What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

Working on the front bumper filler, it was worn through in two spots because the grills / header panel rubbed through it when the radiator support bushings wore out. It’s beat but I’ve had no luck finding a better one and the fiberglass reproduction I bought doesn’t fit worth a darn so reusing the original is the way it is.

I used JB Weld clear two part epoxy adhesive to attach a 1/16” x 1/2” inch aluminum angle to the backside to rigid things up so it won’t flex and crack the filler on the outer painted side. I used JB Weld again on the outside to fill the holes and will sand that tomorrow and see what it looks like. Probably used regular body filler to skim it, or maybe fiberglass filler?

View attachment 245398View attachment 245399View attachment 245400
Too bad your not closer. I have a 1985 Cutlass front clip in amazing condition up in my garage shelving. It would cost a crap ton to ship though across country.

Do you think that the JB weld, once cured, will allow that panel to flex if it has to or will it become too rigid and stiff to offer some give and take if necessary?

Nick

Reactions: RICKDIZZLE
Do you think that the JB weld, once cured, will allow that panel to flex if it has to or will it become too rigid and stiff to offer some give and take if necessary?

Nick
I have no idea, I am in no way an engineer, just trying to salvage what I have. The last front filler panel I found in a wrecker just fell apart when I touched it from years out in the weather. Mine has been stored inside with the car and is as flexible as it ever has been. I am working on it while attached to the backing frame so it is more stable. Going to sand the grey JB Weld on the outside today and see how bad it looks. May have to build it up a little more with the grey and just skim with filler to smooth it out. I doubt it'll be perfect but hoping it'll be acceptable.

Finally got the wheels back, got them on and was able to delete the wheel spacers with this different offset. Also forgot the air ride sensor was broken, so luckily a buddy came over and modified the one I had to work again. Now I have a weird rotational noise when driving, I first thought it might be a bad wheel bearing. My buddy was thinking it probably needs a small spacer, but when I had trouble sleeping last night I came up with it very well may be the lug nuts. When we put the big spacer on to clear the huge calipers we put longer wheel studs in, I am thinking it may be bottoming out on the covers for them. Gonna look into that maybe tonight, also realized the wheels will need pulled again when winter hits so the powder guy can redo them. His guys didn't really prep the wheels before they did them, so all the old weight adhesive is still under the new powder
20240906_172117.jpg
20240906_174440.jpg
20240906_180911.jpg

The wheels look good. You do know they're teal, right?
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

From a distance, my buddys wife said the same and my buddy was cracking up. And then shes like no no, I mean he was saying how they weren't right but they look good from a distance 🤣

Reactions: RICKDIZZLE
Finally got the wheels back...... also realized the wheels will need pulled again when winter hits so the powder guy can redo them. His guys didn't really prep the wheels before they did them, so all the old weight adhesive is still under the new powder
I'm glad you got them back but his repeated substandard quality is bothering me- from my perspective he needs much improvement. I apologize if he's a friend of yours but I had to say it.

I believe I mentioned it before- if you ever want them redone (again) please send me the wheels and I'll do the powder coat for free- you just pay shipping and provide the color. My employer will provide the best equipment in a 5 state area, and I'll provide a dedication to putting out gorgeous parts free from rust, scale, residue, and other defects. I can even put clear on top of them too and would be thrilled to have my work on a member's ride.

These went on the owner's '57 Chevy.

IMG_20231230_175117576.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor