What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of gasoline in the oil (Pictured), finally got around to changing the oil I also added Engine restore to that oil as well. Choke was stuck wide open while I fixed that problem awhile ago. Another springs up, I don't have Acceleration or Throttle response on the pedal, I've been fiddling with Choke Adjustment and Air/ Fuel mixture screws, I don't suspect other causes. View attachment 224244
Been fiddling around with the Choke Adjustment. I got some pedal response back but not much.

View attachment 224245
You can literally see the Gas coming out of the oil Pan.
do you know the reason for the gas in your oil?

Your engine is a 350, right?
If that’s a 1406, it needs tuned. My old Edelbrock ran pig rich all the time. Or you’ve got a leak, mine would drain the bowls overnight.
No it's a 305. I grabbed the cheapest Carb I could find from JEGS it's a Edelbrock 600CFM Carburetor with Electric Choke
. Carb Leak?. . . I'll look into it.

No it's a 305. I grabbed the cheapest Carb I could find from JEGS it's a Edelbrock 600CFM Carburetor with Electric Choke
. Carb Leak?. . . I'll look into it.
That shouldn’t be too much carb, it’s a bit large for a 305, sure, but I don’t see how that couldn’t be remedied with an Edelbrock tuning kit like this one:

Before all that though, go through the basics.
Check timing and make sure your fuel pressure isn’t above 5 psi on it. Install a regulator if need be.

Easy way to find a leak is to take the carb off and put it on a stand or bench vise, put a couple ounces of fuel in it and let it sit.
Now I’ll caution you, my carb was likely screwed up, as no carburetor should drain fuel out overnight with no airflow through it. So while I suspect it, it’s an unlikely culprit.

Go the tuning route first.

Today was clean out day for Bay One so my S-10 could come in for its much needed servicing but before all of that I dug into the passenger rocker panel on my 85 SS M/Carlo some more. To that end I elected to go with a cutting combination of my air cut off wheel and air saw. My Napa had some new brand of 3" cut off wheels for the air wheel that the counter geek swore by so picked up a 6 pack them for a test run.

In all fairness they did do a good job of slicing and dicing but also died fairly quickly in the process. Not much different in that respect from any other mini-wheel. Dug into the bottom of the A-Pillar just to see how bad things there are and it looks like I will have to dig out that donor pillar bottom that I had abstracted from an early 80's Grand AM more than a decade or two ago when it appeared in the discard bin in the yard. Bot of a shame to eviscerate it that way, the body was nice to a point but the frame was toast and no frame swaps available.

The quarter panel is still uncut at this point. As I noted in an earlier post, I am not going to do a biopsy on it until I have the replacement panel in hand. That way I can mark what I have versus what I need to cut to gain access. The door will have to get dismounted again in order to properly care of the pillar repairs. That A-pillar was patched a long, long, long time ago and I strongly suspect that Mickey Mouse and Eisenhower both had a hand in the quality? of the work. Not going to be too harsh, it goes back to a time where the parts weren't repopped and harvestable hulks were few and far between. A lot of the G-bodies ended up as the foundations for late model stock cars in that era and they got raced to death, then squashed.

Pictures?? maybe a pic or two once the dust settles.

Nick

Reactions: MalibuDavyou5
That shouldn’t be too much carb, it’s a bit large for a 305, sure, but I don’t see how that couldn’t be remedied with an Edelbrock tuning kit like this one:

Before all that though, go through the basics.
Check timing and make sure your fuel pressure isn’t above 5 psi on it. Install a regulator if need be.

Easy way to find a leak is to take the carb off and put it on a stand or bench vise, put a couple ounces of fuel in it and let it sit.
Now I’ll caution you, my carb was likely screwed up, as no carburetor should drain fuel out overnight with no airflow through it. So while I suspect it, it’s an unlikely culprit.

Go the tuning route first.
Cool! Thanks. I got the link save back for when I can afford to get it. Research leads me to Needle and Seat not closing the way it should, or Float levels are off. Either way I am not experience enough in Carburetors but I know someone who is, I'm going to give them a phone ring ASAP.

Reactions: Rktpwrd and UC645
Drove ten hours round trip to score an original hurst hood with the scoop. I already have an oem scoop I was planning on putting on my 87 442 factory hood but that doesn’t have any of the under braces that came on the 83-84. All n all definitely happy with it. From what I was told it was removed from the car shortly after purchase to install a hood with a taller scoop because of the mods. Done so this was just stored for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
Got some work done on my erector set. After a long search for a firewall plug to close up the hole for door wiring I turned up one but needed another. It took way too long to get here. So now the nose, less the hood and one inner fender well, is installed for good. Will be removing the front bumper to polish it up. I have new front and rear bumper fillers to get painted before i put it back on again. Still a lot left but picking away at it as much as possible.AB967DBD-C24E-42E1-A1E1-A8F4690D1F07.jpeg30AAC69E-21CE-4EAA-9D4D-2D7F9054ECE1.jpeg83AF8EE8-F5E8-4789-90EB-C4DF9CF9AB43.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor