What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Went out and met a buddy and his wife at a showing, ended up being very productive. Took him for a ride to hear what I still think is a small exhaust leak and it falling on its face in the mid range. He did some research and figured out that it is actually the coil failing, before that research we discussed changing out the plugs due to possibly being fouled. This would answer a lot of the weird stuff I was having, when I pulled the wire off the coil last night oil came spraying out so had Atech warranty it out this morning and got another brand so I can put it in the car tonight and take it out while having the other as a backup.
20240523_172122.jpg
20240523_190612.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Went out and met a buddy and his wife at a showing, ended up being very productive. Took him for a ride to hear what I still think is a small exhaust leak and it falling on its face in the mid range. He did some research and figured out that it is actually the coil failing, before that research we discussed changing out the plugs due to possibly being fouled. This would answer a lot of the weird stuff I was having, when I pulled the wire off the coil last night oil came spraying out so had Atech warranty it out this morning and got another brand so I can put it in the car tonight and take it out while having the other as a backup.
View attachment 239865 View attachment 239866
Do I spy a light blue '71 Monte in front of your car across the parking lot in the first pic?

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Doorman power steering cooler... car was making a Ford-like noise while accelerating through a turn (turn at stop sign or parking lot maneuver) ONLY when hot (10+ miles). Made fancy bar stock adapter/bracket to avoid drilling holes in core support.

I figured it couldn't hurt dropping the power steering temperature. LS1/4L60e '84 Monte.
20240525_114114.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Barfed all over the dash..
IMG_5984.jpeg
IMG_5985.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Popped the trunk lid all the way open to see if the upper rad mounting brackets had been stashed in there; they weren't but I did find the other side panel to the air induction duct for the radiator. I had drilled out the rivets, probably before Covid, because the first trial fit of the front end parts exposed me to the fact that the front end had been shunted at some time by a previous owner. Most of the misalignment was tweakable but the duct had taken the brunt of the push and the one end panel was badly deformed. Drilling the rivets was the easiest way to abstract it from the assembly so it could be hammered and heat shrunk back into some semblance of originality. At this point it is about as straight as I need it to be. I could go at it for another eight or so hours in OCD mode just to chase some of most minimal of the dimples and beat on them but the overriding priority here is that this is an assembly that, once installed and with the nose covering it, will never be seen again. Most of what has been accomplished by means of hammer and heat is just to get the panel to properly line up with the mounting tabs on the rad cradle. if the duct now goes into position and sits as it ought with only a minor amount of "persuasion" to encourage it to be where it has to be, well, that works for me.

Next item on its to do list is for it to receive a replacement coat of flat black Krylon Anti-Rust. Again, not about pretty, about preservation.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't do a whole lot this weekend, which I'm still annoyed about. Time and money elude me as of late.

Mocked up the balance line while kinking the **** out of it. So it's a mockup line now.

And the other holes

practice

20240527_194157.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Barfed all over the dash..
What is this product? Long-fiber bondo? Let us see what it looks like in the end, if satisfactory.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If that bending tool that is sitting on the long leg of what might be an engine puller in the picture is your weapon of choice for bending tube then yeah, kinks and flattened tube diameter can be a consequence. I have one of that style of my own and tend to leave it in the kit box that I have assembled over the years for doing bending and shaping of various diameters of tube. The bender of choice for me is a type of lever armed pliers that uses a fixed and a floating arm with a degree of angle inscribed on the edge to keep track of the amount of curve that has been created.

As an alternative, if the tube is light enough, I may even resort to using human generated leverage and a Mark 1 eyeball to guesstimate the amount of curve and how much radius to employ to get something that looks reasonably professional when done. Only thing with the hand bomb approach is that it can be difficult to achieve a very tight radius it one is necessary.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
What is this product? Long-fiber bondo? Let us see what it looks like in the end, if satisfactory.
Short Strand Bondo fiber.
On the parts I did a year ago it’s held on well.
My only issue and it could be the Florida humidity, is the the working time is short and it stays gummy for a long time. I put it on yesterday around 1-2pm and it’s still gummy this morning.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor