What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Both those rods are lean, compared to what I use. Almost every carb from the late 70's I took apart had CV secondary rods and mid alphabet hangers. I tried using a rod similar to the DP on a 307, actually pinged very badly. How is the primary side setup?
i dont have an afr gauge on it, burns to much oil to waste an o2 sensor, but it wont gas you out at idle. and by fatter rods i meant thicker, leaner rods. the rods i put in were the leanest of all the ones in my stash, and that hangar was the "tallest" keeping the rods in longer.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Then, were it me, I would be looking for a post 72 454, mostly because they got cursed with lowered compression which makes them "interesting" when the concept of Turbo is included in the equation.

Of course there is always the LS Option but, strictly as a wolf in sheep's clothing, nothing beats a stroker small block with the turbo stashed down range in the exhaust system instead of being out in the open. Great for the coffee show and shine. Wander in slow and easy, pop the hood, fail to impress the crowd and, come time to go, blow their minds by coming on to it as you leave the parking lot. HEE, HEE, HEE, HEE!!!!

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
i dont have an afr gauge on it, burns to much oil to waste an o2 sensor, but it wont gas you out at idle. and by fatter rods i meant thicker, leaner rods. the rods i put in were the leanest of all the ones in my stash, and that hangar was the "tallest" keeping the rods in longer.
Just surprised such lean rods are needed on the secondary for a 390 V8, unless the primary side is very rich.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just surprised such lean rods are needed on the secondary for a 390 V8, unless the primary side is very rich.
before it would look like it was rolling coal essentially. thats how rich it was. im not gonna mess with it further. my new 390 came with a D5TE stamped holley so ill try that on the truck and see how it performs.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
before it would look like it was rolling coal essentially. thats how rich it was. im not gonna mess with it further. my new 390 came with a D5TE stamped holley so ill try that on the truck and see how it performs.
Pretty much every Ford pre EFI, with a couple of exceptions were horrid on fuel. The factory Holley were no different, the worst actually. What kind of mileage were you getting out of this pig?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Pretty much every Ford pre EFI, with a couple of exceptions were horrid on fuel. The factory Holley were no different, the worst actually. What kind of mileage were you getting out of this pig?
the speedo is 5mph off, so my guess figures anywhere from 6-9. i drove from stuart iowa to omaha and halfway back with a full 19 gallon tank before needing fuel after i swapped to the leaner rods and longer hanger. and thats pretty much at 2800-3k the whole way there and back, 75-80 mph. the 3.07s help a lot.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
the speedo is 5mph off, so my guess figures anywhere from 6-9. i drove from stuart iowa to omaha and halfway back with a full 19 gallon tank before needing fuel after i swapped to the leaner rods and longer hanger. and thats pretty much at 2800-3k the whole way there and back, 75-80 mph. the 3.07s help a lot.
Sounds like typical Ford truck mileage. Other than our main highway 75 mph is about the safe max, 80 mph isn't a thing here, unless you want a ticket.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Something to keep in mind is.... as far as I know FE engines did not come factory with hardened valve seats. So you are not really supposed to run unleaded fuel with out an additive. I had my 390 machined for them. If you need any engine parts? I have all kinds of parts.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Something to keep in mind is.... as far as I know FE engines did not come factory with hardened valve seats. So you are not really supposed to run unleaded fuel with out an additive. I had my 390 machined for them. If you need any engine parts? I have all kinds of parts.
its a 76, should it not have hardened seats from the factory? i dont need any parts that i know of... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor