What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put roofing underlayment on. Nearly worked myself to death.
IMG_20190323_175236206.jpg
IMG_20190323_175137788.jpg

Random pics of the Boise front. Whole valley was cloudy but the mountains had sun on them.
IMG_20190322_191738853_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190322_191718738.jpg

Today was pinewood derby day. Teched in last night, and the wife's scale was off a little- 5oz on the nose. Ducky was running 4.22-4.25, and the ice cream was in the low 3.9s which took overall 2nd. We were clearly at an aerodynamic disadvantage with a big rubber duck and tail reeds as both cars were identical weight with same axle prep. Not a bad first outing, though.

I hosted a Pinewood Derby build party for my daughter's Girl Scout troop.
View attachment 109240
I polished the wheels and axles, then soaked the axles in a polyolefin juice
View attachment 109241
She made a rubber duckie car
View attachment 109242
I got it to 4.97oz. The scale was a little wonky, so I didn't want to push the 5oz limit too far.
View attachment 109243
View attachment 109244

That's awesome! Tatiana and I are building something very similar out of recycled materials for her school project. Got her working with all kinds of tools (files, saws, ratchet, etc) - here she is tapping a hole for an axle.

20190330_160634.jpg
20190330_160640.jpg

She was so into it she wouldn't let me break for dinner. Told her the glue had to dry before she gave in.

Installed the 4" lift on the mighty 80 K10. It looks more like 6" between the new springs settling a bit and the fact that the 40 year old springs on it were wasted. The fronts did not come willingly, all the bolts were frozen in the bushings. Somebody replaced the rear springs at some point with junkyard ones, (there was paint pen markings on them) and mercifully never seized the bolts. Now to get rid of the mismatched Baldini tires.....
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

Today was pinewood derby day. Teched in last night, and the wife's scale was off a little- 5oz on the nose. Ducky was running 4.22-4.25, and the ice cream was in the low 3.9s which took overall 2nd. We were clearly at an aerodynamic disadvantage with a big rubber duck and tail reeds as both cars were identical weight with same axle prep. Not a bad first outing, though.

Cool! I miss those days. We were only in scouts for two years but really tried to leave our marks on the Pinewood Derby. We never cared about speed. Instead we went after the creative design awards.

The first year we built this Ford Effie truck. We used the wood block for the chassis and the cab, but retrofitted the fenders, doors, bed, hood and bumpers from a Revell plastic model kit. Then we based the details off my Father In Laws Farm Fresh Patina'd '54 F250.

Truck1.JPG

Truck 2.JPG
IMG_1509 resized.jpg

It was really difficult to make the plastic body parts fir the overall allowable dimensions fo the racer, while still looking in correct proportions. It easily won the best design award. It was displayed with pictures fo the real truck to show why the paint job looked like it did.

The following year required us to try and up the ante. But the added hurdle was that my younger son was now in scouts and we had to build TWO cars while still trying to outdo the truck.

We built this old school jalopy modified stock car racer using plumbers solder as the the rub rails and rear bumper and exhaust pipes. The "engine" is the y-block from the Effie model truck kit used the previous year. It was actually pretty fast and won the best NASCAR inspired award.

IMG_2047 resized 2.JPG

IMG_2049 resized.jpg

Then came our swansong. Knowing we were going to pull out all the stops on this one, we actually started on it two months before the kits were distributed. It required two kits to build. Due to the weight of the double wheels, double axles and the hardware to hold the two halves together, the bodies had to get shaved so thin, they were practically balsa wood. It blew the judges away and won the design award that year. It was the second slowest fo the entire derby, but we didn't care. It was actually faster with one car in front vs. the other. Weird.

IMG_2044 resized.jpg

IMG_2045 resized.jpg

I'm hoping this will get me started back into working on the GTO once I got the Monte finished up, got a good deal from a coupon on the tool cart. But as they say you get what you pay for, had to go back and get a new bottom drawer since it was broken in the box, then got it all together and go to put the sliding drawer on to then see it has almost like a rust spot on it. So got to head back today to exchange it then finally have it together.
20190323_180610.jpg

Changed the wife's oil tonight. Catch can seems to be working.

For the intellectually sophisticated:
20190401_174757.jpg

For the drooling inbred savages:
20190401_174746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor