What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threw some new china tires on the half-million mile rig. It was the wife’s bday and we wanted from time away from the kids.
Took her out to the Cabin. It’s great to have a full night of sleep without being woken 8 times by one of 4 kids. :LOL:

59DDF9DC-5D79-4786-AC55-2C68E320669D.jpeg
F25D76A6-1C33-40F3-9FC8-0F9AB9AB0D76.jpeg
B812FC96-67E1-4D63-AFDE-E3191DA722E1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Nice view! Would suppose that, come spring and all, it mostly turns quite green and attractive, unless this is in the west somewhere in which case this is about as green as it gets unless it rains; a lot.

New topic:

During the exhaust pipe work that I did on my S-10 this past summer, one of the "while you're there additions that got done was the replacment of all the O-2 sensors. The residents were pretty badly fouled with soot although the computer still did seem to be getting clean signals from them.

Q to the forum is this, Can they be cleaned and put back into service?? What would be the best way to do it if it can be done?? Wet or dry??

FYI on this is that I already did try to clean one using CFC brake cleaner and low pressure air and that did remove the carbo-crud but is there as different or better method for this. Not sure here if even CFC free cleaner is safe around hot exhaust fumes.

Nick

Nice view! Would suppose that, come spring and all, it mostly turns quite green and attractive, unless this is in the west somewhere in which case this is about as green as it gets unless it rains; a lot.

New topic:

During the exhaust pipe work that I did on my S-10 this past summer, one of the "while you're there additions that got done was the replacment of all the O-2 sensors. The residents were pretty badly fouled with soot although the computer still did seem to be getting clean signals from them.

Q to the forum is this, Can they be cleaned and put back into service?? What would be the best way to do it if it can be done?? Wet or dry??

FYI on this is that I already did try to clean one using CFC brake cleaner and low pressure air and that did remove the carbo-crud but is there as different or better method for this. Not sure here if even CFC free cleaner is safe around hot exhaust fumes.

Nick

If they were covered in soot, the motor wasn't running clean. They don't have to throw a code to be junk either. If they're still good and you put them in a clean running motor, I would think they'd clean themselves. What was the reason you replaced them anyway?

We-ell, one came out of the corpse of the one head pipe for which I had had to fab a whole new one, so elected to go new with the sensor to match the new bung and the pipe I had put together. About the same story for the crossover, new section of pipe so new bung and new matching sensor. Probably could have gone with the existing components but have had issues with O-2 sensors throwing ghost codes in the past so the coin toss came down on the side of being safe and plugging in fresh parts for peace of mind on the whole matter. As for the soot, that motor gets a lot of stop and go and idle time so not much chance to run the highway and burn off the black nasties. it is also only a 5-10 minute commute from home to work so the motor barely gets to operating temperature before it gets shut off again. Just life in the slow lane.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Threw some new china tires on the half-million mile rig. It was the wife’s bday and we wanted from time away from the kids.
Took her out to the Cabin. It’s great to have a full night of sleep without being woken 8 times by one of 4 kids. :LOL:
I'd say the same thing about getting a full nights sleep without being woken 4-6 times by my wife's snoring. Can I borrow your cabin to get a full nights sleep?

I am Slovac so Eastern European food is what we grew up on. Similar to German, much is the same. I found me a Hungarian wife that made all the same Hunky food that I love. The Pittsburgh guys know of what I speak!

And you don't have to be a Hunky to enjoy it.
Hungry Americas Funniest Home Videos GIF

Reactions: 1 user
We-ell, one came out of the corpse of the one head pipe for which I had had to fab a whole new one, so elected to go new with the sensor to match the new bung and the pipe I had put together. About the same story for the crossover, new section of pipe so new bung and new matching sensor. Probably could have gone with the existing components but have had issues with O-2 sensors throwing ghost codes in the past so the coin toss came down on the side of being safe and plugging in fresh parts for peace of mind on the whole matter. As for the soot, that motor gets a lot of stop and go and idle time so not much chance to run the highway and burn off the black nasties. it is also only a 5-10 minute commute from home to work so the motor barely gets to operating temperature before it gets shut off again. Just life in the slow lane.

Nick
I would still perform checks for upstream exhaust leaks.

Nick

What do your fuel trims look like?

joe, I'd have to say they are whatever came stock with the vehicle. My S-10 is my daily driver and I have not messed or tweaked the mill much beyond plugging in a fresh set of E-3s, changing out the wires to Taylors, adding an Accel coil and fresh guts to the timer. Most of what I have just described is coming up for service again this spring. The back story on this truck is that it was a case of me needing a ride to replace the Monte so it could come off the road for a gut rehab. The S-10 was parked in a used car lot along one of the routes I used for my daily walking exercise and it looked in decent shape and the price was reasonable so I pulled the trigger on it. That was over a decade ago and it has been a good and faithful servant, for which endeavour to repay it by repairing and replacing its hurts as they happen. The exhaust system, however, was not stock when I bought it. Some unknown wanna be genius had come up with the idea of adding true duals in place of the stock Y pipe; great idea, bad execution, I have had to dive into it and rework it a couple of times to get it to look more professional looking and finished. Which is why I had to fabricate a totally new head pipe for the one bank this summer. No one makes them, so I do. This version may provide better O-2 sensor readings because I was able to relocate the bung from where the previous builder had stuck it to a more appropriate location slightly down stream and in a calmer flow location. Biggest issue with custom head pipes is finding that kind of location and being able to properly clock the bung so it can be accessed to service the sensors but still be at the correct angle so that moisture or condensation in the pipe don't cause damage. I don't do this S*** for a living, just as a matter of necessity.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor