What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is unfortunate...

20230815_135746.jpg
20230815_135753.jpg
20230815_135730.jpg

Looks like my whole passenger corner of my core support has broken away from the the rest of itself.

Guess I need to start hunting for a new one.

Yup. The passenger side of the cradle is where the neck for the rad is also located and spillover and general moisture and crud can easily combine to create tinworm-itis. Lost the original cradle out of my 85 that same way. The one in it now is from my 78 Monte and was a plug in that I scored from a 78 Cutlass cause the 78 Monte had suffered the same destruction.

DSCN3865.JPG

DSCN3866.JPG

DSCN3867.JPG

Managed to worm my way over to the south wall and locate the tote box that I had used to stash the two lower A Pillar sections that I had paid to have cut out of a 81? Grand AM that had been brought to the yard. For all those who are wondering why, The car had issues and the owner, who I happened to know casually, was disinclined to shell out to make the repairs. He drove it until it died and then junked it. I immediately recognized it when it hit the line but had no personal interest in it because, at the time, retro parts and sheet metal to rebuild them just did not exist. (Mostly still doesn't) I did know that, absent any interest in it and being over the 5 year limit, it was going to have a very short shelf life and a quick trip to the crusher so I arranged to have the yardman warm up his hot red wrench and clip both the lower A Pillar sections, including the mounting structure for the lower door hinges, out.

The driver's side has already been dissected and used to repair and replace the lower A Pillar on My 85 Monte. The original one was terminal.

The passenger's side on the same car did receive some repairs many years ago but they were done using my Lincoln Mig Unit and flux core; shade tree body work in it's truest form. Not faulting the Lincoln, If I had had the money back then it would have received the gas kit. Thing with gas is that it is worthless out in the fresh air, dissipates too quickly, and i did not have the shop then that I do now. So time to revisit the work and do it better.

The next step is to clean off the flanges and identifty the various spot welds. They will get drilled out and the layers of panels separated, giving me the panel sections that i need, The rest will go back in the tote box; waste not, want not.

Nick

Reactions: joesregalproject
Test fitted the old tank with the modified sending unit in this afternoon- won’t fit without 3/8 of rubber on top of the tank to shim it downwards.
5082A5DD-EF87-4F46-9930-95DF6C673A2C.jpeg

It’s entirely far too tall.
But I’ve already modified my only sending unit to fit this, so I gently massaged the trunk floor where the fitting was contacting it to get just enough clearance so I could shim the tank with some 1/4 rubber and make it mint.

I didn’t call it Janky for show…

For some A Body content, I started stripping the trunk jamb and rear fascia to bare metal. The lip around the trunk is a PITA to access, so some spot blasting may be necessary. Seems to be a recurring theme. I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up some more M12 batteries tomorrow for more run time on the Milwaukee die grinder.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor