What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My newly acquired Cub Cadet had a leaky valve cover gasket which I discovered is a common issue on the Kohler engine. Snagged one at a place by work, and knocked it out when I got home. I put a bead of RTV on both sides so hopefully it'll hold longer and not drip hot oil onto the muffler.
20190520_194408.jpg
20190520_204058.jpg

My newly acquired Cub Cadet had a leaky valve cover gasket which I discovered is a common issue on the Kohler engine. Snagged one at a place by work, and knocked it out when I got home. I put a bead of RTV on both sides so hopefully it'll hold longer and not drip hot oil onto the muffler.View attachment 114041View attachment 114042

Uh oh, a Kohler Courage... The bane of any small engine mechanic's existence. I believe Kohler redesigned the blocks to remedy the cracking issues but I'm not sure when they did that. They are also known for wiping cams. And known for the valve cover gasket leak that you found out about. Keep and eye on the oil level and keep the cooling fins clean and you should be just fine. If not, Harbor Freight has a Predator engine that drops right in place for a couple hundred bucks.

Otherwise great mower. That one has the cast iron front axle and probably a hydro gear transaxle which are very reliable. Much better than the Tuff Torq axles that came in John Deeres of the same vintage. It should also have the older style bearings in the deck which are way better and use real, made in USA Timken bearings. The new ones use Chinese bearings and they aren't serviceable.

Uh oh, a Kohler Courage... The bane of any small engine mechanic's existence. I believe Kohler redesigned the blocks to remedy the cracking issues but I'm not sure when they did that. They are also known for wiping cams. And known for the valve cover gasket leak that you found out about. Keep and eye on the oil level and keep the cooling fins clean and you should be just fine. If not, Harbor Freight has a Predator engine that drops right in place for a couple hundred bucks.

Otherwise great mower. That one has the cast iron front axle and probably a hydro gear transaxle which are very reliable. Much better than the Tuff Torq axles that came in John Deeres of the same vintage. It should also have the older style bearings in the deck which are way better and use real, made in USA Timken bearings. The new ones use Chinese bearings and they aren't serviceable.
Joe, funny you mention checking the oil often. It has a sticker on the engine cover that says to check oil before each use lol! I'll keep the Predator engine swap in mind...I already told the wife I was gonna swap it lol!
I didn't pay a whole lot for the mower, it's been a good mower for the previous owner so hopefully it'll live awhile longer.

Is that what this is?
IMG_20190330_133809302.jpg

Because I'm hoping this Kohler lasts forever

Reactions: TURNA
Dug a hole in the back yard for the old boy as he makes his last trip to the vet tomorrow, a bad ear infection has gotten the best of him. 😢
Then had to fill a hole that a unknown "helpful" inlaw dug in a spot I gotta dig up later to run new drian pipes for the driveway & gutters. 😡

Had to reseal the pipe fittings on my pool filter. Never use sealing tape on pipe fittings, use pipe dope.

• Agree
Reactions: pontiacgp
Joe, funny you mention checking the oil often. It has a sticker on the engine cover that says to check oil before each use lol! I'll keep the Predator engine swap in mind...I already told the wife I was gonna swap it lol!
I didn't pay a whole lot for the mower, it's been a good mower for the previous owner so hopefully it'll live awhile longer.

Even with the Courage engine, that is still a better built machine than anything you could buy new at Home Depot or Lowe's. The Courage engine isn't as bad as it's reputation. I think what happens most of the time is people don't notice the leaky valve cover nor check the oil, and then the oil all leaks out the valve cover gasket until the engine is running dry, which is when stuff starts to break. You've taken care of the valve cover gasket so you're probably going to be just fine. The chassis's of those mowers are rock solid and were pretty much all the same from the late 90s to somewhere around 2014-ish so parts are easy to find.

Is that what this is?View attachment 114050
Because I'm hoping this Kohler lasts forever

Nope, that's a Kohler Command. Probably the best engine Kohler ever made. Take half decent care of it and it probably will last forever.

I'm going to avoid my welding gas rant on how all the argon tanks are the same but all the companies are snobs and its a conspiracy and limit you to using only their tanks and how the people with the tank you have never are open or have any C25 in stock, but thats a rant for a different day.

Broke out the arc welding stuff and some 6011 rods to finish the trailer off. I'm not pipeliner and glad we don't weld like its 1955 anymore.....

Broke out the palm sander and knocked the surface rust and scale off, going to prime it tonight and paint thursday I hope. Should have a complete trailer by Friday I hope!

1558529182243.png

1558529194259.png

I'm going to avoid my welding gas rant on how all the argon tanks are the same but all the companies are snobs and its a conspiracy and limit you to using only their tanks and how the people with the tank you have never are open or have any C25 in stock, but thats a rant for a different day.

Broke out the arc welding stuff and some 6011 rods to finish the trailer off. I'm not pipeliner and glad we don't weld like its 1955 anymore.....

Broke out the palm sander and knocked the surface rust and scale off, going to prime it tonight and paint thursday I hope. Should have a complete trailer by Friday I hope!

View attachment 114213
View attachment 114214
Oh how I can relate to that!

Blew another 3/4 quart of primer on and bought another $140 of paint supplies after work. This trailer is going to be more expensive than buying one by the time I'm done.

Paint goes on tomorrow! Then Friday the deck boards I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_210122.jpg
    IMG_20190522_210122.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor