What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to an undisclosed location yesterday to help a friend get a 48 chevy pickup running. Nice truck all painted up and partially assembled. Unfortunately the small journal small block was seized. It was evidence of it having had moisture in the intake manifold so I loaded it up with pb blaster and told him he's already at worst case scenario. I met the landlord there and hit it off with him immediately he showed me around and I got to see all his projects he's got quite an imagination and very good fabricating skills! He's got a late model of Volkswagen bug convertible that he's turning into a 48 Lincoln zephyr on a late model Lincoln frame some custom pickups under construction a really neat stock car looking rat rod built from a mid-thirties something? And as it turns out he's responsible for those kits that turn a cougar into a 50s Ford and the kids that turn Camaros into 57 Chevys. Not my bag but still pretty neat.

Used the G-10 as a coat rack and the tour pack on my shovel as a temporary depository for a couple of M/Carlo service books. And no, I don't live in Dallas. Tx.

Reactions: fleming442
Got some slab wood from the Amish sawmill nearby and got it cut up. After picking up and putting down the chainsaw about 500 times to move wood around, I decided something electric might be easier and a lot faster to boot.

Since it is slab wood, it is all precut down to 4 inches thick and I figured that a big enough electric saw would be able to do the same thing a chainsaw could do. I ended up getting a 15" sliding compound miter saw that absolutely screams through that stuff. Probably wouldn't work at on all on regular logs, but slab wood is dirt cheap so I will be using it for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot_20210124_173103_com.android.chrome.jpgIMG_20210124_171935.jpg

I got my '57 front clip bolted back on. Hoses on. Coolant in. Transmission cooler installed. Trans fluid in. Oil in. Starter hooked up. Exhaust 100% done. Axles with be delivered tomorrow and installed after work.

I have a rust free hood coming from Bakersfield, CA via Greyhound in a couple of weeks. My hood has all of the front reinforcement missing from being rusted out and it is cracking everywhere. I'm afraid of it coming loose now that it will go faster than 70mph.

It will be fire-in-the-hole this week and driving immediately since everything else is complete................hoodless of course.

BTW, the pic doesn't show all of the progress. My fingers were so cold by the time I got done I couldn't operate the iPhone screen to take new pics.
engine bay.jpg

Got some slab wood from the Amish sawmill nearby and got it cut up. After picking up and putting down the chainsaw about 500 times to move wood around, I decided something electric might be easier and a lot faster to boot.

Since it is slab wood, it is all precut down to 4 inches thick and I figured that a big enough electric saw would be able to do the same thing a chainsaw could do. I ended up getting a 15" sliding compound miter saw that absolutely screams through that stuff. Probably wouldn't work at on all on regular logs, but slab wood is dirt cheap so I will be using it for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 167261View attachment 167260

Damn, a 15" is a beast of a miter saw! I used my uncle's Delta compound 12" miter saw this summer and loved it. Way better than the laser indicator my HPT has and I never realized how useful the compound part was until the first time I used it and IMMEDIATELY regretted not pulling the trigger on that a couple months prior myself.

Damn, a 15" is a beast of a miter saw! I used my uncle's Delta compound 12" miter saw this summer and loved it. Way better than the laser indicator my HPT has and I never realized how useful the compound part was until the first time I used it and IMMEDIATELY regretted not pulling the trigger on that a couple months prior myself.
I honestly should have bought it a while ago, as it would have made redoing my deck a whole lot easier.

Did a few quick tasks on the car this weekend, before I left the shop for the weekend I got my LED emblems and am amazed how many variations it will do

Then over the weekend went looking for the spare chevy emblem I had to see how it would fit with the LED, which it won't so on to the next idea. But while I was out there when I ordered all the LED's for the Blazer I got some to replace the turn and reverse in the GTO. Testing them before taking them out they didn't look that bad to me, but they are a lot brighter now. Then while I was putting it into reverse I noticed how dried out the leather was feeling so finally put some conditioner on it. And know that I am going to have to mess with the linkage because it was a chore to get it into reverse
Before:
20210123_144801.jpg
20210123_135419(0).jpg
20210123_135538.jpg

After:
20210123_145242.jpg
20210123_141037.jpg
20210123_140938.jpg

A Delta 15 amp running a 12 inch wheel, uh-huh. Followed the link and have a Menards in the region but no price suggested for this beast. If it doesn't violate any trade secrets, how much $$$ did you shell out for the beast?

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor