What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s constantly in the 100s here in AZ now so I’m working on things that can be done inside the house with the AC on.

I swapped my dash bezel to an 85 SS version with the dark grey wood grain a while back. I found some vinyl that matches pretty well and tried my hand at wrapping the center console trim from my Impala console. Came out pretty good if I do say so myself. Color matches pretty close, close enough for me!
View attachment 223673

View attachment 223674

View attachment 223675

View attachment 223676
You’ll want to do something with that chrome ring that goes on the console around the shifter. It reflects the sunlight into your eyes. Maybe some window tint or something like that on it.

You’ll want to do something with that chrome ring that goes on the console around the shifter. It reflects the sunlight into your eyes. Maybe some window tint or something like that on it.
I painted that chrome ring black for that exact reason. Check out the last picture in the post

I actually got out there and pulled out all the 20th Anniversary H/O badges and decals to go through what I had from 13 years ago when we first put the car together. I need placement info so I posted this thread:

Need to get these on and finish some other details to be able to take it to shows and not have excuses as to why it still ain't done 🤣

I actually got out there and pulled out all the 20th Anniversary H/O badges and decals to go through what I had from 13 years ago when we first put the car together. I need placement info so I posted this thread:

Need to get these on and finish some other details to be able to take it to shows and not have excuses as to why it still ain't done 🤣
Before the decal install, I wonder what/if it would be possible to have completely correct duplicates made up for in case anything ever happened requiring repaint work.

Before the decal install, I wonder what/if it would be possible to have completely correct duplicates made up for in case anything ever happened requiring repaint work.
If you look at my 3rd pic in that thread, you'll see that I dup'ed the 20th Anniversary to have a spare. That will be the only decal on the car. The stripes are painted on. Notice the original decal is black. Since my car has a black decklid, I had to have duplicates made anyway. So I had them make two just in case...

ck80, as to your Buick 350 search, not sure where you are at in the US but, at this point, would it not be simpler to just find a whole car that is about one step away from rustical suicide and salvage that 350 and everything else you can use; then off the hulk to the crushers? Nieghbor of mine used to spend regular time cruising the back lanes just to see what could be found. Amzing what people hung onto.

Nick

ck80, as to your Buick 350 search, not sure where you are at in the US but, at this point, would it not be simpler to just find a whole car that is about one step away from rustical suicide and salvage that 350 and everything else you can use; then off the hulk to the crushers? Nieghbor of mine used to spend regular time cruising the back lanes just to see what could be found. Amzing what people hung onto.

Nick
Being outside the rust belt is both blessing, and curse.

We lose out on the drivetrain donors because people consider everything "restorable' and it gets worse because we have a large dose of the population that likes to throw big rims on everything, and, they like even the ugliest 4 doors of the era. A running, possible tired out, 350 isn't worth dropping $3k or $4k on a shell to get and then spend more on.

Used to be like you said up in new england though. We had no trouble scrounging up interesting bits. One time there was an old impala, sitting on a car trailer, grown under a bunch of grape vines. The old bias plys were 4 inches in the dirt on the trailer. Eventually the guy said yes to selling it, and said, take the trailer too, all for a couple hundred bucks.

I've have seen dummies that already pulled out shiny looking 350s out of say, a GS they're doing a ls swap on and selling the original engine, but, then you haven't seen it run or tested out compression on it. And most of the time they don't want to let you, as if you're going to break something.

I'd be nice to find one BEFORE they pull the engine.

Okay, then what about the Repo Raiders? Gotta be at least one Snatch and Grab yard in your vicinity. They grab victims for the insurance agents and banks and bail bondsmen, maybe they have something that has been on the lot too long and could be had for the cost of storage, or a negotiated sum. They also tend to know where the private yards are; the ones out in the tullies or in one of the rural areas that are not necessarily still in business but still happen to have "thing's hanging around that might fit your needs.

I'd also suggest West Texas or Arizona. There are some serious yards out that way with acres of cars slowing losing their paint in the hot dry sun.

Nick

There was a lot of gasoline in the oil (Pictured), finally got around to changing the oil I also added Engine restore to that oil as well. Choke was stuck wide open while I fixed that problem awhile ago. Another springs up, I don't have Acceleration or Throttle response on the pedal, I've been fiddling with Choke Adjustment and Air/ Fuel mixture screws, I don't suspect other causes.
IMG_20230710_175701805[1].jpg

Been fiddling around with the Choke Adjustment. I got some pedal response back but not much.

IMG_20230710_175714156[1].jpg

You can literally see the Gas coming out of the oil Pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor