What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yeah I used to think like that too. Eventually old rust buckets lose their glamor when you're depending on them to get you to work reliably. When I wake up for work at 4am on a Monday morning and it's snowing, I just want to get in, turn the key and go.
Problem is new cars still rust out fast in the rust belt. I seen trucks less than 5 years old with swiss cheese rockers and fenders in my area. Dealerships don't work for cheap either, sometimes they can't even do repairs until the OEM engineers develop software patches and release them to the service depts. Newness is fleeting, new cars age into being old much faster than most want to accept.

The issue with debt is the risk, its a money lever. When things are going good it can enhance your finances like a lever giving you a mechanical advantage, however, if things suddenly turn bad it will lever your financial woes even worse. Debt is a real double edge sword so you need to be very careful how much you take on.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Problem is new cars still rust out fast in the rust belt. I seen trucks less than 5 years old with swiss cheese rockers and fenders in my area. Dealerships don't work for cheap either, sometimes they can't even do repairs until the OEM engineers develop software patches and release them to the service depts. Newness is fleeting, new cars age into being old much faster than most want to accept.

The issue with debt is the risk, its a money lever. When things are going good it can enhance your finances like a lever giving you a mechanical advantage, however, if things suddenly turn bad it will lever your financial woes even worse. Debt is a real double edge sword so you need to be very careful how much you take on.

Honestly, this was a factor in me deciding to buy an F150 a few years back. I know it's not going to rust out at least.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

thats another reason. my f250 has had 46 years to marinate in brine, the rustiest trucks i see on a daily basis are consistently GMT900s. once in a blue moon ill see an obs chevy or an 800 as bad or worse than my truck, at least from afar. why pay that much for inferior quality parts, metals, plastic sh*t, and repair procedures so convoluted that you almost have to have a chemical engineering degree to change the coolant. In the modern times we're living in, when a manufacturer can literally paywall you out of hvac functions it makes me want a new vehicle even less. The absolute newest I would ever go as far as trucks is the gmt800s. my buddy had one with 330k on it before the rear end exploded when we tried to leave his driveway. $1500 beater vehicles all day. Even if I ever trick someone into starting a family, a trailblazer from the early 2000s would suffice just fine.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Uh-huh, and more headroom and no hanging the arm out the window routine. Bench seats front and rear and 6 full sized adults can cruise in comfort, unless, of course, someone had tacos with refried beans for lunch.............................

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Made a run over to the yard this morning with one of the EV6 injectors to see if they had a harness on the shelf. Jr. figures there's one out in the yard and has a ticket on the hook for Alf to take a look for it. I would have said dig it out but that is closer to the truth than just an expression. A lot of the hulks are unapproachable due to being about buried in show. And the weatherheads are chortling about another 12" of heavy wet white crap that is supposed to rain on our parade locally for the next 24-48 hours. Double Bother.

Good thing for the day was that the mail courier showed up with a box of parts from Dennis Kirk that I had ordered. Got to spend a few hours down the basement shop assembling a second CV-40 for my Indian project. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, the purists will be doing scales to warm up their vocal chords in preparation for all the whining and sniveling to come concerning period incorrect parts. A pox on the lot of 'em, sez I. Bouncing on a kicker and trying to get a Linkert to cooperate is not high on my list of things that I enjoy. In fact it is so low that it has to look up to see the belly of an earthworm. I seem to recall a comment to the effect that a carburetor is nothing more than a slow fuel leak in progress, well that about sums up the Linkert Carburetor. Suckers don't even have an accelerator pump.

Nick

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Uh-huh, and more headroom and no hanging the arm out the window routine. Bench seats front and rear and 6 full sized adults can cruise in comfort, unless, of course, someone had tacos with refried beans for lunch.............................

Nick

That's where electric windows are king. That is, as long as you have the lock switch and are the driver.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Or secretly installed an ejector seat ala James Bond and made sure the culprit was seated where he/she could be jettisoned as necessary.

Nick

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX

Nick
Got those fancy back seat wing windows for the taco ghosts, no problemo there.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Remembering the joys of puppy proofing & trying not to make the flooring wall to wall puppy pads. Last dog spoiled us on how quick & easy it was for him to be house broken.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor