What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will also never by choice own a new vehicle, with a payment plan.

Yeah I used to think like that too. Eventually old rust buckets lose their glamor when you're depending on them to get you to work reliably. When I wake up for work at 4am on a Monday morning and it's snowing, I just want to get in, turn the key and go.

Eventually the day will come when you do the math on how many rust buckets went through the revolving door of ownership in 5 years, how much you spend in total on purchase/tag/title/tax/repairs.

Then you get a real job, wife, have a kid. Need to make sure to get somewhere on time every time and people rely on you - not you relying on them for a place to live or a ride when you don't have a car.

Then a new car that just works, all you do is fluids maintenance, and maybe brakes every 5-10years... sounds good.

Working on a car because you can, and not because you NEED to works better with time demands in your life, and, your ability to get some rest and quality of life. Give it time. It'll grow on you

Ah, the bravado of youth!

I was you, once.

That said, I still don't have a car payment on stuff I drive.

Probably changing this week though...trucks are stupidly expensive now, and mostly used-up, for the money I want to spend, so it's time to up the game. Owning a trailer and not having a tow rig is pointless.

See post 6952, joe knows.

• Agree
Reactions: Clutch
Well..... I'm nearing retirement age vs being a young-gun. Never had 'new car payments' & I was able to get a loan for a house when I was 35 so that didn't significantly impact things for me. But, I also had been @ my job for 15yrs, had no outstanding payment obligations, & had money in the bank.

I get the new car deal but I've only had used/older cars for the most part. Buy them, do my personal tweaks w/o going overboard on the investment vs return, & drive them for years basically for the cost of driving any vehicle per year (registration fee's, proper insurance coverage). I was able to re-sell them & broke even or I made money. Can't do that w/a new car unless the market is crap like current. Typically it was drive a new car off the lot & it tanked in value 30%. If you had to get out from it you'd lose on your end of the deal. Everything was pre-computer until I bought a '93 Mustang x-DPS car around '98. I sold it in '00 to be interest free as far as credit-card debt while purchasing parts for other projects. I recouped all investment on that one & drove it for free.

Where you are on the map plays into this & not living in the rust-belt helps.

Last edited:
Well..... I'm nearing retirement age vs being a young-gun. Never had 'new car payments' & I was able to get a loan for a house when I was 35 so that didn't significantly impact things for me. But, I also had been @ my job for 15yrs, had no outstanding payment obligations, & had money in the bank.

I get the new car deal but I've only had used/older cars for the most part. Buy them, do my personal tweaks w/o going overboard on the investment vs return, & drive them for years basically for the cost of driving any vehicle per year (registration fee's, proper insurance coverage). I was either to re-sell them & broke even or I made money. Can't do that w/a new car unless the market is crap like current. Typically it was drive a new car off the lot & it tanked in value 30%. If you had to get out from it you'd lose on your end of the deal. Everything was pre-computer until I bought a'93 Mustang x-DPS car around '98. I sold it in '90 to be interest free as far as credit-card debt while purchasing parts for other projects. I recouped all investment on that one & drove it for free.

Where you are on the map plays into this & not living in the rust-belt helps.

Lack of rust is an absolute game changer. It's why my DDs are a 97 and 98 GMC pickup truck. Sure they crap out every once in a while, but since getting the 1500 back in 2009 it's only died on me once.

Spent last two days messing with other's and mine, again.

Impala had a major problem with the plug wires getting burnt on the headers. Accel shorty plugs and some creative denting solved that problem, after removing said headers. Just need to fix two stripped studs on one bolt on spacer and it will be town drivable as the tires are a little old. Tomorrow I source a new narrowed rear axle.

Then moved the Boxster under it's own power for the first time in around 8 months , drove down the street and back, then parked until I can get all the fluids changed, serpentine belt/idler pulleys, and a passenger window regulator.

And my buddy bought another 72 Impala convertible.

Well, ehrm it wasn’t so much what I did to my non G Body, as it was more….. what the thing did to itself tbfh.

And that was driving home last night from celebrating my 28th birthday, and all of a sudden the exhaust got a lot louder haha.

So earlier today I go outside for a view and see whats going on, and my Caprice decided to say, delete? Hahaha yeah… to hell with the muffler and the MTO, heres a straight pipe kiddo! Happy f**kin birthday 🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣

(And if my Caprice could talk, it would have some old school mobster voice from 1980’s NYC, so i do hope that adds some comedic value to the above paraphrasing of it 😭😭😭👌)

————————————————
Anyway before this gets longer, being how this is my first vehicle straight piped, hearing the engine rumble naturally, this is how I will explain it to my friends who don’t have classic cars as hobbies-

Having an 8 cylinder engine, with mufflers is like getting laid with a condom.

Sure it’s good. But… wouldn’t you rather have all of it feeling natural? 😜😜😜😂

Last edited:
Still never gonna own a vehicle I can't buy outright.
A house is a different story. But the way sh*ts going my generation ain't never gonna be able to afford one anyway.

Anywho, did nothing to it. Priced a starter. Ps comes and goes despite being full. I think the new pump is either bad or the internal filter it might have is clogged. It's been doing this since BEFORE I took the box out.

Still never gonna own a vehicle I can't buy outright.
A house is a different story. But the way sh*ts going my generation ain't never gonna be able to afford one anyway.

So many are just content with always having a payment. I work with folks who have zero notion of ever owning a car or house outright. I don't like payments, but I've had/have them and will continue to do so in the future. But a $900/mo truck payment? I guess I'm not adult enough to drop 60 grand on a damn vehicle. I prefer something I can kill in 2-3 years. Right now my only debt is my mortgage and HELOC (which is basically my hangar, so also real estate). Once you buy into something semi-expensive, it gets easier to buy up assuming you've either paid it off or put significant equity into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor