What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Been working on a frame swap on my 09 2500 ECSB Chevy pickup, that I wrecked.. enjoying some rust belt fun🙄.. picked up some clean used control arms to replace the ones I cut, but new ball joints in.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_160222845.jpg
    IMG_20231130_160222845.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231130_161347600.jpg
    IMG_20231130_161347600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20231202_105239634_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231202_105239634_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20231202_123602653.jpg
    IMG_20231202_123602653.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20231202_132523282.jpg
    IMG_20231202_132523282.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
Upgraded the under cabinet lighting in The Skunkworks to full length LED. What a vast improvement over the couple old ancient dim fluorescents I had in there before.

Only 2 switches and 2 outlets used means I get a bunch of my electrical outlets back which is a big plus. Should make it a little easier on these aging old eyes. The last couple pictures are with the overhead lights completely turned off, still more than enough light to work on the countertops even without them.

Off:
View attachment 231348

On:
View attachment 231349

With the overhead lights off:
View attachment 231353

View attachment 231350

View attachment 231351

View attachment 231352

View attachment 231354

View attachment 231355
Man! Nice shop, wish I could keep my bench even somewhat clean seeing that.

Got new shoes on the Taco ( now ready for the white stuff). Then got it oil coated. Worked on a portable compressor for my brother. He’d forgotten it was in the bucket of the backhoe and dumped it on the ground. It’s an old Titan Industrial one so parts are not easy to find. Think I can save the muffler, gas tank is iffy. But a plastic part on the carb broke. May be repaired but iffy due to age. And needs new air filters. If I can’t find the gas tank I told him we’d use a old fire extinguisher as a one gallon tank.😏And I’m to modify it for bigger wheel barrel tires,
IMG_5372.jpeg

Got new shoes on the Taco ( now ready for the white stuff). Then got it oil coated. Worked on a portable compressor for my brother. He’d forgotten it was in the bucket of the backhoe and dumped it on the ground. It’s an old Titan Industrial one so parts are not easy to find. Think I can save the muffler, gas tank is iffy. But a plastic part on the carb broke. May be repaired but iffy due to age. And needs new air filters. If I can’t find the gas tank I told him we’d use a old fire extinguisher as a one gallon tank.😏And I’m to modify it for bigger wheel barrel tires, View attachment 231913

Get the plastic carb bit 3D printed if you can't find one on the shelf.

My $900 4 wheeler managed to get me through my tree clearing project with almost no major issues, so I figured it was time to do a little bit of work to it so it would actually be reliable instead of just good enough.

My first step was figuring out why it blows an ignition fuse when it gets cold. A little time with a shunt current meter told me that it was pulling about 15 more amps than it should be but would run fine without anything on the wiring harness getting hot. I then found that my throttle cable was getting quite warm, which lead me to the carburetor heater. Apparently the chinesium carb heater on my replacement carb had shorted internally and was putting all that power through the carb body itself. I have the heater from the old carb but since I can't get a wrench on it without having the carb on a bench, I just unplugged it and called it a day until I have a reason to take that thing out again.

Next step is fixing the clapped out front end. Somehow spending it's whole life as a mud toy for a family of boys tends to be hard on things.

Once I got it tore down far enough to get the front differential out for rebuild, I have already found a laundry list of other things that need replaced as well. If it gets greased or has gear oil in it, it's a fair bet that it is trash.

I got the front differential apart and found all the bearings and seals are trashed, but not so far gone that the case is damaged yet. The mud soup that drained out of the input shaft seal just from lifting the front end up was a sight to see.

20231203_005233.jpg
20231203_134205.jpg
20231203_134215.jpg

I'll be putting in my order for the other front end stuff at the Honda dealer when Monday comes around, but this differential has a date with the chem dip can and a bearing kit.

My $900 4 wheeler managed to get me through my tree clearing project with almost no major issues, so I figured it was time to do a little bit of work to it so it would actually be reliable instead of just good enough.

My first step was figuring out why it blows an ignition fuse when it gets cold. A little time with a shunt current meter told me that it was pulling about 15 more amps than it should be but would run fine without anything on the wiring harness getting hot. I then found that my throttle cable was getting quite warm, which lead me to the carburetor heater. Apparently the chinesium carb heater on my replacement carb had shorted internally and was putting all that power through the carb body itself. I have the heater from the old carb but since I can't get a wrench on it without having the carb on a bench, I just unplugged it and called it a day until I have a reason to take that thing out again.

Next step is fixing the clapped out front end. Somehow spending it's whole life as a mud toy for a family of boys tends to be hard on things.

Once I got it tore down far enough to get the front differential out for rebuild, I have already found a laundry list of other things that need replaced as well. If it gets greased or has gear oil in it, it's a fair bet that it is trash.

I got the front differential apart and found all the bearings and seals are trashed, but not so far gone that the case is damaged yet. The mud soup that drained out of the input shaft seal just from lifting the front end up was a sight to see.

View attachment 231914View attachment 231915View attachment 231916

I'll be putting in my order for the other front end stuff at the Honda dealer when Monday comes around, but this differential has a date with the chem dip can and a bearing kit.
Chewy with a side order of gooey

The hundreds of miles a week ive been putting on the k1500 have taken their toll on the radiator and exhaust. Exhaust was crunchy before hand, now it's basically running open manifolds and the radiator is leaking between the core and tank on the passenger side.

The doors are also basically falling off, I've heard good things about Cunningham machine bushings.

Reactions: Ugly1
The hundreds of miles a week ive been putting on the k1500 have taken their toll on the radiator and exhaust. Exhaust was crunchy before hand, now it's basically running open manifolds and the radiator is leaking between the core and tank on the passenger side.

The doors are also basically falling off, I've heard good things about Cunningham machine bushings.
The door hinge pins bad? Or rust?

Reactions: joesregalproject

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor