getting them up here to me that would be a deal killer. Right now the cost of shipping and handling is beyond obscene. I look at E-BAY auctions, the price is 30.00 and the shipping is 130.00 and it all has to get converted from USD to CDN. Last time that happened my 30 dollar part ended up costing me over 200.00!

The second thing to consider is that they would have to come up by Purolater or Fedex. They would be too big for USPS to move, I think. Both those couriers would get them to my door BUT their cross border charges, including customs and Harmonized Sales Tax, (don't ask, it is a kind of federal tax/fee that they feds use to sweeten their cut of the action) is an even heavier bite than what Global Shipping is quoting.

The third point would be your money to you. Paypal has ceased the "friend to friend" payment option, too many users were trying to end run the transaction fee by claiming the recipient as a friend. What I have been doing is using USD money orders drawn on an American Bank located in New York. My Credit Union offers them and I have not had any negative feedback on them from the vendors with whom I used them.

The last thing about all this is that the panel in question has already been ordered. it is just the skin has I already have the rest of the guts of that pillar pre made or sitting in dump box somewhere from my scrounging days. I have used GoodMark before; my door skins are both from GoodMark and I have found them to offer a decent product that I can work with without too much grief or misery. The door skins were either 19ga or maybe even 18ga. Nice and straight right out of the box and EDP coated for basic protections. They fit the inner shell/skin almost exactly and needed no signficant slashing or bashing to adjust them. So.

THANK YOU for thinking of me and making the offer. it is appreciated. Just no apparent practical way to make it happen.

CopperNick sends
Down here we saw a news story about them, but, it made it sound like it was your version of our 50-state quarters thing the treasury here did some years back. Not surprised in the least that they would get it wrong, our media is pretty worthless in many ways these days.

No worries, really I was thinking they'd be nearly free except for one or two of what they made it sound like common coins. Turns out they're anything but.

I do hear you about the hassles though, and all the rest. Just didn't know how bad a backorder might be staring you down.

Thanks again for the consideration. Had a back order been dumped in my lap, Plan Z was to very, very, carefully cut away the old panel and see what could be done to reshape it using both heat and cold along with a couple of relief cuts to allow the dents to be pushed out to about where they ought to be. Yeah, a lot of work, but that's what projects are mostly about.

Nick

Reactions: Texas82GP
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor